Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

OK, I have an upgrade coming up. Whenever I spend money I have to look ... General Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Why would I want an iPhone?

Advertisement

OK, I have an upgrade coming up. Whenever I spend money I have to look at all the angles. This upgrade will be for 20 months. I want to be sure the device I end up with is going to keep me happy for the contract period.

So you know my current choice. On the Android side I have the GNex and S3 as choices. I know Android well and know what they will offer. What I want to know is what would iOS offer? I need your honest experiences for this.

Hardware is/isn't an issue. It is but the biggest issue is going to be everyday use. Would a tweak geek be able to settle down with a mostly locked OS? Are there benefits beyond what I am used to that make switching really something to consider?

I honestly am not a fan of Apple and some of their recent lawsuits. However, I feel like I should at least consider an iPhone.

I appreciate any discussion that arises, and hope it will be candid.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It would be nice to know what the IPhone 5 will be like, will it have a bigger screen, faster processor, better battery life etc? From the phones I have played with up till now I definitely felt that the responsiveness of the screen and touch screen keyboard was the best I had tried. There is always a jailbreak coming out so you have more freedom. I love the feel of the IPhone, some of the apps work really well (big problem though is trying to find the best one for the job because there are so many). I believe that it is also easy to develop your own software for the IPhone.

On the negative side as the phone does not have any stress points if you are to drop it the first thing to break is the screen. As you say you do have to Jail break it if you want to move outside of the control by IOS, and Apple is trying very hard to stop the JB'ing. Due to the control it is unlikely that the fastest processor will be in the next generation as they want to ensure that everything works, Apple does seem to be one step down from the latest release just to ensure that all the parts work together well, which is probably a good thing. Storage space - normally limited to 64Gb with no option to add a micro-SD card. For me this is a killer as I could not replace my IPod. I know there are comments that you can use a WiFi disk or use Icloud but you cannot do this on a plane and Icloud data downloads would be exceedingly expensive when traveling/roaming

Don't forget to consider BB10
    jfcooley likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well Jay, you are stating to become like moi...

Wait for the SIII. That's all that will be exciting for Android this year.

iOS iPhone (5 or in my opinion 6, or no number at all) will be October 2012. Quite a wait yet... but if your contract will last for 20 months, I would wait.
    But you must first accept the fact that you'll be iTuned. Jailbreak ? Yes it's an option, but you will still be iTuned. It's not like a rooted Android. It's JB´d and that's it. You can play with themes, colors, icons, some apps that are worthwhile, but that's it. And when you flip through the home screens, well you'll flip through the home screens. Exciting...There are also very positive things with iOS. It's a no-brainer ecosystem. It does what it does, easily, and most of the time quite well.
    As long as you're iTuned.

But it would be an interesting step for you - I consider it a side-step. The excitement will last about a week...

And now, Jay, I'll wait for Capdot...

Well I am waiting on the S3.
    Want to at least consider an iPhone, and I'm leaving hardware out of it for now.

Had forgotten about being locked to iTunes.

Jailbroken, can I dl music or anything and install through the device?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I might sound contrived, bit let the jb folk answer that...I'm interested in knowing as well.
    What I do is copy my PC music into iTunes and then sync it to the phone. Maybe there's another way. Or ifcI buy music on iTunes via the phone then it also appears in my iTunes library.

I do everything with the phone. Only time I have needed the computer is when fixing root (bowled an install one night) and when I went from a 16gb to 32gb ad card.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    From one of my posts back in March-

Ease of operation. IOS 5.0.1 is extremely smooth, even with the jailbreak. I must add that the JB for this is the smoothest, least problematic JB I ever had on an iOS device. The picture resolution is the best I've ever seen, the camera is the best I've seen, the mp3 player is the best I've heard. No freeze ups ever, very very few dropped calls. The battery life is very good, not as good as a Berry, but still very good. The browser is faster than any device I've owned. I did like the customization capabilities of the HTC Android I had, but I can achieve this too with the JB. I like the quality of Apples products, their resale value is unparalleled in the industry. About the only thing I don't care for is iTunes, and I've gotten used to it and work around it when I need to. All things considered, I believe this to be the best smartphone out there, for me, it just works and works very well.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

What about native file browsing and installing books/music on the go? Forget about customizing the ui at this point.

I usually get files as I go and store word/excel docs on device. Music isn't downloaded via pc because our only internet connection is through the devices.

PIN/ID
    nada
    The iPhone is not for you. If you don't have a PC it would be difficult if not impossible to use it at its full potential. ITunes is what it is.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Well I guess that is that then. Thanks.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Besides, who would I argue with about which platform is better if you went iOS?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Good point.
    I just thought that I could be wrong, maybe iOS would be better for me. Well, I'd give it a try at least.

I guess ill focus on which Samsung now.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    But......you never know if the next iteration will or won't be so tied into iTunes.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Jay have you ever played with an iPhone ? I have and often it runs smoother and more responsive than a gs2.

And don't worry about Chokem, I could argue about platforms with him for years (androids) The better one just to.be clear but an iPhone does run much smoother and responsive at times.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Couldn't you use Box.net or ICloud to move files without ITunes like I did with the Ipad?
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast