Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy New Year!! I don't know about ya'll, but I can't believe it's already 2009! ... Week In Review forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PinStack Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Advertisement

Happy New Year!! I don't know about ya'll, but I can't believe it's already 2009! Time seems to fly by so fast you barely even notice. This year proves to be very exciting in the smartphone world. As many of you may have noticed, PinStack has taken the initiative to support the ever changing mobile world. No longer just BlackBerry, we now have support forums for all mobile platforms, including iphone, google android and windows mobile. I know, changes are hard to take in sometimes, but as cliche as it may sound, change is inevitable. Thanks Hayden for making this the BEST site for geeks like us

Smartphones in the News
    BlackBerry
    RIM patent for a Pearl style BB with a fold out SureType keypad.(?!?)
    Verizon BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Selling for $20 After Rebate
    Orange may pull Bold...forever
    Google Android
    Samsung to Join the Android Market in 2009
    Android Phones Coming From Sony Ericsson and Toshiba
    Openmoko FreeRunner Android in Blurry Spy-Shot Shocker (Ugly)
    Garmin Confirms Android Handset
    Open source fanatics - Android running Python
    Apple Iphone
    iPhone 3G Confirmed At Wal Mart
    New iPhone Nano in the works? Case maker pours more fuel on rumor
    Watch Out Wal-Mart; AT&T Offers $99 iPhone
    Great article about the SUPPOSED upcoming iPhone Nano
    Windows Mobile
    T-Mobile Dash smartphone now available in black $99

Applications & Accessories
    New Picture Puzzle beta for Storm
    Rearrange a randomly mixed picture puzzle back together. Use your own pictures in main memory or on the SD card to use in the puzzle. Option to use small or large puzzle. Cheat mode to show you where each puzzle block goes.

Seidio Releases New "Innocase Surface" Cases for the BlackBerry Storm
    The unique Innocase Surface and Innocase Surface II are only 1mm thick and provides a strong layer of protection and excellent grip for your Storm. 1mm thin case provides scratch protection without adding much bulk. Designed from a hard, yet flexible material. Unique soft-touch "rubberized" texture provides a great feel and better grip. Soft felt lining offers interior protection. Slip it into your pocket or pair it with one of our Innocase holsters or leather cases. Add their Ultimate Screen Guard for total device protection. Innocase II design offers alternative styling from their original Innocase

Voice-Activate Your iPhone with Vlingo
    Vlingo for the Apple iPhone is a new application, available free-of-charge, that uses vlingo's voice-powered interface to eliminate the need for typing. Initiate calls to anyone in your address book. Search for anything through Yahoo! or Google in one step. Look up and map local listings. Update Facebook and Twitter status updates without typing.

Vaja Cases .. for the BlackBerry Storm
    While checking out the Vaja site today (thanks hayden, as if I need to spend more money), I noticed that they have cases available for the Storm now. They have two cases available now, the Classic Pocket and the Balance, while the last one, ivolution is not. You can, however, put yourself on the mailing list to be alerted when the ivolution is available If you are looking for the best case for your Berry, Vaja is the place to buy. You can pick from over 10 different colors of leather and even have the back personalized with your name or company logo. (customization adds to delivery time)

Windows Mobile: Limited Beta Open for Flexilis Mobile Security (Beta 3)
    Flexilis Beta Release 3 for Windows Mobile is now out and ready for download. Notable changes include: Added compatability for WiFi networks running WPA, Improved application display on devices with square screens, Fixed multiple issues with displaying the home screen plugin, Over 20 bug fixes on the mobile client

more in applications/accessories
    Smartphone Provider Handango Partners with Digital Chocolate, I-Play
    SlingPlayer Mobile beta for BlackBerry now available to try
    Mozilla updates its Fennec mobile browser alpha 2
    Google Explains it's Hidden iPhone App Menu
    iPhone hacked to work with standard Bluetooth keyboard
    RemoteDroid app turns your G1 into a wireless keyboard and mouse
    New Google Store Will Help Android Developers Earn Cash
    10 ways Apple can make the iPhone a killer business device
    Tmo To Mail Extended Batteries To G1 Users
    Gizmodo's 10 Best Android Apps of 2008

Other News Features
    iPhone 3G Soft Unlock Coming Tonight
    Wanna "Try" Before You Buy???
    What to watch for from Microsoft at CES
    Winter Storm Causes Major AT&T Outages
    Are Android, Chrome-Flavored Netbooks on Tap for Google?
    RIM Sues Motorola Over Employee Hiring

PinStacker Reviews

REVIEW: AT&T Fuze / HTC Touch Pro by mjwood0
    Verdict: Overall, very nice phone with a few productivity issues
    Pros: Beautiful screen, tons of third party support
    Cons: Not as productive for me
    URL: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=HTC+FUZE(TM)&q_sku=sku3090226
    Price: $249 w/ two year agreement
    Overall rating: Casual User: 4 out of 5. Business User: 2 out of 5. (Explained in the Conclusion section below)

Background
    I'll be the first to admit, I loved my Blackberry Curve 8310. It did everything I absolutely needed it to do but was missing a few "cool" features such as WiFi and 3G. However, my local area didn't yet have 3G and well, I figured WiFi wasn't absolutely necessary -- so I continued to delay upgrading. Finally, AT&T flipped the switch on the local 3G network and I had a week off around Christmas, so I decided it was time to pull the trigger on a new smartphone figuring I'd have a week to get things setup before I returned to work.

read rest of review

PinStack Contests!

Reply to Enter: Cross platform, Multi-Software Giveaway for your Smartphone
    Thanks to Electric Pocket, SplashData and DDH Software, we are giving away 24 software applications for your Smartphone! This contest is open to all BlackBerry, iPhone, WM and Palm users!

To enter simply post a reply to the thread above and list 3 (three) applications from the list provided that you'd like to install!

Stay tuned to PinStack for another upcoming contest where 1000 prizes will be given away!

Well, that does it for this week! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy new year!

For those attending the MacWorld Expo/Conference in San Francisco next week, PM me so we can hook up for some coffee

Have a GREAT weekend!

c2

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks been a great year for our community! Lots of great stuff to come.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Great round-up. I can't wait to sit down and see what I missed this week. It's been a very full and busy week here on the stacks. I'm looking forward to another great year

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Fantastic job, once again, on summarizing the week Cherri. I know this is alot of work with the new platforms now, (which I love by the way!).

Thanks!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Thank you cherri for another great WIR. Can't wait to see how much more information we all gain with the new format of the site. 2009 is off to a great start.

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Question??? There's no more themes on pinstack???~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Themes are still here:

http://forums.pinstack.com/f177/

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I love the Week in Review. It helps me stay connected and current. I can't always stop by long enough to read everything.

Great Job!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I love the Week in Review too, Cherri. Thanks for doing it. I can go through it and get things I sometimes miss and review the others again. Great job!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks Cheri for the "Week in Review" I'll have to check it all out during my overnight shift tonight.

aaronnieves no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305F72EB
    Great WIR as always, Cherri! I must admit that I do miss the mainly Blackberry pinstack.

Last edited by aaronnieves; 01-04-2009 at 07:27 PM.

macmood no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Themes are still here:

http://forums.pinstack.com/f177/
    A dead link, 2009 off to a good start after all :-(

Still a process of change. Things were moved yesterday.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f30/

Flyerguy no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm rather disappointed that Pinstack now has other mobile phone information and threads. I was VERY pleased with Blackberry only info. I relate it to buying a magazine with lots of advertising. I guess I'll have to go elsewhere now for my Bold info since now it'll be harder to find.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    flyerguy, sorry you feel that way the information is at the top of the forum link, simply click BlackBerry Smartphones and you are in the BlackBerry ONLY forum. don't give up on us so easily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast