I've been a little out of touch lately with the smartphone world. Simply compiling this ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for July 3, 2009

I've been a little out of touch lately with the smartphone world. Simply compiling this WIR helped me get caught up on all things happening for the week or so I've been out. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Happy 4th of July!!

BlackBerry Rumors & News
    Verizon 9630 Tour Available July 12th Pre-Order Now With or Without Camera!

iPhone Rumors & News
    Apple Prepping iPhone 3.1 Software Update, Beta Out for Developers
    iPhone3GS Jailbrakeing Tool Available

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Sprint takes gloves off, aims for Apple's chin
    Video: GSM SIM Card Enabled Palm Pre
    Palm releases webOS 1.0.4 update for Pre

Windows Mobile Rumors & News
    Sneak peek at Meizu M8's new user interface

Nokia News
    Nokia Smartphones Get Nuance Voice Recognition

Android Rumors & News
    "GeeksPhone" launches "One" Android Smartphone
    HTC Sense Possibly the Best Smartphone GUI to date?
    New HTC Hero ROM leaked, Flash 10 already on a few lucky G1s

Other Smartphone Rumors & News
    Nokia, Apple, RIM and others agree on micro-USB phone charger standard

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

Nobex Has Added Over 250 NPR Stations
    The folks at Nobex have been hard at work adding more new stations. I received 2 emails from them over the weekend. The first was to let me know that a station I had requested as playable many months ago is now up and running(and streaming beautifully btw). So if you have made a request, rest assured they are working to fill as many of those requests as they can. Then I got the second email to let me know that they have recently added over 250 NPR stations.

Mobile Tag’s solution now downloadable for GPhones and BlackBerry
    Innovative French company and European 2D mobile barcode leader, Mobile Tag, announces today that its Datamatrix embedded software application mobiletag, that allows mobile phones to read 2D barcodes simply by using the phone's camera to provide quick access to external content such as movie trailers or promotional information, is now downloadable on the Android Market for GPhones, and on the BlackBerry App Store.

iPhone, BlackBerry, Smartphone Developer Alert
    Smartphone developers wanting to take advantage of on-demand digital printing as part of their applications need look no further than, Inc.'s online Web-to-print service. Developers can integrate with AmazingMail's on-demand printing services to send personalized direct mail directly from hand-held devices, including the ability to spontaneously send postcards composed from "in-the-moment" smartphone photos.

Skype for iPhone 1.1 Released. Make Skype call over Wi-Fi
    A new version of the communications workhorse Skype has been released for iPhone and iPod Touch users running OS 2.2 or 3.0. Useful new features in this release include the ability to access Skype voicemail from your iPhone as well as to send low cost SMS messages via your Skype client. Sign into Skype via 3G, WiFi, GPRS or Edge and see who is online - then instant message them whenever, and wherever the mood strikes.

Firefox Fennec Mobile Web Browser to debut on Android?
    Google move paves way for Firefox on Android -- At present, Android applications are written in Java and run on Google's Dalvik Java virtual machine. However, last week, Google announced the Android Native Development Kit version 1.0 that lets software run natively on the Linux layer below, though the company sees it as a way not to run full-fledged applications as much as to run components of ordinary Android applications.
    Mozilla Releases Fennec Builds For Windows, Nokia Devices
    The latest version of mobile Firefox brings Windows Mobile & Nokia users better support for touch screens and better stability, Mozilla said. Mozilla continues to work on its mobile version of Firefox, and it released two new builds of its Fennec browser for Windows Mobile and Nokia Maemo devices. The latest versions of the mobile browser use the Gecko HTML rendering engine, and both versions support the TraceMonkey engine for JavaScript support. Additionally, the latest versions will improve the touch-screen support for Windows Mobile devices, as well as polish the overall performance and user interface.

New Nokia Messaging beta adds IM compatibilities, E75 gets first dibs
    The new Nokia Messaging offered by Nokia Beta Labs is compatible with Yahoo Messenger and Ovi -- more services are expected to be compatible in the future. This release is available today for the E75 - the first device bundled with a lifetime subscription to the Nokia Messaging service. Nokia will be adding support for more devices and communities soon! Key features: Chat with your friends on the Yahoo! Messenger and Ovi communities, Quickly navigate through multiple conversations across different communities, Background notifications of new IMs for true multitasking on your phone, Familiar and integrated community experience -Yahoo-specific emoticons, graphics, and sounds, Rapidly set status and availability, and login invisibly - choose who you want to talk to, See your Ovi friends' avatars and set your own, Save conversations to remember your chat sessions

NEW Facebook for iPhone OS 3.0, many new features.
    Details on the upcoming Facebook iPhone 3.0 app: The “new” News Feed, Like, Events (including the ability to RSVP), Notes, Pages, Create new photo albums, Upload photos to any album, Zoom into photos, Easier photo tagging, Profile Pictures albums, A new home screen for easy access to all your stuff, search, and notifications, Add your favorite profiles and pages to the home screen, Better Notifications (they link to the comments so you can reply), Quickly call or text people right from the Friends page, Messages you are typing will be restored if you quit or are interrupted by a phone call. The new home screen setup make for a more user-friendly experience, with the addition of Events, Notes, Pages, and photo albums. In fact, the addition of the Pages feature now means that you can follow the PinStack Facebook page on the go.

CoPilot Live GPS navigation solution now available for Android devices
    Matthew Miller posted a full review of TeleNav GPS Navigator software on the T-Mobile G1. Today, ALK Technologies announced the release of CoPilot Live for the Android platform that can be purchased for $34.99 in the Android Market. It is designed to run on the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1), HTC Magic, and upcoming HTC Hero. One of the major differences between this software and TeleNav’s solution is that you download all the maps for your selected region and store them on your microSD card so that no data connection is needed for the full navigation experience.

BerryBuzz 2.0 Private Beta Adds Support for BlackBerry Messenger& Facebook
    Bellshare has announced that BerryBuzz is now in private beta. This version is a HUGE step up from their already awesome current version. Here are a few of the added features:Added support for BlackBerry Messenger (yep, we did it), Added support for Facebook, Added coverage indicator that can be triggered when Radio/Data is available or when Radio/Data is not available, Changed to a more compact layout, Added support for custom LED colors, Added new color 'Disco', will flash all colors in sequence, Added LED color preview indicators to every item, Added scheduling option to mute LED and reminders during specified times of the week. The added support for BlackBerry Messenger has probably been one of the most requested features I have seen during previous betas and the addition of scheduling was one that I have personally been waiting for. Check out this thread on their forum for the full list of new features and fixes, details on requesting to become a part of the private beta group, and for bug submission and feedback.

Note: The beta is limited and they may not be able to honor all requests for the private beta

PinStacker Reviews

Review: Beejive Update for the BlackBerry Storm

PScast: Episode 20 .. What's NEW in the world of smartphones?

This episode includes:
    WIR recap
    Site Announcements (Top Posters Contest)
    Smartphone Discussions

Episode 20
    standard bitrate (39mb) -- don't forget accessible on your Berry thru Opera Mini
    low bitrate (19mb) -- accessible through default BlackBerry browser

Link to add feed to Podcast

Listen on iTunes (if you are subscribed to the podcast, then it will update in iTunes automatically)

Have a SAFE 4th of July weekend!

Celebrate Independence!

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    ask me
    Happy and safe 4th of July to you too C, thanks for the review
    ~via smartphone

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Thanks for another great WIR!!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for the wrap-up C!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    Nice WIR as usual. Nobex has been one of my favorite radio programs for some time and it's nice to see some major updates to the programming list to keep them competitive with the likes of Slacker and iHeart. Still anxiously awaiting Fennec on the BB. Totally avid FireFox user.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Nice WIR as usual. Still anxiously awaiting Fennec on the BB. Totally avid FireFox user.
    I think we have all been waiting patiently for FF for the BlackBerry ... looks like we are finally getting close to launch