Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Pros: Sideways Sliding Keyboard, Amount of Free Apps, Android OS Cons: Random Reboots (but not ... Smartphone Reviews forum

EricasMyTouch no está en línea Stack level 1

72 Hours With the LG myTouchQ Violet

Advertisement

Pros: Sideways Sliding Keyboard, Amount of Free Apps, Android OS
    Cons: Random Reboots (but not bad enough to return it), Battery Life
    Price:
    $350 (but I paid $100 down and the rest will be paid out over time)
    URL: http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LGC800VL-mytouch-q
    Overall Rating: 5/5

I had 2 good years with my last purchase, the T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9780. But, after I received a text from T-Mobile informing me I could upgrade after only 16 months, I jumped at the bit. After nearly a half hour in T-Mobile, I rolled out with my brand new LG myTouch and have not put the phone down much at all (except to sleep and move around).

Hardware:

Sliding Keyboard....one of the best I have used (I have owned Sidekicks and a Touch Pro 2 previously so I have plenty of experience with this form factor). The keys are flat but my fingers glide across them comfortably. The keys are round (for the letter/number keys, as well as some of the text editing and options keys); and the Menu, Text, Delete, Space, Shift, Space, and Enter keys are a rounded rectangular shape. All are very easy to use. This easily earns 5/5 stars.

The screen is one of the brightest I have used. The colors of the interface, menus, icons and widgets are brighter than any other device I have had prior (except maybe my iOS devices). Again, this earns 5/5 stars.

Camera: Haven't used yet. I will come back with an update once I use it.

Speakers: I used Pandora and iHeartRadio and the speakers are very clear. No problems there. 5/5 stars.

Capacitive Buttons: These work but sometimes require 2 or 3 presses to register. I have a screen protector on it so I wonder if that could be part of the issue. 4/5 stars.

Media Card...Accessible without removing the battery. 5/5 stars

Software/OS:

Android OS: 2.3.4...I'm waiting for my first update to the OS which should come this summer. So far the OS has been running smoothly but it can lag in some apps. I love the pull down notification shade that lets me see my notifications.

I had a bad day with it yesterday randomly rebooting often so I decided to delete some apps and so far it has only restarted once. 4/5 for performance. Maybe the OS update will correct this issue, but it's not bad enough to return it for a replacement.

Apps/Google Play (Android Market): I have access to more apps than I know what to do. I installed nearly 20 apps the first 2 days I had the phone which may have led to yesterday's crashes. I uninstalled half of those apps, and my phone works much better. In fact, it has only rebooted one time today (about a half hour ago). 5/5 stars for the amount of FREE apps that keep me busy LOL

Battery Life: This, so far, has been good but it is still in the training process. I don't want to let it die but at the same time, I want to condition it so it will last longer with fewer charges (so far I am charging twice a day to get thru a day). I think it may have had something to do with either the weather or my location today, or yesterday's performance issues, but it's getting better. I wish I could find an extended life battery for it. 4/5 stars.

Signal/Reception: My first 4G smartphone. It constantly holds a 4G connection. No dropped or missed calls so far due to signal, and calls are very clear via the earpiece. Web connects without a hiccup. Emails, messages, etc are sent almost instantly. 5/5 stars for voice/data performance.

Overall Impression: I am happy that I waited this long to try Android (to let all the kinks of previous versions to be ironed out). This phone is touted as a perfect smartphone for a first time user, but I found the transition from the BB/RIM OS to Android a smooth exchange and experience. I most likely will be staying on Android from here on out unless another OS grabs my attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricaJ1073, Mark Stone and lak611 like this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks for sharing Erica.
    Good luck with the phone. I hope you'll carry on enjoying Android.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nice. Thanks for the review. Too often I read only superphone stuff. Nice to be reminded that there are other devices that are super.
    RogerG likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice job, Erica! Did you ever get my e-mail for resetting your password for your other account?

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Great review. So what do you think of optimus UI ?

@Roger...No I did not get the email for my other account. My AOL email does not work anymore.

@KTW...Optimus UI?

@Delfim...I will remain on Android LOL

Do you want me to change the e-mail address on the account? If so, please PM with the requested e-mail and I will resend.

PM sent. Thanks.

Responded, Erica.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Nice review!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Nice review, Erica.

Keep enjoying your new device.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Leaving this thread where it is.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-17-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Leaving Thread Open

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No need to repost Erica. Unless you want to.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Ok. I had reposted but would like for that thread to be locked. I will leave this one alone then.

Hi Erica! Very well written review. To the point, useful, written professionally, and very informative. Great job - - Promoted to Article! Check the front page . . . .
    lak611 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast