Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey all! New to the forum and I'm glad I found all of you peeps. ... Smartphone Reviews forum

jcclow no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24546B45

Thumbs up Initial Impression of 8800 and the demise of my 8700 (LONG)

Advertisement

Hey all! New to the forum and I'm glad I found all of you peeps. Lots of good info here.

So I just got my 8800 today. Let me give you some background (this is worth reading). I had an 8700 up until last tuesday. About four months ago, I came off a weekend of working three 20 hour days in a row and I was sleeping on my couch. I awoke to a noise that sounded like a jet taking off in my apartment. I looked at my stereo and it was off. Strange. I sit up and put my feet in about 2 inches of water. The horrible noise was the 4" water main that burst in my apartment and filled it with 4" of water in under five minutes. While running around, getting stuff off the floor, I slip and fall and submerge my 8700 for a good minute. It shuts off. I take the battery out, let it dry and a day later it turns on. Cool!

Just three weeks ago, I went skiing up north. I set my 8700 on the TV stand and went to sleep. I received a bunch of emails in the night and my 8700 vibrated off the stand and onto the electric baseboard heater and lands perfectly atop the heater. I wake up in the morning to find my 8700, very hot and extremely pliable and not operating. I let it sit for two days and it amazingly turned on. Unfortunately it was pretty badly disfigured and didn't stay in the holster that well...

Which leads me to last tuesday. I went to a concert with friends. While running across the road to the stage, my 8700 falls out of the holster, unknown to me. While at the concert, I realize my 8700 is missing and re-trace my steps. I find my it in the road, smashed to pieces. Neat. I really think the phone was cursed. Or maybe I am...

OK, initial impressions. The thing is a tank. It is so much better constructed and rigid than the 8700. I think the trackball is a little too small, but I'm adapting. The screen is very bright and crystal clear. It really is the nicest screen I've seen on a device. I'm not a big fan of the leather holster. It's pretty, but I really liked the functionality, form and fit of the plastic holster (pre-disfigurement). The keyboard is a dream. The spacing of the keys is nice and I like the firm feeling of the keys. Once again, it worked perfectly out of the box and does everything I thought it would. I installed Google Maps and it works flawlessly. I am actually surprised how quickly the maps download using Edge. The phone is crystal clear and plenty loud enough. I actually have it set at about 2/3 volume and it sounds great. The ringer is obscenely loud and the vibration is very pronounced. Not impressed by the default themes, but more will appear with time.The dedicated menu button is a nice feature also. About my only complaint is in the messages folder. The C shortcut composes an email instead of giving me the option of SMS, PIN, MMS or email. It's a minor complaint in an otherwise beautiful device.

Finally, while I was at the Cingular store today, purchasing the 8800, a lady next to me asked me, "Doesn't it bother you how big it is?" I replied, "It is the most perfect phone I have ever used. It does absolutely everything I need it to and it does it perfectly. You just saw me spend nearly $600 on it and this is the third phone I've bought in a year and I'd buy another one tomorrow." Everyone just looked at me in awe and disbelief.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Initial Impression of 8800 and the demise of my 8700 (LONG)

Please take good care of that 8800. I am impressed the 8700 survived everything. You and your BB have some bad luck, hopefully with a new phone it will be all new luck
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Welcome to pinstack! Hope you enjoy your new 8800!

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I had almost the same experience with my 7290 and that thing is indestructable. I have dropped, kicked, soaked in water, soaked in soapy water, accidentally stepped on it, the dog grabbed it in his jaw (a German shepherd), and still the damn thing is running. However, soon when Rogers releases the 8800 up here I intend to replace my old side-kick. And it will go rest in the bottom drawer with all my other old gadgets.
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Great story! Welcome to the stacks.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

wow poor 8700... but that just shows how durable a BB could be . Congrats on owning the 8800!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

WOW I'm shocked the 8700 survived being melted LOL

I thought that would have been the end of it. I have seen some strange things in the thread "Dropped BlackBerry" but that takes the cake LMAO Enjoy your 8800.

mErlin21 no está en línea Stack level 1

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i hope the 8800 can take a beating like that.

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

I wish that the sceen on the 8800 was indented into the the phone like the 8700 is. The frame of the screen prevented most of the scratches.

Other than that, and the holster, I have zero complaints about this phone.

jcclow no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24546B45

I had photos of the 8700 that I sent to Blackberry, but I can't find them tight now. I was shocked when it turned on suddenly two days later. When I picked it up off the heater, the back of it was actually pliable. I was absolutely amazed.

Everytime I pick up my 8800, I like it even more. The keyboard is amazing. All of my friends are jealous and waiting for it to hit T-Mo.

wildeagle no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205AA9A9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I was playing with the 8800 at a release party today and I must say the track ball is very nice and I agree the keyboard is amazing. I will be getting mine in the mail next week and can't wait.

I feel bad for 8700. Mine has been dropped many times but no where near as bad as what you did to your's.
    Have fune with the 8800 and let us know if you destroy this one

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

cool story, hope you dig the 8800
    check out my crazy story
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rl_ate_my.html

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

I didn't melt my 8700, but I did drop it and the SIM actually was rejected until I reset the unit, I was just as relieved to have it back up and running. MELTED it, man.... I am VERY impressed! (and as mentioned before best of luck and congrats on the 8800!)
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

HAHA! Amazing story indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast