TGIF Everyone! With news coming at us every-which-way, sometimes it's hard to keep up. That's ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for May 15th, 2009

TGIF Everyone! With news coming at us every-which-way, sometimes it's hard to keep up. That's what PinStack is for Each week I compile all the news & rumors into this post, attempting to make it easier to catch up on all the latest smartphone information. As always, I am open to feedback to make this WIR better for everyone. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave you comment in this thread. With that being said, I hope ya'll had a GREAT week! This week I have been getting myself acclimated with my new Storm 9530. I will have to say that it has been much easier adapting to the touch screen technology of the Storm (as opposed to the iPhone)...maybe its because the BlackBerry platform is already familiar to me so the only adapting is the touch screen. Be sure to tune into the PScast to hear more on my first week on the Storm.

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    Blackberry Driftwood “Confirmed” For T-mobile In September
    AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8900 to run $199 w/a 2 year contract
    A glimpse of Storm 2?

iPhone Rumors & News
    SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone About to Hit the AppStore...but W/O 3G
    Unofficial Software Incurs Apple’s Wrath

Windows Mobile Rumors & News
    Acer's DX900 and X960 WinMo smartphones now available

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Internal Palm memo may reveal Pre launch timing

Android Rumors & News
    Rumors abound on who will make T-Mobile G1 v2
    Samsung Spica & Bigfoot coming Q3 2009?

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    The Price of Staying Connected
    The 11 coolest things smartphones can do
    Nokia E71x smartphone comes through AT&T
    AT&T and Verizon Wireless Sell and Swap Assets
    Upcoming Plan Changes at T-Mobile?
    Verizon Netbooks in Stores May 17

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

InterCall One Touch Conferencing To-Go Now Available for BlackBerry
    InterCall, the world's largest conferencing and collaboration services provider, today announced that Mobile Assistant, its application that makes conferencing on-the-go as simple as pressing one button on a BlackBerry smartphone, is available for immediate download on BlackBerry App World. InterCall's Mobile Assistant enables a one button start for the conferences InterCall customers host or join regularly.

Reznor: NIN App in the works for BlackBerry
    I'll say this for celebrity Twitter accounts: they sure can stir up some news. Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor used it to good effect on Wednesday when he tweeted that a version of his band's iPhone application is in the works for BlackBerry. Reznor's camp hasn't yet let slip a release date, except the vague and taunting promise of "soon."

yadaTranslate Free-Form Language Translator Offered on BlackBerry App World
    BioAuthorize, a Scottsdale, AZ tech firm, has activated an agreement for its yadaTranslate free-form language translator, allowing for text language translations between 22 different languages, to be offered on the BlackBerry App World. The new application is under the Reference & eBooks category for use on the BlackBerry Curve, Pearl, Bold and Storm. BioAuthorize also has pending approval with the BlackBerry App World, its application yadaSay free-form English and Spanish text and voice language translator. yadaSay is currently available through the Apple App Store for the iPhone and iTouch.

Handmark Collaborates with Thomson Reuters to Launch New App for BlackBerry
    Handmark, the leading developer and distributor of mobile games, applications and storefronts, today announced it has leveraged its proprietary Mobile Publishing Platform technology to release a new mobile application for Thomson Reuters. Today's launch is the latest in Thomson Reuters' long standing commitment to mobile innovation, and is specifically developed for a rapid read-in to what's moving markets. This new mobile application gives BlackBerry smartphone users one-click access to Thomson Reuters deep business news, award-winning photography, market data and financial information.

Google To Synch Desktop, Mobile Searches
    Google revealed a number of core search upgrades at its Searchology event today—but it didn’t leave mobile search out of the mix. Engineering Director Scott Huffman demonstrated that Google searchers will soon be able to automatically synch their desktop and mobile searches. “Mobile search is growing faster than search on PCs, and it’s the primary way that people access search in some countries,” he said. “But we want [it] to become a daily engagement activity no matter where you are.”

PinStacker Reviews

Review: MobiMouse 1.3 Use Your BlackBerry as a Mouse & Keyboard for your PC
    Verdict: Very cool app with many uses
    Pros: Multiple connection options, support for Vista 64(tests on Windows 7 32 bit worked well too), use keys on your BlackBerry to open programs or use Windows shortcuts
    Cons: It can be a bit complicated to set up some of the ways of connecting. The native things like auto capitalizing the word I don't translate to the PC screen.
    URL: Mobihand Handango
    Price: Regularly $9.99 but if you purchase it through App World then it is only $4.99 *note that right now only version 1.2 is available, version 1.3 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. Also the $4.99 is a promo price, not sure when it will end.
    Overall Rating: Love it! There's a 7 day trial available through App World, Handango, and Mobihand so try it out!
    Compatible Devices:Works with BlackBerry devices running OS 4.5 or higher including the BlackBerry Storm!

PinStack Private/Public Betas, Contest Giveaways & Discount Codes

Reply To Enter: SmartAlerts - New BlackBerry App Giveaway, 25 Free Copies!

The SmartAlerts Winners are!!

Monitor your data traffic, testers wanted

PScast: Episode 15 ... Storming into May

This episode includes:
    WIR recap
    Site Announcements
    Smartphone Discussions

Episode 15
    standard bitrate (63mb) -- don't forget accessible on your Berry thru Opera Mini
    low bitrate (12mb) -- accessible through default BlackBerry browser

Link to add feed to Podcast

Listen on iTunes (if you are subscribed to the podcast, then it will update in itunes automatically)

Have a GREAT weekend! Cya next week!

-c2's to 17,000+ posts! whoo hoo!

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    17,000+ posts???

Take that Red....

Eternally grateful for all of your hard work at keeping us nummies informed!
    Congrats on the (always useful posts)
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    ask me
    O M G 17000,awesome

Nice review cherri, I'm sure it takes a lot of time to do that, thanks for doing it...
    ~via smartphone

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Great always. Definitely a busy week with all the software and updates being released. Thanks!

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2

awaiting your "storm diary" with great anticipation.....

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Hi cherri - ok, from now on I wait for your week in review... geez, where do you get the time for this, lady?
    Thanks for another what a work out...

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    I too am awaiting more from the storm review. . . i hear there is something called a BB Thunder????( A Storm for ATT)-can anyone confirm this???

Carpe Diem!!

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Awesome review and wow on the 17,000+ you are super woman

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review again, Cherri. Thanks.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com