I don't know about you guys, but with all the new launches of multiple platform/multiple ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for May 29, 2009

I don't know about you guys, but with all the new launches of multiple platform/multiple carrier smartphones, I feel a little overwhelmed. As you know, I have tried to branch out and try new things only to come back to what is comfortable. My smartphone use has actually increased since relieving myself from Corporate America. Although now, my needs are different; more casual. But all these new shiny devices are tempting. I'm wondering, with all the different models, operating systems, etc., how confusing it is for the average consumer to choose what device is right for him/her. If you go into a store, is it purely based on what the sales people are trained on? And why doesn't RIM market PIN messaging as one of their BEST features? I've met so many people who have BlackBerry devices and have no clue what BBM or PIN messaging was ... its a feature that sets the BlackBerry apart from any other smartphone out there yet I've never heard it advertised in a commercial or seen it listed in a marketing poster/print. It's the first and most important feature I missed when using the iPhone (that instant feel of connecting). Food for thought. Now on to the Week in Review

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    BlackBerry Storm 2: the official unofficial hands-on
    Blackberry Magnum, Onyx, Pearl 3G, and Gemini to At&T
    RIM warns of BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
    Facebook 1.6 Launch Countdown...Delayed!

iPhone Rumors & News
    AT&T offer iPhone trade in's 32GB as choice

Windows Mobile Rumors & News

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Palm Pre to sync with iTunes

Nokia News
    Nokia N900 “Rover” smartphone gets pictured, with specs
    Nokia's Ovi Store overwhelmed at launch, apology issued

Android Rumors & News
    AT&T to see Android in August
    T-Mobile Pushes Android 1.5 Cupcake Update To G1 Users
    Dual-SIM DSTL1 Android smartphone from General Mobile coming in June
    Google Ion / HTC Magic Unboxing

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    Alleged Nokia Linux smartphone plans exposed by leak
    Smartphone Smackdown: Palm Pre vs iPhone 3.0 vs Storm 2 vs Nokia N97
    Big Announcement from Verizon CEO

---------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

MiFi lets you share your portable Internet connection
    A remarkable new networking gadget from Novatel Wireless Inc. seems to have gotten everything right except the name. It's called MiFi, a catchy but inaccurate moniker for such an unselfish product. Anybody with a BlackBerry or an Apple iPhone knows what it's like to carry the Internet around in a shirt pocket. But what about the person sitting next to you? Perhaps you'd like to share your cellular data stream with friends, family members, or business colleagues. Novatel's found a nearly painless way to do it: a tiny black rectangle about the same size as a business card case that acts as a portable Internet hotspot.

Neenah Paper Adds Color to the iPhone App Store
    Neenah Paper today introduced the first iPhone and iPod Touch application that allows designers to create color palettes from the palm of their hand. Think Ink: Color Unleashed was created specifically for the iPhone to allow users to build custom color palettes using the Dewey Color System. It can be downloaded for free here. "We wanted to give designers and printers the ability to pull inspiration from a variety of resources, whether it's a vibrant green found on a blade of grass or a pale shade of yellow, and create a perfect color palette for their project," says Tom Wright, senior director of advertising and design for Neenah Paper. "This application is unlike anything on the market. Users not only can translate the source of the inspiration into an immediate color palette, but they can use the app to select a paper that best enhances the design."

Searchme App Now Available at Newly Launched Nokia Ovi Store
    Searchme, Inc. today announced that the Searchme Nokia app is available at Nokia's Ovi Store. Nokia, the world's largest mobile phone manufacturer, launched its Ovi Store on Tuesday. The Ovi Store is a 'smart store' that changes the way Nokia's customers can discover and consume content on their mobile phones making the experience more relevant. Instead of a list of blue links, Searchme delivers images of web pages, videos, music and products on the search result page making it easy to find and consume information on a cell phone. Searchme offers significantly improved performance for searching on a phone because it runs as a native Symbian application rather than in a slow-rendering web browser. Unlike other search applications, Searchme supports a full touch screen interface on mobile devices including the Nokia 5800 and N97 phones.

Skyfire Launches Its 1.0 Version With Over One Million Users
    Today Skyfire, the makers of the same-name PC-like browser for mobile devices, is announcing the launch of its 1.0 version now available for free download at get.skyfire.com. Over one million consumers have installed and used the Skyfire browser in just under five months, making it the fastest growing downloadable mobile browser in North America. This demonstrates the explosive consumer demand for exact-PC like full internet browsing on mobile devices. Skyfire 1.0 delivers the PC web, real fast.

PinStacker Reviews

Mini-review on the "MiFi 2200"... by Jbee

PinStack Public/Private App Betas

Public Beta: All new "PinStack.com Mobile reader" (Free Download).
    If you haven't downloaded it already, I highly recommend the new PinStack Mobile Reader as your one stop shop for everything on PinStack, from News to forum posts, as well as for all your other news feed needs!

BerryPopup Public Beta 1.0.41

PScast: Episode 17 ... Up to Date on all the Latest Smartphone Rumors/News?

This episode includes:
    WIR recap (AT&T 8900 Curve; WWDC Sold Out!; Google Product Search)
    Site Announcements (Public Beta of PinStack Mobile Reader; Top Posters Contest)
    Smartphone Discussions
    Smartphone E-News (Twitter reality show?)

Episode 17
    standard bitrate (34mb) -- don't forget accessible on your Berry thru Opera Mini
    low bitrate (8mb) -- accessible through default BlackBerry browser

Link to add feed to Podcast

Listen on iTunes (if you are subscribed to the podcast, then it will update in itunes automatically)

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Awesome can't wait to listen
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Cherri, I totally agree with you about being overwhelmed with all the new devices. That's what made me give the g1 a try. Even though the device is wonderful it lacked the reliabilty of instant messaging which is why I use a smartphone in the first place. Bbm is one of the best features of the blackberry, but I guess to developers the email capabilities stand out more than anything else, so its RIM's best marketing tool. Great reviews by the way.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Great cast guys, Congrats Glenn !

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Another good one, Cherri. Thanks again!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'm a firm believer that if you let yourself be swayed by a salesperson 8 out 10 times you're probably going to be dissapointed. Personal desires/needs along with some research can steer you in the right direction when making that big decision about which smart device to buy or try out