Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Hi Stackers, Im back to give my opinion on the 9700 after I posted the ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Thumbs up BOLD 9700 - 5 Days after...

Hi Stackers,

Im back to give my opinion on the 9700 after I posted the arrival of the great machine (original thread: http://forums.pinstack.com/f276/the_...ssions-116042/ ) and after extensive use and abuse in the last few days.

The BB:

It manages to be a solidly manufactured BB - no jitters, no creaks, and it feels like a well balanced phone when operated normally - I mean it feels good in your hand:
    Although the keyboard is a lot smaller then the original Bold, it´s comfortable ! My grubby fingers get around it quite easily. The extra height afforded by the space created by the silver horizontal "stripes" have something to do with this, I think.

The screen resolution and clarity is what BB has done very well lately. It´s a pity it´s smaller than the original Bold.

The optic sensor is magnificient - that´s all I need to say about this new gadget !!

The side rubber buttons are good as well - just hard enough not to press accidently, but ok when pressed intentionally.

The back of the phone (imitation leather grain) is ok for placing it on a smooth surface and not slip - ideal for in car use. For those who put in soft surfaces (chairs, sofa), be careful, because the speaker sound gets muffled a bit !

Camera - same as the 8900. Clear pictures, and a good "shake" control. The same for the video.

Sound is great (no news here) with earphones, but not those supplied standard with the BB. I prefer to use by Jabra Bluetooth stereo ones. Speaker volume and clarity is weaker than the original Bold.

Which leaves me with the OS ( I have the 5.0.0.321).

Great OS - no glitches, no sudden freezes (not yet anyway) and the only reboots I've done are the ones suggested by the BB after deleting a program (except for another which I´ll explain just now ).
    At the beginning, the reboot took 2 min. 10 secs ( I timed it) which was outstanding as far as BB´s are concerned. Now with only 40Mb of space left on the memory, I´ve timed at 4 min 20. sec. Normal, I would say !

And the battery ? Wow, it goes on forever !! Must be OS influenced !

Regarding this point, I tried to charge the BB with the Jabra Charger (same specs), and I really got a fright - the Phone went off completely - DEAD !! That was the ONLY time I did a battery pull, worried that I might have fried the phone. Thankfully it didn´t fry ( I was out of the woods) and since then I´ve charged the phone with the regular OEM and via USB on the PC - no risks here please, no hurting my baby, no-no-no !!! Pheeww...!

Conclusion: I repeat myself - it´s a great BB !

If you can get it, by changing plan with service provider, by buying it or whatever, don´t think twice.

The 9700 ROCKS !

KING OF THE HILL !!
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-21-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Spelling and some changes !

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Delfim, we (AT&T users) are down to the wire with the launch tomorrow. I had pretty much talked myself out of this new bold, but you (along with a few others - blackninja) I think I may go for it

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...don´t look back ! It´s really good !

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Blog Entries
    coming from the previous bold, have you had any issues with the size being smaller? blackninja told me that although the size is small, it "feels" sturdy, even a little heavier and thicker than the 8900.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    blackninja is right ! I tried to convey that. It´s very, very sturdy, feels good in the hand, can´t explain it really.
    It feels heavier, but I don´t think so - it´s just the way it fills your hand... it´s very comfortable, and the screen is NOT an issue !

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with all the point given here, Cherri, I've a carppal tunnel problem and that was a big reason to get the original bold at first, I've to say that this one (9700) make it just right for my hand and it feels just perfect, you'll like it once you get it.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Blog Entries
    I also have Carpal Tunnel, along with large hands, and sometimes my Pearl 8120 kills me even typing a short text message (the 8100 didn't cause me any pain). But, as I said in another thread I started, it's been at least 4 years since I had a full QWERTY keypad (my last one was a 7730). I just wonder if I will be able to use the 9100 (when it materializes) or 9700 keyboard easier.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Delfim hit the nail on the head... but I am going to add a few comments to this homepage thread.

I am actually on my 3rd ATT 9700 already. In fact, by the end of day two, I was already on my third. 9700 #1 had java white screen errors and a creaky keyboard out of the box. I went to my local ATT store on day 2 and they swapped it from their newly arrived stock (stock they weren't even selling out of yet). Within an hour of using the #2 9700, the optical pad died. It still worked as a button, but the directionality function ceased entirely. I returned to the ATT store and picked up #3, which I still have and find to be a pretty good build. I really like this device, a lot!

