Last week made my second appearance at International CTIA Wireless, held in Las Vegas. Although ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News & Rumors; CTIA 09 Highlights

Last week made my second appearance at International CTIA Wireless, held in Las Vegas. Although I haven't personally compared numbers, talk of fewer registrants compared to previous years was going around as well as fewer exhibit participants. This year, my excitement was geared towards Mobile Video Streaming/Live TV. With numerous apps to do the job (some consumer, some carrier based), it will be the next big thing. We will no longer be tied down to our television addictions, as we will be able to watch from anywhere, anytime... our favorite TV/Cable channels will be at the touch of a finger (or thumb ). Social networking is still on the climb as well as a few discounted international calling apps like Skype and Truphone making things very tense for the carriers. With the economic hardships of late, its truly inspirational to see new fresh ideas coming from the minds of some of these great developers. Keep the bar high and you will continue to see success

BlackBerry News & Rumors
    9 Page BlackBerry Storm 9500 Review From Ever Popular
    Download BlackBerry App World " Live and in Living Color!!"

Iphone News & Rumors
    Apple joins AT&T with no-contract iPhones
    Report: iPhone and Android taking everyone else’s market share

Windows Mobile News & Rumors

Android News & Rumors
    Android Getting Flash Support
    Report: iPhone and Android taking everyone else’s market share

Other Smartphone News & Rumors
    Rumor: Palm Pre Beta Tester Gives April 30th as Planned Release Date
    AT&T Plans Smartphone Assault

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

BioAuthorize Launches Its New Translation Application for the iPhone
    BioAuthorize Holdings, Inc., of Scottsdale, through its wholly owned subsidiary BioAuthorize, Inc., recently enrolled in the Apple Inc. iPhone Developer Program and has launched its first application for the Apple App Store under the Utilities category.
    Known as yadaSay, the company's application for the iPhone and iTouch is a simple, speedy and effective way to translate free-form phrases between English and Spanish languages and to learn the pronunciation of those phrases as well. yadaSay provides both text and audio translations for the user with the ability to save and email the translations and converse in different languages with persons nearby and far away.

Shazam Available for BlackBerry
    Shazam is now available for BlackBerry, you can get it in the new App World or see more on RIM's site here. Thanks to PinStacker Ge who asked about it in this post that let me know it was out and to amsirron23 who posted it here. In the App World it is shown as free, but upon download it is actually free for 2 months then $4.99 or free with limited features(limits not specified). I think it would be better if it was clear from the start that it was a free trial and if they made the purchase price easily known as well. Reviews on App World say it's not working so well on the Storm but it works great on my 8330 Curve and you Storm users have time to test it before you buy it.

Skype announces service for iPhone, BlackBerry
    Skype, the Internet telephone unit of eBay Inc, is planning to launch its service for iPhone users on Tuesday and for BlackBerry in May as part of its effort to expand beyond desktop computers. Skype's iPhone application will be free to download and will allow free calls between Skype users. As with Skype on the desktop, fees will be charged for calls to traditional phones. Also see CTIA Highlights below for more Skype information.

Pocket Informant for iPhone brings GTD and Calendar together on iPhone
    Mobile PDA and Smartphone market leader, WebIS Inc., has announced that it has released its incredibly popular PIM, Pocket Informant, for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Pocket Informant is the premiere Personal Information Manager for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices. This new release will leverage eight years of mobile experience to bring a fresh perspective to the iPhone user. Version 1.0 offers Agenda, Week, Month, and Day views for the calendar, a Today view, a Tasks view with full GTD capability, Context, Projects, Next Action, Inbox, Search, as well as syncing with Google Calendar and ToodleDo.

MLB releases iPhone app with game audio
    Major League Baseball Advanced Media announced Sunday that it has released At Bat 2009, this year's edition of its iPhone utility that allows baseball fans to stay up-to-date with the latest scores and highlights. The app is available now on the App Store.

BlackBerry eReader Released, Android Next
    Bookseller Barnes and Noble purchased Fictionwise earlier this month. BlackBerry fans rejoice: the beta test release of eReader for BlackBerry has just been released and Android and Linux versions are soon to follow, according to Fictionwise, the company that makes the software.

BarTor 1.0. First Android Torrent Application Hits The Market
    The first official release of BarTor(formerly ScanTorrent) is headed to Market.
    Some of the new features include: uTorrent & Vuse support, Load By URL, Load By File, KTorrent - PHP and HTML Interfaces, Sort By Publish Date or By Seeds and Leechers (Default), Purchase opportunities upon Barcode Lookup - Long Click result to open Browser, Failed Submissions to the Client are retried automatically at application open and exit, Choose maximum number of Torrent Search results (25 [Default], 50, 100, 250)

PinStacker Reviews
    REVIEW: BerryWeather/BeWeather
    REVIEW: This app was just Beta tested here on PinStack and because of the hard work of stackers and developers I believe this is one of the best weather apps I have ever used. You are able to do things such as store 10 different locations at once and go through them using your trackball to scroll to each one. It has current conditions as well as 7 day forecast and many other options. You can also set severe alerts for your home location only or receive them for all locations. I myself think it is awesome and as a hardcore user of weatherbugdirect I can say I will be switching for good to this app.

REVIEW: Piel Frama Leather Flip Case for BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Verdict: Elegant and beautifully designed
    Pros: Superb build quality, does not add to device dimensions much
    Cons: Front flap will hang when on a call
    Price: 70 Euros
    Overall rating: 4/5
    Piel Frama is well known for producing quality smartphone accessories in the higher end of the market, and at 70 Euros this particular case is not cheap. The question is if it lives up to the price tag? It may appear to be expensive at first glance, but with the smartphone it is protecting retailing at close to Ł400 it seems like a reasonable price to pay to protect it.

Review:MeterBerry - Battery and memory manager
    this is a great program for the memory OCD folks like me out there. this program is highly can select your homescreen icon to reflect battery level,battery temp,free app memory,change in free app memory since reboot or can also choose rotating icons to change at your predetermined intervals. you can choose at what point you want to get an alert and at what intervals you want the program to log your memory and battery usage. this is a great tool when you're trying out new apps and are trying to gauge how they affect memory and battery. another great feature is to set the program to alert you when your batt/memory drops to a certain level. if your memory drops to your predetermined level you will get an alert then an option to reboot. if your battery drops to your predetermined level you will get an alert and be able to plug in or change batteries before your berry dies. i like being able to see my available memory at a glance on my home screen.i found this to be a very nice app and a steal at $2.95. i would be willing to pay at least double that price for this app. this is a storm only app.
    Verdict: must have for storm owners
    Pros: very customizable and very useful
    Cons: for storm users only
    URL: get it here
    Price: $2.95
    Overall rating: 5/5

Review: MobiMouse for BlackBerry
    I have been playing around with a cool new app for BlackBerry from Virtual Views called MobiMouse. It basically allows you to use your BlackBerry as a mouse for your PC. At first I thought wow, this is cool, kind of a novelty but not really practical. But the longer I play with it, the more I am actually using it.
    Verdict: Very cool app, many uses and new features make it even better.
    Pros: 3 ways to connect, support for Vista 64, use keys on your BlackBerry to open programs or use Windows shortcuts
    Cons: A bit tricky to set up for me, but I had never used BT with a computer before, so that was probably more my issue than the program's
    Price: Regularly $9.99 but on sale until 04-10-09 for $6.99, save 30%
    Overall Rating: Love it! There's a 7 day trial, try it out!

International CTIA 2009 Highlights
    CTIA 09: GoTV Networks Launches LiveFromYou Personal Media Application
    CTIA 09: Truphone Delivers “Unlimited” Savings
    CTIA 09: iST to present at AT&T Fast-Pitch Consumer Application Contest
    CTIA 09: Samsung Mobile & EPA Join Together at CTIA to Encourage Recycling
    CTIA 09: Motorola Evoke Puts You One Touch Away from Your Social Circle
    CTIA 09: Skype Coming to iPhone Tuesday and BlackBerry in May
    CTIA 09: Truphone Launches US Channel Program
    CTIA 09: Samsung Instinct s30, Exclusively From Sprint
    CTIA 09: Seidio, Inc. announces the next generation of Innocases
    CTIA 09: Skype for iPhone vs. Skype on Blackberry
    CTIA 09: Skuku Launches App for its Revolutionary Roaming Mobile Solutions
    CTIA 09: Yahoo Takes Mobile, Messenger to iPhone
    CTIA 09: QuickOffice launches on iPhone
    CTIA 09: Dilithium Demos Live TV on iPhone and BlackBerry
    CTIA 09: Movius Highlights Visual Voicemail Solutions
    CTIA 09: Movius Demos New Voice SMS Solutions
    CTIA 09: Smith Micro Introduces New Way to Find, Manage & Share Multimedia
    CTIA 09: Smith Micro Demos Preview of QuickLink Messenger
    CTIA 09: Skype for iPhone
    CTIA 09: Spb TV 1.0 - Mobile TV, the Way It Should Be
    CTIA 09: Emoze Beats the Recession
    CTIA 09: T-Mobile is the 1st carrier to roll out LiveMedia Visual Voicemail
    CTIA 09: Keynote Remarks from Al Gore

Reply To Enter: BerryWeather - New BlackBerry App Giveaway, 25 Free Copies!
    Special thanks to the professionals and enthusiasts of PinStack, BerryWeather is now out of Beta, Bellshare, (the developer of popular Instango and PinStack Apps) is releasing a new application called BerryWeather.

BerryWeather is a visually stunning weather application for your BlackBerry smartphone. Get instant access to current conditions plus detailed 7-day and 24-hour forecasts for over 72.000 locations worldwide. Get weather advisories and alerts for any location within the U.S. Keep up to 10 locations at the same time and switch between them with a flick of the trackball.

Bellshare would like to give away...
    25 free copies to PinStack users! Contest closes in 48 hours!

To enter the contest for your chance to win a free copy of BerryWeather, simply reply in above thread!

Keep your eyes out for a special PScast on all my CTIA coverage

Have a GREAT week everyone!

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    Awesome WIR Cherri!

Carpe Diem!!

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nice Cherri hope you had a good time in Vegas

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

InfinityPlayer no está en línea Stack level 3

Cherri, baby

Yet again, we see another most excellent and rad posting by you. You must have taken extensive notes at the CTIA International!!! Incredible postings

And that is just a week's worth of reviewing! Truly amazing
    Define irony: A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song that was sung by a band that got killed on a plane. - By a man who is in a movie about those very idiots dancing on the plane he was on.