I hope the new year has found everyone in good health (aside from certain addictions ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

Smile PinStack Week in Review: CES Coverage, New Device Launches & More!

I hope the new year has found everyone in good health (aside from certain addictions ), ready for what is certain to be a year never forgotten. In just a little over a week, the US will inaugurate in its first black President .. HISTORY in the making! With rumors floating around every where, there are sure to be some surprises in the coming months in the world of smartphones. Be sure to stay tuned to PinStack for all the latest smartphone news & rumors.

BlackBerry News & Rumors
    SYS-CON Webcast: BlackBerry On Demand Technical Seminar
    Twitstat Study: BlackBerry Users Are Totally Addicted To Twitter
    RIM Co-CEO's Named Among Canada's Highest Paid Executives
    BlackBerry Bold Coming to Sprint This Quarter
    It has finally arrived! AT&T 4.5 for 8300, 8100, 8800
    T-Mobile USA to Offer Thinnest & Lightest Full-QWERTY BlackBerry 8900 Curve

Iphone News & Rumors
    The iPhone 3G Unlock Chart: Will Your Carrier Work?
    iPhone 3G Carrier Unlock Released and Working Fine

Google Android News & Rumors
    China Mobile to launch 3G phone on android platform
    Android tattoo girl
    How to unlock your Google Android G1 smartphone

Palm News & Rumors
    EngadgetMobile gives you: Palm Pre / webOS launch roundup

Other News & Rumors
    AT&T Downgrades 2G Service
    TMO launches the G1 YouTube channel.

LIVE CES Coverage
    CES: Smartphones To Take Center Stage
    AT&T-branded BlackBerry Curve 8900 spoted at CES
    CES: Slacker Mobile for BlackBerry and FlyCast for Google Android
    CES: Skype Lite landing on Android phone, others too
    CES: Hoover’s Mobile Goes Live at CES 2009 - BlackBerry & iPhone service!
    CES: Boingo Launching New Mobile Site For Wi-Fi Ready Mobile Devices!
    CES: Wilson Electronics launch New iBooster Amps for iPhone & BlackBerry
    CES: Palm Unveils iPhone Competitor, the Pre!
    CES: HTC Brings the S740 Smartphone To the U.S.!

Smartphone Applications
    HipVoice (sorta) Brings Push To Talk to BlackBerry, WinMobile & iPhone Soon
    HipVoice supports Windows Mobile, Motorola/Symbol devices and other platforms, mainly through OEMs and costs as little as $10 a month. The BlackBerry support launched a few days ago and the company is finalizing support for Symbian handsets soon. Additionally, the plans include HipVoice on Apple and Android devices. HipVoice might not be PTT as we’ve known it, but perhaps it’s the natural evolution of PTT.

Twitstat Study: BlackBerry Users Are Totally Addicted To Twitter
    Twitstat, an analytics site for Twitter, has just put together a dynamic listing of the most popular Twitter clients based on the number of Tweets sent per user - in other words, it lets us see which client has the most addicted Twitter users. Looking at the the top 10 clients (which are less likely to have data skewed by a few heavy users), the top spot with an average of 3.68 tweets per user goes to TwitterBerry, the Twitter client for BlackBerry phones (not surprising, given how notoriously addictive BlackBerries are). FriendFeed comes in at a close second with 3.55 tweets per user, followed by TweetDeck. Note: These figures will change over time, as the list is dynamically updated.

ShapeWriter Publishes Software on Multiple Mobile and PC Platforms
    ShapeWriter Inc has launched its revolutionary text entry products on Windows Mobile, Android, and Windows XP/Vista. The company also simultaneously announced major upgrades to its popular WritingPad 1.0 software on iPhone. Now called ShapeWriter 2.0, this enhanced version is available at the Apple iTunes App Store.

Quickoffice Unveils Industry First Editable Office Application for iPhone
    Quickoffice, Inc., the leading global provider of mobile office productivity software, today announced the release of MobileFiles Pro, the first application to include editable Office functionality for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The latest upgrade brings comprehensive editing and saving of Microsoft Office Excel files in the .xls format, Wi-Fi file transfer to and from a desktop (Mac and PC), and the ability to access and synchronize with Apple MobileMe accounts.

Got Voice? Voicemail on your mobile
    Checking voicemail on your mobile, home and work phones can be time-consuming and aggravating. Sometimes you’re stuck in a meeting or just don’t have time to dial in to hear all of the messages. With GotVoice, all of your voicemail gets converted and sent as text, so you get the message at a glance. Read your voicemail on your cell phone, Read it as text and Listen to it as MP3/WAV audio in your email, Read it and Listen to it at at any time, Add your Cell phone, Home phone, Office/PBX phone or VoIP phone to your account, and read all of your voicemail in email or on your phone instantly.

TalkLock (BETA) Touch Screen Lock for the Blackberry Storm
    Are you annoyed by the BlackBerry Storm touch screen remaining active during a call? Frustrated with accidental screen presses activating programs while you talk? CellAvant has the answer... TalkLock. This free utility automatically engages a few seconds after a call is connected, and intercepts touch screen actions. This prevents screen presses from launching programs or invoking functions while you talk. When the call ends for any reason, TalkLock releases control of the screen until your next call. You can also disable the lock and return to your normal phone behavior at any time by swiping your finger across the screen from left to right.

G1 users: Visa Mobile is available now for select Chase Visa cardholders
    Visa Mobile is a set of applications developed for the Android platform. This program initially delivers three services (Alerts, Offers, and Locator) that make your life easier, improve your ability to manage and protect your Visa cards, and get valuable offers from merchants. Visa mobile services developed for the Android platform include: Alerts: You receive near-real-time notification of purchase activity based on customized preferences. You can personalize the types of alerts delivered to your mobile device, such as the size of the transaction, or whether the transaction is in foreign currency. Offers: You receive offers from merchants directly to your mobile phone. These offers range from discounts to loyalty offers. Locator: The Locator service is integrated with technology developed by Google, such as Google Maps and Google location-based services, to show you nearby locations of merchants sending offers, or of an ATM that accepts Visa. The location is called out on a map displayed on the mobile phone's screen.

Getting directions to businesses now easier on Google Maps for mobile
    If you've already got Google Maps on your BlackBerry, Nokia S60, T-Mobile G1, iPhone, or other smartphone, then you don't have to download anything to start using the new feature described below. Today Google launched a server-side change that makes it easier to get directions to businesses. You can now get directions to restaurants, stores, and other points of interest by entering their names in the start or end point. Until today, if you tried to get directions and entered a business name, "starbucks" for example, as the end or start point, Google Maps for mobile did not understand that you meant Starbucks the business. Rather, Google Maps for mobile would search for an address with "starbucks" in it.

Microsoft releases TagReader for iPhone
    Microsoft released their second iPhone app, TagReader [iTunes link], today. Simply point your iPhone's camera at a Microsoft Tag and instantly you find out new information, such as a URL or some description text. Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it? You could be at a grocery store, see some interesting product, and scan its tag to find recipes that use it. Or, as Microsoft's own site points out, you could put a barcode on a house for sale and scan that to download the listing. Or to pick out shoes that match with your current outfit—okay, maybe not that one.

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone announced
    Six months after announcing its intention to bring SlingPlayer to the iPhone 3G, Sling Media has another announcement to make--just not the one you're wishing for. SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone isn't ready yet, Sling said on Tuesday, but it is on its way. Like SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Mobile, Palm, Symbian, UIQ, and BlackBerry (beta) platforms, this iPhone version will let you access one or more Slingboxes from your mobile device, and watch your TV stations on-the-go.

New TapOMania game for Storm released
    TapOMania is an outstanding game of strategy and logic. Your goal is to remove all the blocks from the screen. Difficulty levels, Sound effects, High Scores, Start at a given level, Set your own background picture

CSR and Unify4Life collaborate to bring a universal remote control App
    DeviceAnywhere Extends Google Android G1 Handset Access to Developers
    Inventor of T9 input method develops new touchscreen Input System (Swype)
    New iPhone App Makes Sharing Digital Photos Easier
    Soonr launches killer document sync for iPhone
    QuickPlay Media Powering Live, On-Demand Content for Bell Mobility on Storm
    BeeJiveIM 2.0 For iPhone to launch tomorrow
    PocketDay Start! Released

PinStacker Reviews

Review: Berryware Custom Painted Cases for BlackBerry! by Lavagirl

Product Name: Berryware Custom BlackBerry Housing for 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330 Curve
    Coming soon for BlackBerry Bold!
    Price: $69.99 + shipping. FIRST 50 PinStack Members who order and enter coupon code PINSTACK
    at checkout will receive $20.00 off of their order total!!

Reviewer: Lavagirl

What is Berryware about? The idea evolved many years ago after Berryware's founder - Aaron had read a blog from a guy who had painted his BlackBerry at his local body shop to match his Ferrari. The result was a really sweet looking berry, but the price tag was a whopping $200! Aaron knew he could develop a product that was better in quality, in a wide range of colors and at an affordable price. He started with a simple blog to guage interest from the community, however with very little resources or time to back it up, the blog sat on the sidelines collecting feedback for many years until the resources and opportunity was finally available to launch Berryware.

Yep, you read it right. The first 1,000 PinStack users get a 30-day FREE trial from GotVoice! What are you waiting for?? You've got nothing to lose! From GotVoice:
    "GotVoice is proud to partner with PinStack in offering our business-class quality Voicemail-to-Text service for all types of Smartphones", said Colin Lamont, Vice President of Marketing for GotVoice. "As PinStack broadens their scope of influence to address all major smartphone brands, an area already addressed by our Voicemail-to-Text service, we wanted to congratulate them and extend our first ever 30-day exclusive free trial offer to PinStack's first 1,000 users. We see this collaboration as highly complementary and a natural fit, unleashing the ease of communications for busy professionals who are members of the pre-eminent Smartphone resource site."
    Have a GREAT weekend!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    Wow that was a FULL week! I think I'll drive down to CES tomorrow. I think I cover more online but will be good to experience the buzz in person.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Boy, just about to finish work and this is so much, think I'm just gonna wait until my day off (Sunday) to tackle all of this... Thanks Cherri for the FULL Week In Review.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (
    Wow. What's a week. So much to catch up on. Thanks as always for your hard work Cherri and providing us all this news in a recap.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Wow what a week I think I wore out my trackball scrolling through it all. Thanks as always cherri for keeping us up to date with your awesome Week in Review.~via BB (

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    what a busy week, I will be playing catch up all weekend!

Carpe Diem!!

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for the round-up, lots of coolness this week. I think my faves this week are the new Slacker radio app and the update to google maps. That Berryware purple casing looks so nice, but ya, I'm still too chicken to take apart my BB.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    Holy WOW!! That's just too much to catch up on. I feel like I'm back in college trying to cram all this reading in one sitting. Very nice W.I.R. Cherrichiodo
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?