This is a pretty sturdy phone. I would say the sturdiness is about equal to the first gen Bold, but not better. While the battery door fitment of the old Bold offered much to be desired in terms of build quality and fit and finish, this battery cover is worlds better (this is also better battery door fitment than 8900, Storm, Storm 2, Curve, and 8700, etc...). What does seem to have taken a step back is the silver colored plastic that frames the device, particularly that immediately adjacent to the screen. There doesn't seem to be an attachment at that level of the frame, and that leaves for a gap and compressibility of the frame at that point. I'd imagine that some devices will have slight outward bowing of the silver frame at that level too. You can actually very easily insert a fingernail between the silver frame and screen and exaggerate the gap. I've found that while holding the device to type, I don't notice this problem, but when I use the volume or left-side convenience key, I can feel the frame sliding and pressing against the phone. That is a cheap feeling to me and one of the only flaws I can find on this phone. Curves, 8900, 8700, Storm and first gen Bold seemed to have that frame more securely attached screen frames providing a more solid feel.

I will add that the keyboard on the 9700 takes more effort to press than the 83/8900, 9000, 8100 keyboards require. While Bold #1 keyboard carried similar effort to type as 83/8900, I believe the 9700 actually requires a heavier finger. Coming from first gen Bold, I have no problems in using the keyboard on this device. My hands aren't behemoth, but I'm that guy who everyone compares hand sizes with and says, "you must wear big shoes..."

This new Bold seems more dense than the old, but that can be attributed to the same battery as the old Bold. This is a smaller overall package, but it weighs nearly the same as the old Bold, when compared to a Curve, or 8900. I prefer the dense feel though, so this is a plus for me. I'm less clumsy with a more dense object for some reason, and the faux leather assists with avoiding the clumsiness as well.

To be honest, having to dig so deeply in looking for an area to improve versus intended outcome, they did a fantastic job with this phone. Many reviews of this phone state the obvious, but don't argue about problems versus intended outcome. RIM planned on having a smaller screen and keyboard on this device. The folks who continually comment about that being different than the first gen Bold aren't uncovering earth shattering information; this is how it was designed. Changing the form factor while keeping a name isn't a new business model either. Honda did it paradoxically with their current generation Accord; its sufficiently larger than the predecessor enough so to be classified as a full size sedan whereas the previous model was a mid-size car.

Forget what this phone is called... look at it for what it is and what it does. Don't go in hoping for a better iteration of Bold #1. If you want a Bold #1, go buy a Bold #1. This is a decent sized, sleek, quick, long battery life, with a good camera Blackberry device. It is neither better nor worse than the Bold #1... its a great 9700.
    Last edited by jzarowitz; 11-21-2009 at 04:04 PM.

TimmyT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A23F41
    Already have my AT&T Bold 2, and as the first thread says, I love it. Best new bberry.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    jzarowitz, I agree. Especially your last paragraph that "identitifies" the 9700 as a new BB phone, a great phone.
    RIM shouldn´t have called it Bold, like I said in the prevoius thread. They didn´t need to "tag" it with the name !
    But, I think, since the BOLD WAS such a success for RIM, the marketing gurus hung onto the name...!
    The 9700 SHOULD STAND ON IT´S OWN !

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...again, jarowitz, I just thought it might be pertinent to ask:
    My 9700 was built by the Huns (tough tribe these Hungarians) !
    Where was your 9700 built ? It might have something to do with the problems you reported, I dunno...?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...again, jarowitz, I just thought it might be pertinent to ask:
    My 9700 was built by the Huns (tough tribe these Hungarians) !
    Where was your 9700 built ? It might have something to do with the problems you reported, I dunno...?
    I checked build location on successive attainments, and all of mine were built in Mexico4, including the first one that was overnighted from a warehouse in Texas. The second and third were from an ATT store in the Cleveland area.

PIN/ID
    Nope!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    I checked build location on successive attainments, and all of mine were built in Mexico4, including the first one that was overnighted from a warehouse in Texas. The second and third were from an ATT store in the Cleveland area.
    THAT, my friend might be where the difference lies, since all the complaints you´ve had, I, fortunately haven´t had any...

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyT View Post
    Already have my AT&T Bold 2, and as the first thread says, I love it. Best new bberry.
    TimmyT,
    Congratulations buddy ! May the 9700 bring you joy !

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have a very good friend that is not a hardcore enthusiast like we are, so he's a good "sounding board" for opinions. He has both a BB 8310 issued by work, and an iPhone for personal use.

He was recently "upgraded at work to a 9700 Bold" and hates the cramped keyboard. Now this is someone with hands that are on the small side as he's just 5'3" tall and very slightly built. So if he is complaining (a guy that rarely complains about anything) that speaks volumes. Since he's used BB's for work for over five years I trust his input.

Sizes are the same between these two with the only exception being the 9700 at 1/2mm thicker than the 8900.
    109 x 60 x 14.0 mm weight 122g for the 9700
    109 x 60 x 13.5 mm weight 110g for the 8900

The Real Bold 9000 has a much larger more useful display and faster more comfortable keyboard.

Too bad RIM said we were getting a new Bold.

I see this new 9700 as the perfect new Curve.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast