As the rumored dates approach for new BlackBerry device launches, RIM officially launched the much ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for October 9, 2009

Advertisement

As the rumored dates approach for new BlackBerry device launches, RIM officially launched the much anticipated BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 to the masses! If you have been running a leaked version, you can now download the official release! With a minor change to the UI from what the leaked version looked like, and a few added features, this launch will keep me satisfied for the time being.

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    Blackberry App World More Expensive Than iPhone, Android Stores
    BBM 5.0 Global Launch: Available Now!
    BlackBerry Bold 2 to be announced October 21 for T-Mobile, AT&T
    RIM posts new BlackBerry widget APIs, dev kit

iPhone Rumors & News
    Flash coming to most smartphones, but not Apple's iPhone
    AT&T Extends VOIP to 3G Network for iPhone
    TELUS iphone 3GS Coming Soon.
    Apple Releases iPhone OS 3.1.2

Palm OS Rumors & News

Windows Mobile Rumors & News
    AT&T announces first Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphones
    Acer's New WM 6.5 smartphone line-up uncovered!

Nokia Rumors & News

Android Rumors & News
    T-Mobile introduces Android-powered Samsung Behold II
    Verizon to start selling Google's Android phones
    Android Gets it's Own Search Box

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    J.D. Power and Associates Reports: As Customer Satisfaction
    5 things that all GREAT smartphones "should" have!

Carrier Related:
    T-Mobile rolling out Wi-Fi calling for corporate BlackBerry users

---------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

Introducing Search Options for mobile
    Finding the exact information you need sometimes requires filtering and refining your search results. Earlier in the year, Google launched a collection of tools called Search Options which enable you to easily and quickly do this from a computer. Today in the US, Google is making Search Options available on Android/iPhone/Palm WebOS devices so that you can slice and dice your mobile search results as well. For example, suppose you are shopping at a store for a camera, and you would like to see what users have been saying about a specific model within the past week. You can do this simply by searching for the name of the product. Then, on the search results page, use "Options" to filter by "Forums" and refine further by choosing "Past week". See the screenshots below for a sample query. Try these and other Search Options yourself by simply doing a mobile search on google.com and selecting Options.

SPB TV for BlackBerry Released
    SPB TV is now available for the BlackBerry! This app has been around for the Windows Mobile platform for a while and released for Android not that long ago and now BlackBerry users can watch streaming TV. Several PinStack members including myself were involved in beta testing this app over the last few weeks and many issues have been addressed in that time.

Bolt Browser Out of Beta
    I've been in the Bolt beta testing program for a while and it's come a long way. It has become a serious contender for Opera Mini and an app that I hope RIM pays attention to when designing new features for their own upcoming browser. However I received an email this morning from Bolt informing me that they have officially released version 1.5 and that they are finally dropping the beta tag from the title.

Overall this browser is fast, reliable, and renders pages beautifully for mobile devices. It's definitely worth grabbing for anyone who is looking for a stable alternative to their mobile device's browser. You can download the newest version of their browser, here.

With version 1.5 comes the following new features:
    • Cache Support to speed users’ ability to move quickly back and forth between the currently and previously viewed Web pages through the use of backward and forward navigation.
    • Download Manager for easy download of files directly from BOLT and the ability to save them to specific folders on the mobile phone (requires JSR75 support on the device).
    • Support for Streaming Videos of Any Length that overcomes limitations on some phones’ ability to stream videos of longer lengths. The new approach ensures video clips will play on all devices, for any length video.
    • Video Wizard to assist users in configuring their device for optimal video playback.
    • Dedicated Search Bar on home page, for easier and faster online searches.
    • Improved Ability to Manage RSS Feeds by allowing users to arrange and file feeds just as they do with their favorites and bookmarks.
    • Enhancements for Touch Screen Devices such as simple volume controls for the BOLT media player which now offers volume controls on the screen.
    • Enhancements for BOLT Servers in the cloud, which increase the already fast BOLT mobile browser by an additional 10 to 20 percent.
    doubleTwist Unveils Alternative To iTunes Music Store, Powered By Amazon
    doubleTwist now includes an integrated Music Store, powered by Amazon’s MP3 Store. But unlike iTunes, this app will let you transfer your files to non-Apple devices. The store includes Amazon’s catalog of over 5 million songs, allowing users to purchase songs either as albums or individual tracks (there’s also plenty of free songs available). From a design standpoint, it’s clear that iTunes served as a big inspiration — if you’ve ever used the iTunes Store before, it will take you all of thirty seconds to figure out how to use this one.

RealVNC & Sicap Provide Innovative Mobile Device Remote Control Management
    Sicap Device Management Center (DMC) provides automated management and customer care /self-care solutions on 80 mobile networks Worldwide, managing 800 million handsets. It now integrates the VNC OEM package, offering unique access to VNC remote control technology. VNC Mobile Solution supports multiple platforms including Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry, and already has development versions for iPhone, Android and Linux Mobile with Palm Pre coming soon. Using VNC Mobile Solution, customer care agents can remotely access the mobile device in use, to help customers with configuration, diagnose problems, and give advice on the installed applications. The solution brings significant savings, both in the duration of helpdesk calls, and in the handling of returns of non-faulty devices. A tier-one operator in Europe for example, has reduced the number of returned handsets by 10 percent.

Adobe Shows Off Flash Apps For iPhone. Yes, You Read That Right.
    Never say never: Adobe Labs is today showing off a couple of Flash applications for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform at its annual Adobe MAX event. A couple of demo applications made by third-party developers are already available on the Apple App Store and are built using the brand new Flash Professional CS5, of which a public beta with pre-release support for building applications for iPhone is planned for later this year. Note that this does not mean you’ll be able to watch Flash-based web content on your iPhone just yet...

---------------------------------------------------------

Be on the lookout for a new PScast this week!!!

It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in Nor Cal and I aim to enjoy the awesome sunny weather after spending 6 rain soaked days in Dallas! Have a GREAT weekend! Cya on the Stacks!

-c2

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Great Review I love the weekly recaps.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Have fun in NorCal!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Good review. Bolts awsome~!
    "good things come to tho's who wait"

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice WIR, Cherri. I too like the new Bolt browser. It's great on my wi-fi only device too. I wish they'd have set the space key to enter a period (dot) in the URL entry tho - I'm so used to that in other browswers!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com