The Wall Street Journal caused quite an uproar this week when they announced they would ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for September 18, 2009

Advertisement

The Wall Street Journal caused quite an uproar this week when they announced they would start charging for their mobile access to their exclusive content. While the subscription cost is nominal (in my book) at $1-2 a week, one thing we are used to is getting our news for free. Of course, if you have a Journal subscription, then I guess its principle. You will either have to pay for online/PC access in addition to your mobile device, or choose one or the other. With the failing revenue at print newspapers this year already, I can understand why the WSJ would make such a bold move -- they have to make up for lost revenue some where.

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 Caught on Camera
    Wall Street Journal to Charge Mobile Readers
    Rogers begins shipping Curve 8520 literature;
    50 Percent Return Rate for the BB Tour

iPhone Rumors & News
    AT&T activating MMS features early for some iPhone users

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Palm Pre Goes On Pre-Order For £399 SIM Free
    Palm Pixi Specs

Windows Mobile Rumors & News
    HTC Leo Windows Mobile Smartphone in the wild
    Samsung Omnia Pro B7330

Nokia Rumors & News
    Nokia Purchases Assets From Plum

Android Rumors & News
    Motorola CLIQ's November launch revealed in T-Mobile roadmap leak?
    LG Unveils Its First Android Smartphone
    Android 1.6 SDK released, coming to devices as early as October
    Learn More about the Motorola Cliq and MOTOBLUR

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    Ready For The Federal Government's App Store?

Carrier Related:
    AT&T Brand Perception On The Decline
    Sprint and T-Mobile sitting in a Merger Tree
    Motorla Cliq Not A T-Mobile Exclusive?
    AT&T Named "Greenest" U.S. Carrier

---------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

White Housing for the BlackBerry Bold
    Got the urge for a new toy? Can't afford the HUGE price tags on the new devices? Why not just change the housing? It's like having a brand new toy! The link to this site was sent to me awhile back and I filed it away for a rainy day. I love the black bezel/ball combo I have on my bold already, but as some of you may already know, I'm obsessed with white electronic devices. This will be my second white BlackBerry and I must say, so far I am loving it!

Beejive for Blackberry
    What's new:
    - file transfers via link, you can now transfer files to buddies on all IM accounts.
    - push when app running in background (see preferences in app).
    - send voice notes
    - send GPS location (if supported by phone)
    - new chat styles & background images
    - new buddy list layouts
    - improved battery life
    - overall UI redesign
    - various other bug fixes & enhancements

U2 Mobile Album For BackBerry Released

"Follow the band on their 360° tour using the U2 Mobile Album. Connect to the band you love using the U2 Mobile Album. It’s all about U2. And it’s all on your BlackBerry smartphone.
    Get inside the album with access to songs from No Line On The Horizon with images, lyrics, interviews and videos
    View the original, origami-style photo displays inspired by the music
    Access dynamic news feeds from U2.com and receive alerts when new content is available
    View exclusive images of the band in the recording studio and on the road
    Mark your place in the crowd with geocoding, chat and share images with other fans,
    and view postings from the band (coming soon!)
    Tap into the Who’s Listening section and see when and where other users are listening to the album (coming soon!)
    Track the tour as the band moves across the globe – see where they’re going and where they’ve been (coming soon!)"

Opera Mini Beta 5 Released
    Opera has released a new beta for Opera Mini users, beta 5. This is a really different version of Opera Mini with some nice new features like speed dial bookmarks, tabbed browsing, password manager, and a complete UI overhaul. Head over to Opera's site for full details or to just get right down to browsing point your BB browser to http://m.opera.com/next
    Popular Features Include: Innovative and Easy-to-use, Full Web in your palm, Tabbed Browsing, Built for speed, Find things faster, Touch and Keypad, Password Manager, Speed Dial, Power Scrolling

Phone Calling Coming to Twitter
    Twitter users on Thursday will, for the first time, be able to make voice calls directly to each other through the microblogging service. A new third-party offering from Jajah known as Jajah@call is expected to go into beta Thursday morning that will allow Twitter users to initiate a voice chat with other users by typing "@call @username"--where "username" is someone's Twitter ID--into any Twitter client. During the beta period, the company said, the calls will be limited to two minutes, but the company will evaluate that length during beta. However, it sees the two minute period--after which the call will end--as "the verbal equivalent of a tweet."

New Barely There Colors from Case-Mate
    The Barely There is Case-mate's new line of sporty cases. These cases protect the design of the smarwhile allowing more of it to show.
    - Extremely slim profile
    - Impact resistant flexible plastic shell
    - Full-Face Screen protection included
    - Not compatible with Clear Armor
    - Barely There cases are $19.99 (plus shipping) and available for BlackBerry, iPhone (2G and 3G) and HTC Snap. Case-mate.com is currently running a free shipping special on orders over $24.95

Edocrab (beta) -- Scan UPC Barcodes with Your BlackBerry
    Yesterday I saw a post from Stacker JoshSeawell about an application for scanning UPC barcodes with your BlackBerry camera and using the internet connection to check price comparisons. If you listen to the PScast, you would have heard Gary and I discussing a similar app for the Android devices awhile back and I was kinda jealous. iPhone users have had an app like this for quite some time too. So, of course I downloaded it to try it out for a test drive. While the price comparisons work for all models (using typing input), only the Tour, 8900/Curve and Storm support the camera scanning of the barcode, as this application requires the use of auto focus to get the best image possible.

IDrive Updates IDrive Lite, the Online Backup App for iPhone and Blackberry
    Pro Softnet Corporation, a leader in the Storage-as-a-Service, Online Backup and Storage market, today announced updates to its IDrive Lite application for iPhone and Blackberry. IDrive Lite allows users to backup their contacts on their mobile devices to their accounts into the cloud and also enables restores from anywhere in the event of a loss. In addition, it also grants access via any browser to manage their contacts. Options also include importing from popular social networking sites such as Facebook.

Comcast plans to bring TV shows to your phone
    Yesterday, cable behemoth, Comcast, announced plans to make its emerging On Demand Online service available to cable subscribers on their mobile devices in the near future. At first glance, this news seems a bit odd. However, Comcast has recently begun to offer consumers wireless Internet access in select areas across the country as a result of its partnership with WiMAX provider, Clearwire. Thus, porting On Demand Online to the mobilesphere actually makes a lot of sense for the cable giant.

Kinoma Play Now Available for Nokia S60
    Kinoma announced that its flagship product, Kinoma Play, is now available for Nokia S60, the world’s dominant smartphone platform. Nokia S60 users can now enjoy the best way to find, play and share media in a beautiful, fast, easy-to-use application. Kinoma Play lets users find media fast by browsing the extensive built-in Kinoma Guide app or searching leading media sites including YouTube, Flickr and SHOUTcast. It allows them to play media in all popular formats including Windows Media, MPEG-4/H.264 and iTunes AAC. Finally, Kinoma Play users can easily share what they’re enjoying using Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm and more.

iPhone Tripod and App (video included)
    From the same folks who brought you the iTwinge QWERTY keyboard iPhone adapter comes an iPhone-specific three-legged stabilizer + app, the Blur Tripod. This is a total blur-removing minimizing system, complete with tripod, iPhone tripod adapter, and Blur Tripod software. Video after the jump.
    According to the official product page:Eliminate blur from photos and videos on your iPhone with the world’s first iPhone tripod adapter, mini tripod and enhancement App.

BlackBerry Storm Browser Keeps Pace With Peers
    via PCWorld.com: "Touchscreen browser lacks tabbed browsing but compensates with a handy desktop-like cursor mode."
    Research In Motion's BlackBerry Storm features a Java-based full-HTML browser, which RIM claims is in the same class with the browsers on iPhone, Palm Pre, Nokia, and Android devices. In many respects, that assertion is true.

Tether on Linux and Mac with Berry4All

I have recently decided to dual boot Linux (Ubuntu) and am loving it So I quickly began searching around for ways to do on Linux what I use to do on Windows. First things first was tethering which I tend to do fairly often. I tried some different methods until I came across Berry4all which previously was called bbtether. There's an old post for bbtether here. For anyone who needs to tether on Linux I highly recommend using this program which tethers, can charge your BlackBerry (for computers that fail to do so), and even gives you some cool stats on how much data has been uploaded and downloaded (for the nerds). It also includes config files for quite a few carriers (I know for sure T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T) with related info already set such as the apn, initcode, dialing number, etc. The main site for it now is: http://www.berry4all.com

---------------------------------------------------------

Have a GREAT weekend!

Be sure to tune into the PScast, recording early this week, for a special guest appearance

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Hey my post made it on the WIR =) I completely forgot about it lol.

That Bold housing looks nice. I miss the days with the old phones that had the removable casings. All you had to do was look around for a nice cool case, and pop it on the phone. Now the phones are more advanced, but less customizable.

Thanks for the WIR Cherry.