I want to buy a new 8700 but the best price i can get it ... PinStack Marketplace forum

r3nb72 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

How much does a new 8700 cost?

Advertisement

I want to buy a new 8700 but the best price i can get it for in SA is R4300.00. Thats about $615.00!
    Its got to be unlocked so i can use it with my network.
    Whats the going rate for the 8700 in the USA?
    Thanx,
    Ren

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: How much does a new 8700 cost?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Wow! You can get an 8700g for between $250.00 and $400.00. As far as unlocking, I believe you can find places on google to do that. But I also believe there is a charge for this. Im not really sure on this. Im sure more stackers will chime in on this with better information.

And welcome to Pinstack.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Here is a thread that may give you a better idea what we are paying in the states.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=1716

PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

Thanx John! Its not available with the network packages here so thats probably why they charge that much. I'l do some research. And thanx for the welcome - lol! ;-)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Hahahaha! I didn't realize I welcomed you. Mornings are hectic for me. Lol!

PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

I know i know. No coffee... Lol!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well, when searching for an unlocked unit you will see higher prices. Sometimes unlocked units go for $100+ the average retail price of a Blackberry that isn't unlocked. By retail I don't mean the discount prices you can get for signing a contract with a carrier, I mean the actual MSRP. As far as unlocked 8700's, my guess would be that they are pretty high because they are the newest on the market and if people haven't switched to a different phone with the same wireless provider, they are probably going to try and recoup some (if not all) of the cancellation penalty they are going to have to pay.

The only other thing I could possibly recommend would try and get in contact with an independent sales rep (there are a few on this site) and try and purchase the unit outright from them and have them unlock it when you do so, but with taxes and the outright purchase price, you will probably be looking close to the same price you are if you just buy an already unlocked unit.

PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

Thanx N8! I see what ur saying. Its gonna be expensive. The other option im looking at is finding out if Vodafone handsets from that side will work with the Vodafone network here. Then it doesnt hv to be unlocked I hope!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well, when searching for an unlocked unit you will see higher prices. Sometimes unlocked units go for $100+ the average retail price of a Blackberry that isn't unlocked. By retail I don't mean the discount prices you can get for signing a contract with a carrier, I mean the actual MSRP. As far as unlocked 8700's, my guess would be that they are pretty high because they are the newest on the market and if people haven't switched to a different phone with the same wireless provider, they are probably going to try and recoup some (if not all) of the cancellation penalty they are going to have to pay.
    This is correct. On eaccess.com, under Buy Devices, an unlocked (no activation) 8700C is going to cost you $549 USD, or $679 USD (SIM unlocked, no activation) A Cingular-locked unit is going to cost you $349 USD.