Coming on a little late this evening and I noticed that Facebook for BlackBerry has ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for October 16, 2009

Advertisement

Coming on a little late this evening and I noticed that Facebook for BlackBerry has issued an update (Bold currently rebooting ). With all the news/rumors floating around about new BlackBerry device launches (I'm depressed because I've used all my upgrades this year already), this came at a GREAT time and will suffice to replace my "jones'ing" for a new smartphone. If you have your eye on that new WHITE Bold, AT&T will be launching it this weekend. Holding out for the Bold 9700? No worries, your wait is almost over. Undecided but know for sure that a new smartphone purchase is in your future? Let PinStack help you make that decision. Check the link at the bottom of this thread for Top 20 Smartphones available for Q4 2009.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Smartphone News for the Week

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    T-Mobile Launches White BlackBerry 8520
    Vodafone to Offer New/Improved BlackBerry Storm 2
    Rumor: Verizon to extend their Buy One, Get One Free deal to the BlackBerry
    BlackBerry Capital
    AT&T Launching BlackBerry Bold smartphone in white
    Mossberg and Vodafone spill all the beans on the BlackBerry Storm 2
    Blackberry Storm 2 (Video Review)

iPhone Rumors & News
    Bell to carry Apple's iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS Nov. 4
    Apple Announces In-App Purchases For Free iPhone Applications

Palm OS Rumors & News

Windows Mobile Rumors & News

Nokia Rumors & News
    Nokia posts first loss ($1.36b) in a decade as smartphone competition grows

Android Rumors & News
    Google Fixes Two Android DoS Bugs
    Acer announces A1 Liquid, its first Android-powered smartphone.
    Android 2.0 Screenshots

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    FCC Launches Google Voice Probe
    Mobile phone use approaching saturation in USA
    Michael Dell Confirms U.S. Smartphones
    UK Mobile Broadband Set For Big Increase
    Mobile Digital TV Standard Adopted in the U.S.A.

Carrier Related:
    T-Mobile Admits Sidekick User Data Probably Lost
    Computer giant Dell plans first U.S. smartphone with AT&T
    "Most" SideKick Data Recovered

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

Photoshop For iPhone
    via Mashable: "Adobe’s Photoshop app for the iPhone launched today, and it’s slick. You can edit photos from your phone or stored in your Photoshop.com (Photoshop.com) account using intuitive finger gestures. Editing is reversible and non-destructive, with the output saving to your iPhone Photos collection and optionally to your online account. A simple toolbar-style drop-down menu interface lets you choose from a collection of editing tools and effects including crop, rotate, and flip, exposure, saturation and tint adjustments, and easy to apply filters including black and white, sketch, soft focus, pop, border, vignette blur, warm vintage, rainbow, soft black and white and white glow."

An App That Could Potentially Save Your Life
    I am pretty sure I posted about this a few years ago when I read an article about ICE - In Case of Emergency. I promptly added an ICE contact and have never really thought about it since. I ran across another article today, in which developers have come up with actual apps that will hold all of your emergency information in the event that you are incapacitated and cannot speak for yourself. The Jared Company has developed an app simply called ICE. The description from their website (you can also find this on App World, although you will be paying a little more) says: If you are in an accident the police or medical emergency personnel will look on your phone to get any information they can to save your life in the worst case. With this app you can store important contact and medical information that can be accessed from an obvious icon on your desktop.
    A quick search of iTunes pulled up three different ICE apps, all priced at $.99 each.

Dictionary.com Launches Free Blackberry App
    In addition to providing users with more than 500,000 words, definitions and synonyms, the app also features audio pronunciations, spelling suggestions, a “Word of the Day” for both English and Spanish and the ability to view a recently searched terms list. One of the features that is exclusively available on the Blackberry app is the ability to access a definition or synonym while reading or drafting an email. The app lets you highlight the word and you’ll be given an option to find a synonym or definition. The app also has a native feature that lets you email or SMS text any word and its definition to yourself or a contact.

ShoZu Launches App Store
    ShoZu Ltd announced the official launch of the ShoZu App Store, where smartphone owners can purchase the ShoZu app for most major operating systems (Oss). The direct-sales initiative complements ShoZu’s recent expansion of its sales channels, which currently include Apple’s App Store, Nokia’s OVI store and Research in Motion’s BlackBerry App World. The ShoZu App Store currently offers the ShoZu app for BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Nokia smartphones, as well as iPhones, with support for additional models and Oss to be announced. The ShoZu App Store sells the app for the same price as the third-party app stores. The ShoZu App Store recently finished a highly successful soft launch, where paid downloads exceeded sales through third-party app stores. As a direct sales channel, the ShoZu App Store also provides the company with a safeguard against any problems that arise at third-party stores.

Viper intros Remote Car Start via iPhone
    Oh, boy. It was only a matter of time, wasn’t it? Automobile security system company Viper has just introduced its SmartStart line consisting of an in-car hardware module with a cellular connection that allows you to lock, unlock, and remotely start your car from just about anywhere in the world.You can also show off by popping the trunk and hitting the panic button, too. The module can be added to existing compatible Viper systems for $300 or there’s an all-in-one system for $500 – both are currently available at Best Buy.

HiMyTribe Update Supercharges the iPhone for Business
    Today, Never Alone Anymore, a company created to arm the world with business social networking tools, launched the HiMyTribe update for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Feature highlights include essential push notifications, background auto-searches for even when not actively in the application and a vendor marketplace, empowering people all over the world to conduct business and find local businesses from your phone wherever you are. HiMyTribe is currently available in English and French and soon to be available in Chinese. HiMyTribe creates a single platform with innovative and interactive features all in one place. "Our application universe is growing at an exponential rate. Social networking applications are plentiful but do not really offer a useful solution," said Jean-Marc Orselli, CEO of Never Alone Anymore. "We are pleased to bring HiMyTribe to the iPhone user because amongst 75,000 applications there are a deluge of apps that help you find a person but not necessarily the one you are looking for. By listening to the public, we are addressing a need for useful business tools on your iPhone so it will operate like a BlackBerry."

iPhone radio.app is being developed in-house by Apple
    We've just received a tip that an iPhone radio.app is being developed in-house by Apple for use on the iPhone and iPod touch. From what we know, the app will be allowed to operate in the background like iPod.app and will offer the same functionality as the FM radio in the new iPod Nanos. The source mentioned that this application could also be incorporated into the iPod.app before release. The holdup on this app is that Apple is trying to integrate the Mobile iTunes Store purchases into the functionality of the program. For instance, if you like a song you are listening to on the radio (and that station supports tagging and you are in the US), you will be able to push a button and see the song (and all of the information around it) in the iTunes Mobile store. With another click, you'll be able to make a purchase. This is an extension of the Song Tagging feature used in the iPod Nanos. Perhaps they could even add some Shazam technology to help with those stations that don't support tagging.

Layar Brings Augmented Reality Browser To The iPhone
    Half an hour ago, I just had an iPhone 3GS. Now, I have an iPhone 3GS with Layar installed.
    It was one of the main questions I had for the Dutch company, which markets an augmented reality browser, when they launched at the Mobile 2.0 Europe event in Barcelona last year. When would they be complementing their Android program with an application for the iPhone? They said it’d come in the fall of this year, and while there have been a number of AR applications made available on the App Store in the meantime, Layar’s finally arrived a couple of hours ago and it’s worth a second look. (iTunes link)

Facebook 1.7 Now Available for Download!!!!
    Facebook Mobile for BlackBerry (version 1.7) provides the following feature enhancements:
    - News Feed Support - The ability to set the News Feed as the landing page
    - News Feed Filters - The ability to toggle between 'News Feed, Status Updates, Photos & Links'
    - Caching Improvements - The application uses the device memory more efficiently.
    - Feed Pre-fetching - The user will not be required to wait while their Facebook Feeds are updated
    - View Profile Menu Option - Clients may easily view their own profile by selecting 'View my Profile' from the menu. "
    Download it by visiting blackberry.com/facebook or m.facebook.com on your BlackBerry's web browser. So what's new?

More Than 100 iPhone Apps For Green Shopping, Eating, Travel and Fun
    I've been following @SpareTheAir for quite some time on Twitter, keeping an eye out for eco news as well as "Spare the Air Alert Days" for the Bay Area. Today I saw a tweet from them in regards to eco-friendly/go green apps for the iPhone and thought I'd share the link.
    About a year ago, treehugger.com put together a list of 20 iPhone apps that would help you live a greener life. The number of apps we've seen come across the radar since then has exploded to the point where we wonder how on earth anyone can keep track of them. As Ron Williams, President of 3rdWhale, a green app developer, states, "The iTunes App Store is a big part of the reason [there are so few great green apps] -- it does not do a good job of encouraging their millions of visitors to look beyond the small number of apps featured on their homepage..." He suggests even adding just a "sustainability" tag would be a big help. Well, until we get that, we figured we should start pulling them together for you. So here are our old favorites, new additions we think are cool, and some interesting oddball apps that we're curious about. Read more and see all 100 apps listed (via treehugger.com)

PinStack Exclusives

Top 5 Free Apps Available for All Major Smartphone Platforms, Download Now!
    All available for download on at least 4 of the major smartphone platforms, which include Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm WebOS, Nokia Symbian & Windows Mobile.
    This list comprises of what we think are the top five FREE apps for smartphones. Remember this list based on cross-platform app availability. There are also a few other noteworthy mentions

Top 20 Smartphones Available Q4 2009 - So many choices and launches.
    We've gathered what we believe are the top 20 smartphones for 2009! This list includes some recently launched AND soon to be launched smartphones. From Q1 to Q4 of 2009 there are a lot of smartphones our there to choose from. Our list is alphabetically sorted by smartphone OS but otherwise random. Let us know your preferences/additions...

Have a GREAT weekend! Keep on 'stackin!

-c2

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review, Cherri. Thanks again for taking the time to put all this together and allow us to lazily survey the news for the week.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Nice! Thanks Cherri

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Nice review, Cherri. Thanks again for taking the time to put all this together and allow us to lazily survey the news for the week.
    In all honesty, lately its been my way to catch up on news

Quote Originally Posted by SGZrazberry View Post
    Nice! Thanks Cherri
    You're welcome. Its my pleasure