TGIF Everyone! The big news in the world of BlackBerry this week is the launch ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for May 22, 2009

TGIF Everyone! The big news in the world of BlackBerry this week is the launch of the AT&T branded 8900 Curve. I have to say that if I would have waited for this launch, I would have been sadly disappointed. While the 8900 Curve has all the latest bells & whistles, using Hayden's Rogers branded 8900 while at CTIA left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied (compared to my Bold). With that being said, it looks like Android is winning on the news front, with news of Android devices coming to Canada along with the announcements for a few new devices loaded with the Android OS. If you listen to the PScast, you would know that Gary was testing a G1 a few weeks back and now has moved on to a unlocked 9530 on TMO (and myself on ATT). Be sure to listen in on the weekly PScast to get hands on comparisons of some of the latest Smartphone devices.

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    AT&T BlackBerry 8900 Curve Now Available!
    Yahoo! Abandons it's Mobile App for Other Smartphones to Focus on iPhone!

iPhone Rumors & News
    Rumors Regarding Background App Support in iPhone 3.0
    WWDC is Sold Out... Missed it Again.
    Wired Article on next Gen iPhone
    Rumor: iPhone 3.0 Background App Support Screenshot.

Windows Mobile Rumors & News

Palm OS Rumors & News
    The Pre Will Indeed Launch Days Before A Likely iPhone Buzz Saw
    Palm Pre to Launch Saturday, June 6th Confirmed by Sprint.

Nokia News
    Nokia taking pre-orders for N97 smartphone

Android Rumors & News
    Samsung i7500 Android-based Smartphone Approved by FCC
    Strategy Analytics: 900% Growth in Android Smartphone Shipments for 2009
    Android is Coming to Canada, Pre-order the HTC Dream or Magic at Best Buy
    Video Walkthrough of HTC Hero Firmware

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    AT&T to take over Alltel
    Intel Medfield: System-on-a-Chip for Smartphones (2011)
    AT&T is working to position itself as the top U.S. smartphone provider
    US Cellular Introduces a Battery Swap Program

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

Google Product Search for Android now with Barcode Scanning
    Google just integrated barcode scanning with "Product Search" for mobile. Here's how to get started. First, visit the Google Product Search for mobile homepage by going to in your browser and selecting 'Shopping' from the 'more' tab. Next, tap on the 'Scan Barcode' button to install the latest version of the Barcode Scanner app -- if you don't already have it -- from Android Market.

Handmark Launches First International News App for Android Phones
    Handmark, the leading developer and distributor of games, applications and storefronts for mobile phones around the world, today announced Express News, a free mobile news app for Android-based phones. Express News is the first app to offer more than 300 news feeds in eight languages, exploiting many of the unique features offered with Google’s new mobile platform.
    “We are constantly examining the market to determine where we can provide the most value to mobile users,” said Ted Wugofski, Handmark Chief Technology Officer and GM of Pocket Express. “Express News app is a perfect fit for the Android market delivering the most robust mobile news experience I’ve used on any platform.”
    Express News takes advantage of the company’s new European version of Pocket Express which it unveiled at the GSMA Mobile World Congress show in February. Pocket Express is the company’s global flagship mobile service offering news, sports, weather, travel information and more in one easy-to-use application.

Case-mate launches new cases for iPhone 3G & BlackBerry
    Who you text and email on your phone are your own business...and with the Stealth, it’ll stay that way. We’re talking a matte black, self-adhesive protective back and a Privacy Screen protector for the front. Sure, everyone stares at your sweet ride, your watch, your sunglasses...but your iPhone.. eyes to yourself, buddy.

Self-adhesive, self-healing, matte black polymer film
    Includes a full-face privacy screen that provides a 45° viewing angle
    Easy application in less than a minute

PinStack Betas

Microsoft MyPhone Beta available to the public for free
    "Microsoft My Phone syncs information between your mobile phone and the web, enabling you to:
    Back up and restore your phone's information to a password-protected web site
    Access and update your contacts and appointments through your web account
    Share photos on your phone with family and friends" Find out more or get it HERE

PScast: Episode 16 ... Hey, Where's my Trackball?

This episode includes:
    WIR recap
    Site Announcements
    Smartphone Discussions
    Smartphone E-News

Episode 16
    standard bitrate (50mb) -- don't forget accessible on your Berry thru Opera Mini
    low bitrate (12mb) -- accessible through default BlackBerry browser

Link to add feed to Podcast

Listen on iTunes (if you are subscribed to the podcast, then it will update in itunes automatically)

Have a SAFE and FUN Memorial Day Weekend!

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Great review Cherri. Have a great weekend in Tahoe!

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    ask me
    good job as allways cherri, drive safe and have fun..
    Last edited by ealvnv; 05-22-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nice one Cherri & Gary!

Carpe Diem!!

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!