drice30721 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20EF37F6

Advertisement

Great review. Keep us updated.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    I bought an iPod touch, and I love it! The Wifi, web, apps and games are great - not to mention the music.

Granted, it's not a BB, but it has all the great features of the iPhone without the phone aspect. It's a great device!

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Amazing review, thanks so much for your time.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

upmost777 no está en línea Stack level 1
    One thing that was mentioned was how it is 3g and BB wasn't. Sprint has had 3g on bb for a long time and now with the evdo you can watch movies at very high speeds much faste then 3g

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by spike41615 View Post
    I picked up an iphone 3g on opening day and have loved every minute of it. I used to hate iTunes/apple...but as i used it more i started liking it more and more. At times i miss being a little faster in typing on the BB qwerty. BUt i love the eye candy of the iphone OS hands down best os. Safari rocks. The app store is awesome. I like how it ties in with my mac which RIM continues to ignore all together. I have also had mobile me since the 11th and have been lucky enough to not have a single problem with it. Jailbroken it is even better. People dogging on jailbreaking are seriously retarded and dont know what they're talking about when they complaing about "voiding" their warranty. It is literally impossible to brick one for good. IF it does get bricked somehow you can always reconnect to iTunes and restore....ALWAYS.
    And how does jailbreaking make an iphone more business friendly and efficient as a blackberry? Jailbreaking does not support copy/paste. Jailbreaking does not add instant new-message when waking the phone up from sleep nor adds auto-sleep when put into magnet equipped cases. Jailbreaking does not make Mobile Me support proxy servers or allow Mobile Me to sync with Google. Jailbreaking won't magically make navigating the touchscreen more efficient. Jailbreaking won't allow you to set different profiles with different tones for each event or each mailbox (which was VERY usefule...I could tell which mailbox an email came from to know whether I could ignore it or not). Plus, jailbreaking is broken each time Apple rolls out a new update.

So someone wants to install themes and turn their iPhone into an Nintendo emulator...great! But warranty voiding or not, anyone who wants to turn their iphone into an efficient/user-friendly/get-things-done device gains nothing by jailbreaking. People who would rather enjoy the iPhone's "eye candy" while giving up many strengths of a Blackberry, such as yourself, will of course enjoy the iPhone more after jailbreaking it. But then again that exposes the big difference between these 2 devices...one you primarily work on and maybe have some play on it, the other you primarily play on and maybe have some work on it. On the latter device, jailbreaking allows for more play, not work, and therefore does not change the differences between the strengths of a Blackberry vs. the strenghts of an iPhone.
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-26-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by upmost777 View Post
    One thing that was mentioned was how it is 3g and BB wasn't. Sprint has had 3g on bb for a long time and now with the evdo you can watch movies at very high speeds much faste then 3g
    Don't forget Verizon also.

But the problem there is that Sprint and Verizon were always the redheaded stepchildren of all the carriers...they usually got the popular phones LAST, or not at all.

3G (or even GPS), is not worth upgrading an old iPhone to the new iPhone, unless you are in an area that has good coverage and actually need to download a lot quickly. Battery life is a problem, even with 3G and GPS turned off. I can't believe how closely I have to monitor battery life on the iPhone these last couple days. With regular usage, I cannot go over a day without having to charge it. My BB I can trust to go 3 days without charging with regular usage.

PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
    People who would rather enjoy the iPhone's "eye candy" while giving up many strengths of a Blackberry, such as yourself, will of course enjoy the iPhone more after jailbreaking it. But then again that exposes the big difference between these 2 devices...one you primarily work on and maybe have some play on it, the other you primarily play on and maybe have some work on it. On the latter device, jailbreaking allows for more play, not work, and therefore does not change the differences between the strengths of a Blackberry vs. the strenghts of an iPhone.
    How does this differ from those who download the latest RIM OS updates from other carriers? Better flash back to your carrier's most recent software release before you take it in for any warranty/technical issues.
    Last edited by wxboss; 07-26-2008 at 10:00 PM.

cabinets no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hate to say it, but I migrated to the iPhone 3g, and wow! This thing really rocks! May come back one day, but not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post
    How does this differ from those who download the latest RIM OS updates from other carriers? Better flash back to your carrier's most recent software release before you take it in for any warranty/technical issues.
    The difference is that the person installing the BB OS update from another carrier isn't doing it because features are missing or they want to do something that the phone was not equipped to do, while a person jailbreaking an iphone is trying to do more than what the phone allows you to do while in jail.

Nonetheless, jailbreaking still does not add features to the iphone that I pointed out in my original post. If jailbreaking got me those features that are strengths on a BB, then I would jailbreak it tonight. But it does not, so why go through the hassle?

PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
    The difference is that the person installing the BB OS update from another carrier isn't doing it because features are missing or they want to do something that the phone was not equipped to do...
    I'm sorry, but I must disagree here. The reason people upgrade is so that they can add features to their phones that were not there previously. Please don't try and convince me or others here that there aren't issues or gripes about the software releases that RIM offers. To contradict 'Jail breaking' with the downloading another carrier's RIM OS for the sake of functionality and performance and options is ludicrous.

Besides, why would RIM provide an update that equipped the phone to do something it wasn't supposed to??
    Last edited by wxboss; 07-26-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post
    I'm sorry, but I must disagree here. The reason people upgrade is so that they can add features to their phones that were not there previously. Please don't try and convince me or others here that there aren't issues or gripes about the software releases that RIM offers. To contradict 'Jail breaking' with the downloading another carrier's RIM OS for the sake of functionality and performance and options is ludicrous.

Besides, why would RIM provide an update that equipped the phone to do something it wasn't supposed to??
    If you disagree, please give me a couple examples...

What added features does one get by upgrading a BB to a more recent OS? The only thing I can think of is a slightly better web browser and a video recorder, but that's it. The other "features" are more stability related. Plus it is always best practice to run with the most up to date software, so if someone wants to jump the gun and install an OS from RIM that's from another carrier, it's only for the better. And anytime RIM introduces a new OS, it doesn't "break" the previous OS.

Speaking of the iphone, what examples of features do you have for a jailbroken iphone that addresses the missing features listed in the original post? If my argument is so "ludicrous", then please provide REAL EXAMPLES to support your argument.

The simple fact that one is installing an UP TO DATE operating system issued by the manufacturer and the other is HACKING the operating system to install programs UNAPPROVED by the manufacturer is a world of difference in itself, so your analogy of jailbreaking an iphone to installing an OS from a different vendor on a BB is ludicrous.
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-26-2008 at 11:37 PM.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ And the debate rages on.... I have to admit that I'm actually getting really tired of the debate between Iphone and BB. Even people who see my 8800 ask "is that better than an Iphone?" I've even been asked if my BB IS an Iphone (I kid you not!). I've seen it posted many times that each device has its ups and downs, Why aren't we putting WM devices in the debate?

Windows mobile has let you edit and view MS office docs long before OS 4.5, but we don't see as many posts arguing between the pros/cons of those devices and the BB.

And this Joker goin' on about Apple could buy RIM with Petty cash! Get back in your box! Bring something concrete to the debate or don't flap your gums.

But my point really is that we're all going round and round (and yes I was interested in the specs on the 3G iphone for a bit) about which one is better. I appreciate people trying to compare notes, but let's compare notes and not go on and on about Apple v. RIM. Because honestly who cares?

Might as well keep arguing about Wii v Xbox 360 v PS3. All those consoles are great for different reasons, but it's a matter of preference.

So let's compare notes and stop this playground BS of "BB Killer" and "Iphone killer."

My 2 cents.

gtiger no está en línea Stack level 1
    i defected last year to an iphone after the 1st version came out. i hated the damn thing, not loud enough alerts. lousy keyboard. lack of customizability. i didnt keep th iphone for more than 6 months. went back to my pearl and am happy as ever. i would not make that mistake again. iphone is a toy for teenagers. apple has created a hype with good marketing and i must agree that i was stupid enough to buy into the hype.

MichaelScott no está en línea Stack level 1

bout time

about time we see a decent review about the iphone from someone who knows what other phones can do.

I do not deny that the iphone is super slick with its touch goodness and beautiful OS. I have toyed with a few in the apple store and am starting to concede that the touch keyboard could be usable but that aside... it still doesn't seem very efficient.

Simple Point: Call a Contact.
    On blackberry from home or apps screen I simply have to type the first 3 or 4 letters of someone's name and I instantly have access to contacting them via call, sms, email, sms, mms, or instant message. it is super quick.

On iphone you have to open up Contacts and then SEARCH via flicking and scrolling. yeah it looks awesome but what a waste of time. forget about doing it one-handed. I don't care how fast you are... any blackberry user could do this one handed (while driving even) in half the time.

I have been super tempted to give the iphone a try but I'm hoping the Bold will be a tremendous upgrade from my pearl (which i totally love)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by spike41615 View Post
    I picked up an iphone 3g on opening day and have loved every minute of it. I used to hate iTunes/apple...but as i used it more i started liking it more and more. At times i miss being a little faster in typing on the BB qwerty. BUt i love the eye candy of the iphone OS hands down best os. Safari rocks. The app store is awesome. I like how it ties in with my mac which RIM continues to ignore all together. I have also had mobile me since the 11th and have been lucky enough to not have a single problem with it. Jailbroken it is even better. People dogging on jailbreaking are seriously retarded and dont know what they're talking about when they complaing about "voiding" their warranty. It is literally impossible to brick one for good. IF it does get bricked somehow you can always reconnect to iTunes and restore....ALWAYS.
    Mike, did you jump ship completely? We haven't talked on bbm, and i saw this post!

At this point, the 3g doesn't help me anyway bc its non-existent in my area of cali ..

ps. i LOVE eye-candy too

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast