Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As the title says, for some time now I've been wondering where has my RIM ... General Smartphones forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Where's My RIM?

Advertisement

As the title says, for some time now I've been wondering where has my RIM gone? It used to be when a person mentioned a smartphone or the word smartphone was used I would think of a RIM product and possibly a WMo device. I used to smile and pull out one of many different RIM products I had and begin to show just how useful the Blackberry could be.
    Some would say "I don't need all that" or "I'm not a business person" so I don't need all those features. I would then focus their attention to everything BUT email and the calendar. They quickly understood how useful the Blackberry was and often made the leap and were happy they did.

Today when someone mentions a smartphone or asks about a smartphone i don't even THINK about a RIM product.
    I normally ask the person a few simple questions starting with, what will you use the phone for? (besides a telephone).
    How the question "What will you use the phone for" has changed is another interesting topic for another day

Here are many of the replies:
    1. Email (home and work)
    2. Web Browsing
    3. Social Networking
    4. Multimedia consumption (pictures, videos)
    5. PDA

How can I honestly mention a RIM product when all over the place (TV, News paper Ads, Web Ads, Magazines etc) we see
    products like HTC's Nexus 1, Desire, Mini, Legend or Motorola's Droid & Milestone, Cliq XT not to mention Apple's iPhone, Palm Pre & Pixi
    and numerous WMo devices Like the HD2 (which is one sexy device) AND the Windows Mobile 7 Series. (Not yet released),
    Sony's Ericisson Xperia X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro.

All these devices offer a rich multimedia experience and have more Apps than you can throw a stick at. AND guess what?
    They all do email and have full featured calendars.

Their UI (user interface) for the most part are Touch Driven and offer an easy to use experience full of eye candy.

So I'm left wondering "Where is My RIM"? You know? That Company who makes Blackberry Smartphones?
    I'm struggling with where they fit in the 2010 line up of devices that are offered or will be soon available.
    I'm struggling with the idea that I can't recommend them anymore when I'm asked.

What say you?

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    Where once I would defend Blackberry with all my might, now that just isn't so. I still feel proud to be one of the BlackBerry elite, but now I see that RIM is falling further and further behind with their flagship device. The OS is fast becoming outdated when you consider the Android system and now Bada and Windows Mobile 7, RIM may never play catchup if they don't release a new OS (5.2? 6.0??) Sometime this year. I know RIM is still doing well and that's why they're complacent, but I gotta say you got all this nice eye candy with all these other feature heavy devices. My wife just got the MyTouch 3G (35mm jack of course) and for once I'm the envious one! When she had the Sidekick 3, I had the Pearl. So she got the Pearl and I got the Curve 8320. After having that for a year, she got the 8220 and yet was still envious of my 8320 (I told her to get one but she had to be different. Well she finally started catching on. She got the 8520 and I had the 8900. And while she liked it, she kept hearing me mention getting an Android device. Yet I was too "loyal" to BB and ill admit apprehensive about trying something new. I mean, I still like BlackBerry. But this time she beat me out and I gotta say she made a good choice. Only thing her phone is lacking is flash for the camera. Other than that, the MyTouch works like a gem!! But I digress, srl, I agree with you 100%! While I would like RIM to really wow me with a new device with a new OS to boot, there's just so many other options out there and its gonna get to the point where having a BlackBerry was a thing of the past.
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I agree.

All I'm waiting for is for AT&T to get a good android device and I will be leaving my battery pulling days behind.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I am still hopeful that RIM will step up and bring new life to the BlackBerry.....but until they do.....I'm loving my moto Droid. I had talked several friends and family into getting a BB.....a couple are still happy, but the majority are ready to move on. It makes me sad.....BB was my first smartphone love. :cry:
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yup they will be back. Just a matter of time
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm leaving them in just 2 weeks when I get the T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro 2. Tired of the freezes and battery pulls I have to do.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 02-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I'm leaving them in just 2 weeks when I get either the T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro 2. Tired of the freezes and battery pulls I have to do.
    You will not regret it one second. Push email is no longer a commodity for RIM everyone in their mother offers the same thing. The only thing other smartphones will not have is bbm. I don't miss it at all. Good luck Erica
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I'm leaving them in just 2 weeks when I get either the T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro 2. Tired of the freezes and battery pulls I have to do.
    I am tired of the same thing, constant lags. Many phones are stepping up but I'll have to do my research to find out which one is best for me. The Droids are looking the best right now

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    The iPhone has iMessenger or Ping. It acts the same as BBM for iPhone users. Im sure an app will become available for other platforms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    You will not regret it one second. Push email is no longer a commodity for RIM everyone in their mother offers the same thing. The only thing other smartphones will not have is bbm. I don't miss it at all. Good luck Erica
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Sorry to butt in, looks like I'm the only one here that LIKES BB.
    I admit I'm a BB fan. I'm a professional, I need constant information pushed to me, I need the facility of multi-tasking, I need the ease of writing and correcting data sheets, word documents and some powerpoint. I need to take photos and sometimes videos and send them out, not clipped. I need voice memos and dictaphone functions. I need to quickly obtain answers when I surf the web for information. Amongst other needs, that's my daily routine.
    For fun, I use IM+ to stay in contact with family and friends. I can see a video when I travel on the plane, if I have time, or listen to music.
    Since I'm in Europe I ROAM endlessly and seamlessly with all types of carriers. My battery is good for all this.
    At the end of a normal day my BB has performed faultlessly. I wish I could say the same about me.
    I also have the fortune of being able to try all new smartphones - all HTC models, even before you guys in the USA get wind of them. All Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, Samsung, LG etc. Because I am a partner in a retail smartphone shop ! The only phone my shops don't sell is the BB. Because it's exclusively a Vodafone, TMN and Optimus franchise.
    For all these reasons the BB remains actual and up to date!
    And I, for these reasons, own a BB. I only work well with a BB.
    A BB doesn't waste my precious time !
    I wonder why ?
    Let me now say this: undoubtedly RIM will come out with a OS that will please everyone, or must I say, the majority of serious users.
    The same way they were a beaming light and an innovative concept in the past and all other manufacturers had to adapt their "smartphone" concept, RIM will, shortly, innovate again sending the smartphone market into a frenzy.
    And I repeat myself in a different way:
    RIM launched a paradigm in smartphone building and communication when they started !
    All others are pure imitations and a way around a fantastic concept.
    So, guys, stick around...the fun ride isn´t over yet.
    The opera isn´t over until the fat lady sings!
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-17-2010 at 05:46 AM.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I want a Android powered Blackberry! That would bring me back.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    RIM will, shortly, innovate again
    yup I agree they will be back.

Of note some of the above members who replied ARE Blackberry addicts as well. Each comment represents the views of many. That's why discussions like these are so great we all get to represent differnt views.

Hey if Palm can do it then RIM sure can!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

Antgod no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2148A220
    Since Rim isn't the leader anymore who is? What phone is the new "bb"? Can only have one phone "this is it"?
    " B safe "

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm kind of suprised that more BB owners have not posted their thoughts.

Current Blackberry owners have the most to offer on this topic because they can pass on what has kept them happy and what they think about all the other platforms available.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I've stuck with the BlackBerry platform mainly because, well, I'm a creature of habit and I'm old. Though it's inevitable, change is sometimes hard to adapt to. Old habits die hard. Been using a BlackBerry for going on ten years. I'm sure I could rise to the occasion and switch platforms and frankly, the iPhone 4G might be just the thing to get me to do it, but for now, I am a diehard BlackBerry user.....it's what I know and love and works for me.

As others have stated, though, RIM will most likely step up to the plate. They HAVE to.....no ifs, ands or buts about it. Lazaridis can't continue to spout off about "conserving bandwidth". That's not what we as consumers want or need. RIM needs to learn some lessons from the new technologies coming forth, adapt to what consumers want and not expect us to "settle".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast