Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

The iphone "was" a good platform, for everyone else to jump off of.. Not leaving ... Smartphone Reviews forum

CardiacSmashin no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

The iphone "was" a good platform, for everyone else to jump off of.. Not leaving my Pearl, Not until the Thunder Cracks!!

BBCakes no está en línea Stack level 1
    One place I have had some (minor) frustration is finding apps for my 8800. Before anyone jumps on me, what I mean to say is that while I can find apps, I would love to see a single source for RIM approved apps like the app store for the iphone/ipod touch. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use the desktop manager software to get new apps. I'd be willing to bet that something like that would encourage potential bb users to make the jump to a bb. I have an ipod touch (sure, its no iphone) but I've also got a mobileme subscription that I use, and I agree, it is far from what it should be.I don't mind having to use itunes to add apps to my touch.It's just not the painful experience that some might make it out to be.

I am considering an iphone purchase later this year, but any purchase won't happen until november, so I will be able to check out the bold to see if that is a better option for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BBCakes no está en línea Stack level 1
    One place I have had some (minor) frustration is finding apps for my 8800. Before anyone jumps on me, what I mean to say is that while I can find apps, I would love to see a single source for RIM approved apps like the app store for the iphone/ipod touch. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use the desktop manager software to get new apps. I'd be willing to bet that something like that would encourage potential bb users to make the jump to a bb. I have an ipod touch (sure, its no iphone) but I've also got a mobileme subscription that I use, and I agree, it is far from what it should be.I don't mind having to use itunes to add apps to my touch.It's just not the painful experience that some might make it out to be.

I am considering an iphone purchase later this year, but any purchase won't happen until november, so I will be able to check out the bold to see if that is a better option for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MichaelScott no está en línea Stack level 1
    ^ do iphone's double post?

BRGFATHER no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249EF5E7

perfect set up

Perfect set is a Curve 8310 and an itouch until the Bold.

mikedc no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME View Post
    I have to agree...the iPhone is pretty appealing. Even to an affectionado of BB's like myself. I have found myself at times envious of those who have there iPhones. Just have the iPod and Phone all in one is a strong selling point for myself. But I always fall back on the Berry... Can't let myself part with it, and since the 9000 series is on the way, that may be my required fix for having "new generation" BB with a touch screen.
    So you think the 9000 serious will be the best blackberry ever or what the scoup on the 9000?

zimmmeister no está en línea Stack level 1
    My son works at the Apple store and he and my daughter have iphones, and he talked my wife into getting an iphone. She is not a bb user but I have the 8830 and have been tempted to get an iphone - they are very nice to use - if you've gone from a windows pc to a mac you know what I'm talking about. The device is really nice for certain things like looking at photos and surfing the net. I've read many reviews and think they are both excellent phones. I agree with the person that said that iphone leans towards the consumer and bb leans towards the business user. Both do some great things. Having a real keyboard seems great although I'm always mistyping cause they are small - I don't know if I'd like the virtual keyboard of the iphone - it would take time to get used to. What I miss most is the camera feature so perhaps when the bold or thunder come out maybe I'll be happy. OTOH the BB I use is not the greatest for web surfing and the iphone shines in that area - not talking about speed here - the BB is always giving me "not able to receive data" type messages. I've yet to have that problem using the wife's iphone. And the wi-fi feature is very nice.
    If I never used a BB I know I'd own an iphone right now. Having been used to BB for 2 years, I will take my time before switching. As apps come out from Apple's app store it make eliminate some of the problems and missing functions people have attacked the iphone on - then again as BB comes out with newer phones maybe the envy will be gone.

IMO they are both great phones. It's like arguing chevy is better than ford or oranges taste better than apples. All personal preferences.

spike41615 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BD9F4
    yes cherri i did jump ship completely...i still have my curve and pearl for testing themes that i make....

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    Mike, did you jump ship completely? We haven't talked on bbm, and i saw this post!

At this point, the 3g doesn't help me anyway bc its non-existent in my area of cali ..

ps. i LOVE eye-candy too

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    I spoke with Apple support last night concerning my 3G problems. He said that this is a common problem and they and ATT are still trying to figure out what is going on. The problem is that even though I am smack-dab in the middle of 3G coverage, I get 1 bar or "no signal", and the phone won't switch to 2G. The Apple guy had me go through power-cycling and switching the antennas on and off to no avail, and he suggested I go to the AT&T store to try a new SIM to rule that out.

I was at the AT&T store and the guy checked my home location to locate where my towers are. I'm actually in the middle of 4 sets of towers all capable of 3G. Problem is there are 2 highways (perpendicular to each other) that cross near my house, and 3 of these antennas are aimed (he said something like the 3G signal can be aimed depending on time of day and conditions) so the bulk of the signal is to the highways away from my house. The 4th tower isn't sufficient to give me a strong 3G signal. He also said they are currently updating the towers to fix this "shadow" problem, but that'll take awhile to get to all the towers.

And concerning the "no signal" instead of switching to 2G...he said this is most likely an OS problem...it's not aggressive enough to switch to the stronger signal and it'll try to hold on to the 3G signal, even though the trace of it is so low that the phone can't do anything, hence the "no signal" message (even when it says "no signal", there may still be a hint of a signal the phone is trying to lock on to).

And he switched SIMs for me and that didn't do anything, but at least we can rule that problem out. I made a comment about the 30 day remorse period. I told him that Apple and AT&T are telling me these problems will be resolved so I can use 3G, but there's no exact time-frame, which means that if I keep the phone past the 30 days, I'm screwed and forced to pay 3G prices when i can't use 3G and all I have to go on is their report that it's being worked on.

I'm going to talk to AT&T and see if they will extend the remorse period for me, because it's not right. One of the selling points of the iPhone 3G is 3G! But if it can't be used in a 3G area because of their problems, then a customer should have some recourse because they are paying 3G prices for the plan.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oh, and it turns out the guy I spoke with is the resident Apple "fan", but he uses a Blackberry and won't switch to an iPhone, pretty much for a lot of the reasons I stated. He told me he has seen and played with the Bold, and it is AT THE WAREHOUSE waiting for deployment...but the reason it was delayed 'til September was because of an agreement between AT&T and Apple. Apple stipulated that no new smartphones can be intro'd within 30 days of the iPhone launch, and then extended it to 60 days.

Take that with a grain of salt, but considering the timing of when the delays are reported, it sounds like it could be true.

Anyone know what the procedure is to reactivate an old T-mo account? Like if I do decide to return the phone inside the remorse period, do I have to re-sign with T-mo for 2 years or will they just reactivate my account like if I just had it suspended for a month?
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Director447 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have to agree,I tried a I-phone for 3 days, and sold it and went back to my 8300 curve. Plus the i-phone data plan costs $10.00 over the data plan for the BB. I would say its like a comparing a red corvette to a red porsche, they are both very nice sporty cars, but the red porsche is the Blackberry and what would you like to drive? you know the I-phone has some glitz, but ease of operation , features , its no comparison the BB rocks. bye Director447

josephcaraccio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a987a7
    Quote Originally Posted by Antgod View Post
    new phones are always tough give it time
    I bought a curve and it took me about 20 minutes to be using it with no problems!
    nonnasmyladie [@] vzw [Dot] blackberry [dot] net

PIN: 31a987a7

josephcaraccio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a987a7
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
    I spoke with Apple support last night concerning my 3G problems. He said that this is a common problem and they and ATT are still trying to figure out what is going on. The problem is that even though I am smack-dab in the middle of 3G coverage, I get 1 bar or "no signal", and the phone won't switch to 2G. The Apple guy had me go through power-cycling and switching the antennas on and off to no avail, and he suggested I go to the AT&T store to try a new SIM to rule that out.

I was at the AT&T store and the guy checked my home location to locate where my towers are. I'm actually in the middle of 4 sets of towers all capable of 3G. Problem is there are 2 highways (perpendicular to each other) that cross near my house, and 3 of these antennas are aimed (he said something like the 3G signal can be aimed depending on time of day and conditions) so the bulk of the signal is to the highways away from my house. The 4th tower isn't sufficient to give me a strong 3G signal. He also said they are currently updating the towers to fix this "shadow" problem, but that'll take awhile to get to all the towers.

And concerning the "no signal" instead of switching to 2G...he said this is most likely an OS problem...it's not aggressive enough to switch to the stronger signal and it'll try to hold on to the 3G signal, even though the trace of it is so low that the phone can't do anything, hence the "no signal" message (even when it says "no signal", there may still be a hint of a signal the phone is trying to lock on to).

And he switched SIMs for me and that didn't do anything, but at least we can rule that problem out. I made a comment about the 30 day remorse period. I told him that Apple and AT&T are telling me these problems will be resolved so I can use 3G, but there's no exact time-frame, which means that if I keep the phone past the 30 days, I'm screwed and forced to pay 3G prices when i can't use 3G and all I have to go on is their report that it's being worked on.

I'm going to talk to AT&T and see if they will extend the remorse period for me, because it's not right. One of the selling points of the iPhone 3G is 3G! But if it can't be used in a 3G area because of their problems, then a customer should have some recourse because they are paying 3G prices for the plan.
    so you should have just not got an iphone
    nonnasmyladie [@] vzw [Dot] blackberry [dot] net

PIN: 31a987a7

rsto no está en línea Stack level 2
    When the 3g iphone was released i was given an original iphone, now since im using tmo instead of at&t the 3g portion really doesnt make a difference to me, maybe in the coming months when they roll out 3g in houston it could, but for now im good. I do have to say i do miss quite a few of the bb pearl features. This is my, i guess you could say "critique" of the 2.

-First off, the iphone is quite a bit heavier, which sometimes is nice, makes it feel more durable to me.
    -Since the only portion of my plan that changed was the "title" of my mobile web feature (from bb add on to reg. mobile web) i cant comment on the price plans, although im positive that since mine is unlocked im actually getting all the same features that "unhacked" customers are getting and more, like mms and ability to customize.
    -Speaking of customizing, as nice as it is to changed the themes and stuff, it isnt near as extensive as whats possible to do on my pearl. Icons are what the maker chooses and same with main screen backgrounds. And dont get me started on ringtones, while you can give certain people custom ringtones, thats where it stops, no sms, mms, email, alarm, keyboard sounds can be edited, not even with the ringtone maker i have for the thing!!
    -The virtual keyboard, man oh man how i miss having a tactile keyboard that i can feel where im at, i got so used to texting and emails that i wouldnt even have to look at the pearl, not to mention while driving is damn near impossible with the iphone
    -While it all is virtual on the screen i do like the fact of the screen blacking out when you put it to your face to talk on the phone, no possibility of pressing buttons, which became a bit of an annoyance to me.
    -Although the pearl outshines the iphone in many ways, i do have to agree with just about everyone when they say the internet portion of the iphone blows any cell device out of the water. My only frustration is that the tmo edge service isnt that fast, so load times are quite annoying, but no other device has that type of web browser, so its something that can be justified to me.
    -Although the integration of the ipod is involved and is pretty simple to use, and capacity is amazing, the pearl was outstanding as far as overall volume of the unit. Fortunately the iphone vibrates quite a bit more noticeable when placed in my pocket, theres still the volume that i cant quite hear, even with the custom ringtones made.
    -I have yet to notice whether or not the feature of having to slide to unlock is that bothersome, since even with the holster putting my bb into sleep mode, i still locked the keys (force of habit). So to me its not inconvenient to do so.
    -The instant notification of email was amazing at first, yet my only complaint is that the majority of my emails i recieve are junk mail, since i cant sync my work email up to it. So i eventually turned the email notification off so i would only know by the asterisk left on my screen.
    -I do have to admit that i have grown accustomed to the flash feature of the pearl, but for some reason the pictures seemed to come out grainy on my pearl, i have the 8100 for tmo. I can say that i think the iphone has a better picture quality than my pearl did, but i also feel as though i did beat it up and sadly enough dropped it a few times.

Im sure many of you will agree, or disagree with me on some of these things, and may not think im the smartest one for switching to the iphone, but im not looking for sophistication, yes its a lifeline to some people, but im still young so im looking for entertainment, and yes i found that in the pearl, but more so in my mind with the iphone. Thats where apple hit the spot, many people want some sort of simplicity in a phone, which the iphone is a bit more dumbed down, they went for cool device which they did just that of. The bb is still more business oriented which is great in many ways, nobody will ever top RIM in that aspect, there will be many imitators but never an equal. I know that i will never give up my pearl, hell i even told my parents no, even when they offered to buy it off me, i have grown attached to that thing. Again this is my 2 cents on the so called "debate" of which is better. For sophistication, hands down the Blackberry, and for right now, with the entertainment portion, Apple takes this one. It is a tough choice to some, but for others its clear, obviously im torn between the 2 and i know that somewhere down the road i will go back to bb, but for right now, im enjoying the "coolness" of the iphone.

Tim_W no está en línea Stack level 2
    Good information. I never considered getting an iphone. I enjoy my Blackberry!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast