Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Yes, but what about apps? If he doesn't have a PC, I'm assuming he has ... General Smartphones forum

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

Advertisement

Yes, but what about apps? If he doesn't have a PC, I'm assuming he has no DSL or router. The majority if not all files in the app store require wifi to download. Not sure about working around that, unless he went somewhere with wifi and did his downloading.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Yes, but what about apps? If he doesn't have a PC, I'm assuming he has no DSL or router. The majority if not all files in the app store require wifi to download. Not sure about working around that, unless he went somewhere with wifi and did his downloading.
    Now that is important. I have access to wifi but not on a regular basis.
    I'm familiar with the hardware KTW. The last experience I had with the os though was with an ipad. We didn't spend too much time with it and I didn't use it as I use my phone. I also owned an original iPhone at launch.
    chokem likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm with Glenn. Bottom line is you have to have full access to iTunes. Apps, music, movies, pictures, podcasts, you name it... If you don't have iTunes working with iOS you're crippled at birth. And access to WiFi is a must if you plan to download. The downloads are usually very heavy on data plans, unless you have unlimited and unrestricted plans, totally.
    Using Sugarsync or DropBox, and the like is an option, but it's a work around, a tedious and time consuming affair.
    iCloud is better. And again it's better if used with a PC as well.
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-02-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
    chokem likes this.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Well said King Del.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Well I explored it. Seems I am better suited with Android.
    I remember the first being so dependent on iTunes, didn't realize the appstore issues.

I can't be tied to a pc like that. I will have to get one later next year once the ministry thing begins, but I don't think I want my device to be pc dependent.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    All misguided, wow. Tell me again why you need a pc in order to own an iPhone? Totally not true.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    ^^^ How 'bout you tell us why we DON'T need a PC in order to use an iPhone?

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    All misguided, wow. Tell me again why you need a pc in order to own an iPhone? Totally not true.
    May not need a PC, but sure need wifi if yo want to download apps. Am I missing something?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I think it should be the other way around since from the first moment you turn on an iPhone a PC is not needed in order to do anything.
    iTunes was demoted last year to nothing more than another tool to help manage the device if you have a PC and prefer that still.

I know several people who don't own a pc and own an iPad or iPhone or both. Having WiFi in the home is a big advantage when backing up or downloading but that is not really part of that "need a pc? idea.

The only thing you need a PC for would be to Jailbreak the device and for a short time you did not even need that you could do it right from the phone. (not sure that site still works with current builds?)
    Last edited by srl7741; 05-02-2012 at 12:03 PM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Agreed Steve. And I also know people that have BB's without the required BIS plan. The phone works but it's not a BB. Same as iPhone - if you can't have access to iTunes, you can work around it but its always minimal satisfaction. Why have it if you can't realize it's full potential? Rather have Android, Symbian or Bada . At least with these you can download music, without any help from a PC. What alternative does an iPhone give you as a player ? None. With Android there are a myriad of apps that substitute the stock player, and you can download at hearts content.
    Since Jay has no PC why must he tie himself to a 20 months contract to have a semi iPhone?

I have a pc. Just old as dirt and relies on phone for internet.
    I use my phone as I would a pc. I download needed files, print from it, music, internet. I have used the pc once in the past few months to Odin a file to the phone. Now with mobile odin I don't need even that unless emergency.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Download 3G Unrestrictor after you jailbreak. This app tricks the device into thinking that it's on wifi when your your using 3G. You can download any app of any file size you wish. This also works for any other app that needs wifi.

I download all my music from other sources and lately I've been using spotify. I haven hooked my phone to iTunes in months. OTA updates and backups to the cloud leaves iTunes a forgotten component to the iPhone experience.

Try it Cooley, you can always take it back if it doesn't work out.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Cap that's Jb stuff. Do you think Jay, if he acquires one now, will be able to Jailbreak it? With 5.1?
    The real question though is why do you need to jb it to realize a little more independence from Apple's clutches? I love iPhone and I'm using one right now, but just to think I need to jb it to give me some alternatives makes me want to switch it off and install my SIM card on the Droid. Any droid...

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not sure I'm content with what can and can't be done minus a PC. iTunes is iTunes is iTunes and it does not matter if it's on an iPhone or iPad or a PC. Remove the PC and PC with iTunes, your not limited in anything.

A PC has absolutely nothing to do with the experience of an iOS device.

PIN/ID
    nada
    I've jailbroken an iPhone not even using a PC. I'm not sure if it's still valid, but I jailbroke via wifi at jailbreakme.com on the second i4 I had. Good points Steve, I see what you mean.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast