If you are a Bold user, on AT&T, this week kinda felt like Christmas! We ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

PinStack Week in Review: Smartphone News, Reviews for August 28, 2009

If you are a Bold user, on AT&T, this week kinda felt like Christmas! We finally get to utilize that visual voice mail icon we've had on our Bold since the day we got them. While I have used transcription apps like GotVoice and YouMail, this one sends you the VM in audio format. The one thing I love about the AT&T VVM is the fact that after I listen (via the VVM app) the new message indicator goes away. With the third party apps, you will still need to go on and listen to delete the messages. There was some confusion on how to get this working. After two days of trying to get this activated on my Bold, we finally figured out it was because AT&T showed (in the billing system) me still using the Curve. AT&T also released an official OS upgrade to the Bold, OS While some reports on the forum said the wireless update was working, I didn't get mine to work and finally just loaded via DM. (that was another hour spent on the phone with AT&T/RIM support -- only for someone to tell me that I can upgrade via PC -- uh, yes ... but I want mine to upgrade wirelessly just like everyone else!?!).

BlackBerry Rumors & News

Great New Video Explains The Screen Technology for the Storm 2
    RIM Buys out Torch Mobile, Blackberry going WebKit
    Bold users can upgrade OS on AT&T tomorrow--visual voicemail?
    Handango Yardstick Report BlackBerry Becomes Dominant Platform For 1st Time
    BIS 2.8 Coming Soon

iPhone Rumors & News
    Rhapsody Vying For A Spot In The App Store
    Could Google Take Over the iPhone
    Apple finally enters the world’s biggest mobile market
    App Store Market Worth Nearly $2.5 Billion a Year
    Find Free Apps for your iPhone
    Second Place in App Store Brings in $6300 a Day
    Backup, Restore All Your Contacts
    Apple Proposes Location Based Home-Screens

Palm OS Rumors & News
    Palm Wants To Embrace Google Voice, But It’s Not Clear Google Wants To Embr

Windows Mobile Rumors & News

Nokia News
    Share pics on OVI via FaceBook and Twitter

Android Rumors & News

Other Smartphone Rumors & News

US Trade Officials To Probe Flash Memory Chips In BlackBerries, iPods
    Cracking GSM phone crypto via distributed computing
    Will Twitter-to-Facebook Publishing Make You Tweet Less?
    More smartphones than PCs by 2011

- Carrier Related
    San Diego Residents Learn the 'Smarts' of Their Smartphones
    Sprint-Virgin Mobile deal gets U.S. antitrust nod
    Wireless data plans required for new AT&T smartphone users

Smartphone Applications/Accessories

Thumbplay launches first ever Music Store for the BlackBerry Smartphone
    I had the pleasure of receiving a demo from Thumbplay not too long ago, while they were still in beta. Approved for the App Store this week, Thumbplay's Music Store is a free download. The Thumbplay Music Store features a great selection of DRM-free songs for your Blackberry Smartphone. Browse, preview and download music from thousands of artists, and then play your music from your phone, computer or any MP3 player. All MP3s are DRM-free and can be quickly downloaded over Wi-Fi, 3G or regular carrier networks.

Facebook 3.0 For the iPhone Now Available
    Nearly two weeks after submitting the app to Apple, Facebook’s totally revamped 3.0 application is finally live on the App Store, according to the app’s developer Joe Hewitt. You can download it now here. The store currently shows that the app is version 2.5, but if you click the Download button anyway you’ll get the new version. The new application brings a slew of new features, making it what may be the most useful app on the App Store (be sure to read this post) for our full review. Among the additions are Events, which have frustratingly been omitted from previous versions. Now you’ll be able to look up where your Events are, and you can also respond to them and see which of your friends are attending (for anyone who has ever had to boot up the web version of the site just to look up an Event address, this is a big deal. You can also post video directly to the site if you have an iPhone 3GS — a feature that will likely see the number of videos on Facebook increase dramatically.

TwiXtreme by Xtreme Labs, Another Free Client For Twitter
    For all you twitter addicts out there, another Twitter app has been released called TwiXtreme. I gave it a try and it is one of the nicer ones I've tried. I'm still hooked on SocialScope but this may stay on my BB for a while as a backup. It's got a nice looking UI and plenty of features, not perfect, but none of them are. I still have not found the one perfect app that has everything I want. Here is more about the app from their site: "Tired of boring Twitter™ clients for the BlackBerry?

Unsynced Media Player
    I've been a huge fan of this program since it first came out months ago and with 2.0 released just a few days ago, it's become even better. If you're unaware of the application, Unsynced Music Player is a 3rd-party audio player for BlackBerry's, but it is a major upgrade in terms of functionality over the stock player from RIM. Unsynced features album art, easy playlist creation, media hotkeys, new file scan, color skinning, and song previews rolled into a user-friendly interface. Browse through your music collection by title, artist, or album.

A Teenager’s Dream: An iPhone App for Free Texting
    A recently released app that offers free text messages on the iPhone is welcome news to parents of teenagers upset over the cellphone bills of their hypertexting children. But can it be a sustainable business? TextPlus is an iPhone application that offers unlimited free text messaging from iPhones or iPod Touches and includes group text messaging. It is the first app from Gogii, a start-up backed by $5.2 million from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers’ iFund, which invests in firms making iPhone applications.
    IPhone or iPod Touch users can download the app free from the iPhone app store. Then they can send as many text messages as they want to other phones that use any carrier. TextPlus pays the text messaging bill to AT&T in exchange for showing ads to its users. (Though the iPod Touch does not have cellphone capability, textPlus users can send texts from the device over the Web and Gogii converts them and delivers them to the recipients.)

Stern Fans Rejoice: Sirius XM SkyDock for iPhone
    Sirius XM (SIRI) debuted the first-ever radio dock for the iPhone and iPod touch.
    Dubbed SkyDock, the $119.99 peripheral uses iPhone OS 3’s support for third-party hardware to transform Apple (AAPL) handsets into full-fledged satellite radios. Designed to run off a car’s cigarette power adapter, the SkyDock charges your iPhone while you listen to it. It works in concert with the the Sirius/XM iPhone app and supports the ability to tag songs for download from iTunes.

Spotify Approved For App Store
    Spotify, the popular streaming music service received approval Friday to join the 65,000+ apps on Apple's App Store. The site, paidContent UK received an official announcement from Apple's spokesperson saying, "The current status as of right now is it’s been approved and we hope to add the app to the more than 65,000 apps on the app store very soon. We’ve been in constant communication working with the developer and have already notified Spotify that the app will be in the app store very soon.” This came as a rather large surprise considering many have said that the service could be a serious rival for Apple's own iTunes.

First augmented reality app hits the iPhone app store
    The first augmented reality app is now available on the iTunes App Store for only 99 cents. The app in question is called Metro Paris Subway and as you’d imagine, it shows bus and subway routes, locates nearby travel stations, and even highlights points of interest along the way, such as restaurants and hotels. But because augmented reality apps require GPS and a digital compass, the app is only available for iPhone 3GS owners. In case you’re un-familiar with the term, “augmented reality” apps refer to programs which are able to merge real time video with overlaying and corresponding computer generated information. For example, imagine looking at the Statue of Liberty through your iPhone - with augmented reality, the phone will recognize the landmark you’re looking at (via GPS and the digital compass in the iPhone 3GS) and will display pertinent and interesting information about lady liberty. Check out a video of the augmented reality enabled Metro Paris Subway app in action. YouTube Demo Link

Mobile software helps student drop 50 pounds loss programs abound, but they can be complex and expensive and must be followed to a T. Michael Schneider said the process became easier -- and less expensive -- for him when he used a Blackberry Curve smartphone running a customized weight loss application from Sensei Inc. that provided information on proper diet and exercise in real time as he needed it.

Google Apps For BES

First announced back in May, Google has officially gone live with their Google Apps integration with RIM's BlackBerry Enterprise Server. For companies looking to keep their offices truely mobile and keep employees on the same page, this could help tremendously. It allows users to access GMail, Google Calendar and Contacts, using the built-in BlackBerry functions they've grown accustomed to without the need for a separate application.

PinStacker Reviews

Review: iSkin for the BlackBerry + Giveaway!
    I have done reviews for quite a few accessories, including skins, pouches and leather holster/cases. While wanting to give your beloved BlackBerry every bit of protection it needs from drops & scrapes, you don't ever want to add the extra bulkiness. The OEM BlackBerry skins are nice, and take it from me, they protect pretty good, but if you are looking for the ultimate protection in a skin, you should look no further than iSkin.

I had a couple of extra skins sent to me, thanks to iSkin, and held a quick contest giveaway. All you had to do was comment in the thread for a chance to win TWO iSkins for your Storm.

The lucky winner is jdow2405! Congrats!!

PScast: Episode 25 ... BlackBerry browser getting a real makeover?

This episode includes:
    WIR recap; Smartphone Discussions
    Site Announcements (Top Posters Contest)

Episode 25
    standard bitrate (30mb) -- don't forget accessible on your Berry thru Opera Mini
    lowest bitrate (15mb) -- accessible through default BlackBerry browser

Link to add feed to Podcast

Listen on iTunes (if you are subscribed to the podcast, then it will update in iTunes automatically)

Have a GREAT week!! Keep on 'Stackin!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Thanks as always for all the hard work. This has been a lifesaver for me lately.