This has been a HUGE week for new/old BlackBerry owners. RIM launched a slew of ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for November 20, 2009

Advertisement

This has been a HUGE week for new/old BlackBerry owners. RIM launched a slew of new devices, starting last week with the 9700 Bold (coming to AT&T tomorrow). I am most excited to see the news of the rumored new Pearl. While the qwerty users have been in Heaven in regards to upgrades on devices, the suretype users have been left in the dust (sorry, but the 82xx model just didn't take off like I think RIM thought it would .. although I loved that phone - when it worked).

---------------------------------------------------------
    Smartphone News for the Week

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    BlackBerry Internet Service hit with data outages worldwide
    Rumor:BlackBerry Touchscreen Slider on the Way
    Pearl Lovers, 9100 Pearl is Coming!
    Verizon BlackBerry Curve 8530 Now Available

iPhone Rumors & News
    iPhone Unlock in UK As of November 10th

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Palm Updates WebOS 1.3.1

Windows Mobile Rumors & News

Nokia Rumors & News

Android Rumors & News
    Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica Android Phone
    Dell Confirms Android Smartphone
    Rumored 'Google Phone' said to be coming in 2010 (Update)

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    AT&T Loses Round 1 in Court Battle with Verizon (video)
    T-Mobile Seeks Wireless Partner

Smartphone Applications/Accessories
    Seesmic Launches New Free Twitter App for Android & BlackBerry
    For all of you tweeters out there another new Twitter client is ready for Android and BlackBerry users. Desktop client Seesmic now has a mobile app. I'm giving it a try on my Motorola Droid and it's a bit slower to load than Swift(my favorite twitter app for Android) and is having some issues with giving me someone else's avatar in my timeline but otherwise it is loaded with options and has a nice UI.
    From their Android description: "Seesmic now offers the Twitter client you've been waiting for! A powerful feature-rich application that's simple and easy to use. Share photos with your choice of image service, post videos to YouTube, share links connected with your Bit.ly account, fully configure your notifications and view your Direct Messages in a simple threaded view.
    From their BlackBerry description: "Seesmic brings you the ability to manage your Twitter account on the go using your BlackBerry mobile device. Seesmic for BlackBerry provides you with the ability view your friend's status updates in an interface that is familiar and inspired by BlackBerry's own native applications."

iPhone apps run background checks on your date
    In a move that is sure to make playboys everywhere nervous, Internet company PeopleFinders has created two iPhone applications that let users perform background checks on their potential dates. The apps, known as "Stud or Dud?" and "Are They Really Single?", utilize data culled from countless public records to give users a more complete picture of whom they're going out with. PeopleFinders President and COO Bryce Lane says his company collects data from "thousands of sources" across the country from "federal governments to the very smallest city governments." He says the company then uses algorithms to sort through the data and make comprehensive files that will give users a reliable picture of who the person is. From there, the data is placed in PeopleFinders' database and is put up for sale. While both of the applications the company debuted today cost a mere $0.99 to download, users can only access records by either paying $9.95 per record or by paying an annual subscription fee of $24.95. In the case of "Stud or Dud?" users have the option of using simply by a person's first and last name, by their age and hometown, or by their phone number. From there, the program gives you a list of potential matches to choose from.

Elertify Updated Big Time
    Just a few weeks ago, Azstar brought this great app to the forefront for the Pinstack Community. The company gave away 20 copies and I was lucky enough to win one. Since then, I've loved this app and it's features. Mainly because I no longer have to check my device everytime I receive an email or SMS while I'm sitting at the computer. Here's a quick run-down of the features, including the newest.

Facebook App updated to version 1.7.0.22
    The Facebook application just got an update it jumped from 1.7.0.18 to 1.7.0.22.
    Hopefully this fixes a lot of the issues the application has been having. The current one has been performing really slow. You can pick up the latest by going to mobile.blackberry.com or www.blackberry.com/facebook on your BB browser.

New Google News for mobile
    I'm sure many Stackers are like me and use Google News from our Mobile while on the go. If so you may find some nice changes to the web site via your mobile browser. via Google Mobile Blog: Today we're excited to announce a completely new Google News offering for iPhone, Android, and Palm Pre users. (We already offer a mobile-optimized version of Google News for other phones, such as Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and S60, and more improvements will be coming to those in the near future) So pick up your mobile phone and point your browser to http://news.google.com to catch up on news anytime and anywhere.

An update to Google Earth for the iPhone
    iPhone user who have grown to love Maps and the Google Earth today there is an update. Be sure to check the App Store for your listed updates. From the Google Mobile Blog: Just over one year ago, we unveiled Google Earth for the iPhone and iPod touch. Google Earth quickly became one of the most popular applications in the App Store, and after only six months, was the second most-downloaded free application overall. A big thank-you to the over 220,000 users have taken the time to write a review! Today, we're proud to announce version 2.0 of Google Earth for iPhone. We've added some exciting new features, including the ability to view maps that you create on your desktop computer right from your iPhone, explore the app in new languages, and improved icon selection and performance.

PinStack Exclusives

Review SyncMate 2.4: Sync Your Mac With Multiple Devices

BOLD 9700 - 5 Days after...

Have a GREAT weekend! Cya on the stacks
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 11-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks, again, cherri ! Great job in such a busy week !
    I got your pin msg right now, as I write this ! Thanks ! Will pin you next time !
    The 8520 is gone ! Now it´s 9700, baby ...!
    Cheers !

PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ i just added your review to the WIR!! I have 18 new 9700 themes, so check them out when you can

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Thumbs up

Geez cherri - I'm honoured, really. Wow !
    Going to jump now to your themes.
    Thanks !

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Too bad RIM led us to believe a new Bold was on the way.

At least that's the impression I got.

The good news is that Curve lovers, had their favorite re-branded as the Bold 9700.

Wonders never cease.

Hello RIM? Anybody home?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Thanks Cherri

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Great WIR as usual, thanks Cherri

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Good job CC
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for the weekly wrap-up C, I loved my Pearl, it was my first BB.....actually my first smartphone. I had PDAs before, a couple different Palms, but the Pearl was my first all-in-one and even though I know I prefer QWERTY and could never go back to it, it was a great device. I know several people who are beyond thrilled to see an update coming for this!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I agree Sam, I had a handful of users on Pearls because they really liked the form factor. I replaced every single one of them at least once, some up to 3-4 times. I finally refused to stop buying them. I'm sure some people in my company will be very pleased to see this.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    My husband stayed on an 8100 then upgraded to an 8120 before I finally got him to use a Curve, 2 years later. He thought it was too big and didn't want to put it in his pocket. A few months ago he upgraded to the new Curve and says he will never go back to a suretype device Thinking back, that was a HUGE launch for BlackBerry. The size was awesome!