Alright Stackers, I promised you a review of the Tilt 2, and so you shall ... Smartphone Reviews forum

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200

BHD's Tilt 2 Review

Advertisement

Alright Stackers,

I promised you a review of the Tilt 2, and so you shall have it...... here we go:

First off, a brief history of my cell phone usage..... I have owned every model of Blackberry available to ATT customers, and even added an unlocked Storm to the collection. I have used a Palm Treo 680, Blackjack 2, Iphone 2G, Iphone 3G, and Iphone 3GS. These are only the smartphones I have owned. I tell you all this because I will making comparisons to all of them in this review, but for your benefit I will focus mostly on the comparison to the BB.

Hardware: The Tilt 2 is a heavy phone. You know when you have this phone in your hand and in your pocket. It is thicker then most of the phones listed above, save for the Treo 680. Comprable in weight to the Treo. Volume rocker and soft keys work very well, click very easily so you know when you have pressed them. Of course it has the slide out keyboard and the tilting screen. I have to admit that I have rarely used the tilting screen feature as it feels a little harder to hold the phone to type with it up. I guess it would be good for videos and things, but I have experienced a slight problem with that that I will get into later. The spring action works fairly well, however I always worry about the stability of a phone that has so many mechanical parts. Holding up fine for now though. The phone does not have a 3.5 mm headphone jack. ATT instead sends you an adapter (which is a little in the way most of the time).

Software: Touch Flow 3D is pretty awesome. It is basically a skin (eye candy) over the Windows Mobile platform. It is amazing and complex at the same time. Just know that if you plan to try this phone, you have to plan to use it a week before you make your judgement. It is complex and confusing. It is highly customizable - if you have the knowledge and surf the forums to find tricks. Graphics on this thing are amazing. It is a little laggy sometimes as are most widows mobile phones. I love having the touch screen ability mixed with the option to use a full physical keyboard. Kind of reminds me of the Palm Treo 680 in this aspect as when you are typing you can also reach up and tap the screen to navigate through things. The note pad with the ability to actually write on the screen is also cool. Some negatives so far, the included youtube app does not work. You still have to go to m.youtube.com to watch youtube videos. The marketplace is great, just limited at the moment. I look for it to grow swiftly though. Email is decent. Although if you are not running exchange you have to set it to check for mail every so often. It syncs up with exchange easy enough and seems to run fairly well on it. Exchange is Direct Push. Speaker phone on this thing is awesome. I have not found a phone to match the speaker phone ability. It is designed to be used with conference calls so was built to lay face down on a surface. The back cover has a large speaker ring going around it, as well as another microphone hole for speakerphone mode. There is an easy access mute switch on the back as well. Great sound quality on both speaker and handset calls, from both ends. Great call quality.

Battery: Battery life is pretty horendous. Comparable to the iphone for sure. You are going to want to own a car charger if you plan on owning this phone. This type of battery life is to be expected with any touchscreen phone.

Overall Conclusion: Though I am not sure this phone is as good as a blackberry, it is a very very powerful phone. This phone will handle all your bsiness needs, texting, email, word, powerpoint, excel, wifi, gps, conference calls, you name it. It is just more complex then BB. It is also very hard to type one handed. This is a two handed phone, although it does have and onscreen touch keyboard for use when not engaging the slide out keybaord. I plan to keep using this phone for a while, discover other neat tricks about it (plus I am tired of switching my data plan and paying proration.......... BB's are easier and faster to use, but not as flashy. So if you are tired of the same old BB OS and platform, this might be a fun alternative. Otherwise, stick with the BB.....

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi BHD thanks for this great review - anybody that reads this will be well informed to be able to take a decision...
    Job well done !

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yup That helped me in my search for my next phone. The only thing I don't like about T-Mobile's version (and this is purely aesthetic) is that it's mocha colored instead of all black.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Great, thanks for the review!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    No problem guys!! If anyone has specific questions about this device, just ask I will do my best to answer them.
    Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1)

Johnnycwebb no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20df0454
    Great review I would have to say that price makes a diffference also. The tilt 2 @ $349.99 w/$50.00 rebate is not that bad at AT&T. Blackberry has a $100.00 rebate. Like you said BB device is more user friendley. I also tested the tilt 2 and it's a great phone but BB has a higer rating
    Johnny Webb

That is the other thing that bugs me about the Tilt 2/Touch Pro 2...$350 WITH a MIR??? One of the reasons I MAY not get the thing.

dale632 no está en línea Stack level 1
    One other thing, for people that can't have a camera at work, you can order this phone without one. I've had mine for about a month now and enjoy it.

thebassist10 no está en línea Stack level 1

Post I disagree on one issue

I would completely disagree with what you say about the battery life on this phone. I have used the Bold 9000, HTC Tilt and HTC Fuze and by far my Tilt 2 has the best battery life. It lasts over two days with limited use and a full day when I'm making long phone calls and surfing the web on the phone.

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Quote Originally Posted by thebassist10 View Post
    I would completely disagree with what you say about the battery life on this phone. I have used the Bold 9000, HTC Tilt and HTC Fuze and by far my Tilt 2 has the best battery life. It lasts over two days with limited use and a full day when I'm making long phone calls and surfing the web on the phone.
    Maybe you just have a better model then I, mine will last a half day with heavy use or a full day with moderate use. The more I use this phone the more I like it though. I use mine for lots of texting, I have 4 email accounts on mine including and exchange account (this might be the discrepancy in the battery life as exchange is Direct pushing all day long, this may play a large roll in battery drain). Mine is also updated with the european software allowing the weather to be displayed on the homescreen. Different scenarios will cause battery drain. Unfortunatly I can't live without exchange and I love the weather app on the homescreen as well(it was snowing out this morning so I had snow flurries going across my entire homescreen and the four corners of the phone iced over, very good graphics!).

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Ah, I forgot to mention that the Tilt 2 has a flashing green LED indicator when you get a new message, that is a nice feature to see them add.

I picked up my TP2 yesterday and have not been able to put the thing down. I have checked out and tweaked every feature to my liking. No lag whatsoever. I added BeeJive, Pocket Tunes, Handango InHand and Handmark's app. All apps run properly.

My only 3 gripes: 1) I cant figure out how to turn off the prompt that tells you a text has been sent. 2) Auto capitalization, and punctuation when typing contractions, don't always work. 3) The touch screen doesn't always register my key presses.

Other than that, I have found my phone for the next 2 years. Touch FLO3D and the device color have grown on me in the 11 hours I have owned the phone. I thought I would be disabling TF3D but I haven't yet.

I will be posting my own review a week from yesterday's date (March 6, 2010) which will be March 13, after I have had time to use the phone away from a PC and test the battery life which is my only concern. I think I can get over my gripes about auto text and the message notification for texting.
    Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) T-Mobile_Rhodium
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 03-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.