Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Some background info: Had an 8100 with T-mo since they came out with it, almost ... Smartphone Reviews forum

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Just defected to iPhone 3G from my 8320...here's my review

Advertisement

Some background info: Had an 8100 with T-mo since they came out with it, almost 2 years ago (and almost to the end of my contract in Oct). I got an 8320 several months back (4-5 months or more..not sure???) and it was a nice improvement over my old 8100.

The 8320 served me very well and I was satisfied with it. My buddy said I should try out the iPhone and I resisted for awhile, especially considering the BB Minutes and Mail plan was more than enough for me for a great price. When canceling T-mo without ETF came up, it became a little more convincing and I decided to take a leap to see what the commotion was about 3 days ago. One of my tenants works at an Apple store, and I ran into him after he came home from work (around 4pm) and he told me they still had a bunch left, so I headed over to the Lehigh Valley store and there was only 1 person in line in front of me for an iphone (although by the time I left, there were 10 people).

Initial impressions...iPhone is very cool device (I had to get the white since they ran out of 16gb blacks) and build quality is above the 8320. It's a little heavier than an 8320, but is more evenly weighted and feels more substantial since it has no moving parts.

Impressions after 3 days...

First, the positives of the iPhone (over 8320 and most other current BB's...Bold should change this when it comes out):
    - Build quality of the iPhone
    - Screen resolution
    - 3G (although there are problems with it when the signal is weak...instead of switching to EDGE, it just goes to "no service". Solution is to turn off 3G which is bunk)
    - Web browser just rocks all over the BB's (and I had OS 4.5 installed)
    - iPod/media intergration (more memory, media navigation, video playing)
    - You get Apple stickers with an iPhone!

Now, things that the BB has all over the iPhone:
    - Customizability (custom ringtones, number of rings and/or vibrates, custom message/email tones for each event, themes, background, common message/email folder)
    - Email setup...even with Mobile Me, it SUCKS. First of all, there's no common inbox for emails and messages. Then there's no push for gmail unless you use Mobile Me or another 3rd party server. There's no push for non-enterprise work emails at all (ie BB redirector).
    - Contacts/Calendar sync...Mobile Me does NOT work with proxy servers currently, so no way to push contacts/calendars from Outlook to Mobile Me easily. I have to sync my work lappy outlook with Google, then sync from Google to my home lappy outlook, then from my home lappy outlook to Mobile Me, then to my phone. All this could have been easily done if it supported proxy servers, which is a BASIC functionality of any program of this caliber.
    - Keyboard...it's only been 3 days and I'm getting accustomed to the virtual keyboard, but why do i need 3 days to get "accustomed" to it when it took me an hour to get accustomed to a real qwerty on the BB? Only time will tell but there's definitely a larger learning curve with the iPhone keyboard.
    - No itunes...I HATE itunes, although it's required to use the app store and sync the iphone and shiz. For syncing my ipod and anything else, I use MediaMonkey, but have to resort to using iTunes if I want to sync with the iPhone.
    - Navigation...things were MUCH MORE efficient when navigating with a trackball than it is with a touchscreen. I can see the joy of using the iPhone touchscreen for most occasions and it works well, but for downright efficiency the BB trackball is tough to beat, especially when navigating through options and menus (ex. when setting up options, you don't have to move your finger from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen just to go back one level).
    - Battery life...it's not fair since the iPhone is 3G, but the battery life sucks. I had my 8320 with bluetooth on all the time, wi-fi on 8hrs a day, and would only need to charge at nearly 3 days. With bluetooth and wi-fi on for 8 hours on the iPhone (and 3G off), I'm already near the bottom of a charge at the end of the workday...it won't last through the night!
    - Camera...even without using the flash, the BB camera pics were much clearer. And the 8320 had a damn nice flash when you did need it.
    - the T-mo Minutes and Mail plan...$60 per month for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data was way more than enough for me. Now I am stuck with 450 minutes (which is enough), unlimited data, and only 200 messages for $75...and the 3G that's in my area SUCKS (ironically, the best 3G in my area is near the ghetto/center city where I don't have an urge to go to...I don't want my iPhone stolen!)

And then there are the little things that were taken for granted on the BB that I sorely miss now. For example, when I got a message on my BB, I pulled it out of the case and it woke up and jumped to the message...pretty much one move. On the iPHone, I have to pull it out of the case, hit the home key, slide my finger to unlock it, select mail or SMS, select the mail account the message is under, then select the new message. Another thing is message indicators...when I got a message on the BB while being away from it, the light would indicate that I missed an event (call, email, text, task, calendar or whatever). There is no such indication on the iPhone. If you missed the initial notification, you were in the dark until next time you take it out of sleep. And the proprietary Apple connector is a pain to use when other devices I use have the mini-USB like the BB. And programs like PW locker and Wallet that are free on the BB, it actually costs money on the Apple app store ($9.99 for the wallet like program if I recall...$2 or so for the PW locker).

I'm going to see if I can get used to it for another couple days, but for the guy who said that RIM is dead because the iPhone now has push email and exchange support, give me some of what he was smoking! RIM currently has NOTHING to worry about when it comes to corporate/professional use, and if they can penetrate the CONSUMER market further while improving the core business features, they should remain well ahead of Apple. The iPhone (and Mobile Me and other iphone related shiz) still has a long way to go to match the efficiency and convenience of Blackberries and actually seem very "dumbed down" for average consumers more worried about the coolness factor than efficiency/convenience/just-getting-things-done. It may be a popular CONSUMER device and people who came from something other than Blackberries may rave about it, but BB for the win when it comes to business use.

So for those that are tempted to defect from BB, take a couple more moments to think about it before doing so, you aren't missing much passing up the iPhone, but you might be missing much (from the BB) if you do defect.
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-26-2008 at 12:15 AM.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Great review, and no worries a MOD will move it to the appropriate forum

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~man great review good luck with it lol I'm tryin to persuade my brother away from the iphone and join the bb nation

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    If he had my phone he wouldn't be wanting that Iphone that much

mindbodysoul no está en línea Stack level 3
    Great review!!!! Thanks!! Staying with my curve!!

Antgod no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2148A220
    new phones are always tough give it time
    " B safe "

jeremyryerson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    oh no
    i had an iphone i like bb but iphone is wy more customizable i had xbox playstion and gameboy on mine i had an app that let u use any number in the world and disguise your voice and alot of themes so its not really an up but bb is stil way better
    -J_P_R-

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyryerson View Post
    i had an iphone i like bb but iphone is wy more customizable i had xbox playstion and gameboy on mine i had an app that let u use any number in the world and disguise your voice and alot of themes so its not really an up but bb is stil way better
    You may be right that an iPhone is more customizable AFTER jailbreaking, but that's the point...why do you have to do something that voids the warranty and gets effed up everytime they push out an update just to make it more customizable? Plus your idea of customize is to make it more of a consumer product. There's not much to customize it to make it more productive like the little things I mentioned with above. Like why do you have to hack music files just to add ringtones or have to pay for them when it should be a basic feature to let users add their own ring tones for free? Plus theres not even a way to add custom email alerts without jumping through hoops And I forgot to mention copy and paste...that's a very basic feature I took for granted that definitely increases efficiency.

Sure, a lot of the things a blackberry can do over an iPhone most casual consumers can live without, but the features that bb users take for granted that make bb's so powerful that the iPhone doesn't have really opens your eyes to how much more business and productivity friendly it is over the iPhone. My point is that when the bb fans and hardcore users say that a bb is better for productivity, he's right and it's more than just about having a tactile keypad. And my bet is that 90% of the people that think iPhones can compete with blackberry for enterprise and business have never even touched a blackberry or had any experience with setting up their push emails and contacts and calendar, but are rather just spouting out what their god, Jobs, tells them to believe.

Can I put up without these features and get used to them? We'll see in about 3 weeks right before the remorse period ends...but personally there's not much convincing me to stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antgod View Post
    new phones are always tough give it time
    Yes, but everytime I changed phones, my next one was always more of a pleasure to use than the previous and made getting used to it easier. This is the first time where I feel i'll get used to but will always be complaining about the missing features that I once took for granted in blackberries that I now have to make do without.

jonboywhite no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    247cf041
    From what I heard on opie and anthony, you can't even do straight up pic messages! You have to go to a website to view any incoming pic and its really tiny! Ill take functionality over flash anyday! I'm going to make love to my curve now! Hah! It always hurts till I get it halfway in my butt! Ok I wanna clarify that was a joke! But my curve IS the best phone I've ever had! And my butt hurts!

good1988 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The curve is a great all around phone but when it comes to play, Iphone has it beat.... Its like your daily commuter, but on the weekends you take out your toy...Mines was a 2006 GSXR 600 but got trashed

JakeHasABB no está en línea Stack level 2
    Good review. My brother has an iPhone and at first I was jealous but, after a few days my brother would pass by and see me with my BB and go "I wish my iPhone could do stuff like that!"

Jazzyl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2521CB60
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~BB rules I will stay with BB for life I just can't wait for the Bold to be released in South Africa so that I can upgrade from my beloved 8310 Curve..

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    thanks for the review mr. deeno. i will admit that i drove over to buy an iphone last sunday (my bday present to myself) but my local ATT store was out. i guess i was actually lucky. not sure if i will go thru with buying one now. the ONLY reason i have my bb is to keep up with 4 different schedules and get my email instantly. i haven't heard a lot of positive feedback for the mobile me/email. and honestly, my curve is perfect for what i need right now. heck, my 7100g was perfect for what i needed

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    I have to agree...the iPhone is pretty appealing. Even to an affectionado of BB's like myself. I have found myself at times envious of those who have there iPhones. Just have the iPod and Phone all in one is a strong selling point for myself. But I always fall back on the Berry... Can't let myself part with it, and since the 9000 series is on the way, that may be my required fix for having "new generation" BB with a touch screen.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast