Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by btompkins0112 ^^ RIM steadily holds a large share of the market.....just this ... General Smartphones forum

AndroidUser no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by btompkins0112 View Post
    ^^ RIM steadily holds a large share of the market.....just this week they reached the top 5 phone manufacturers in the US!! It comes down to style vs. substance.......RIM does everything well, some OS's do flashy type things that attract the mind of the average user; however those that demand that the device perform well CONSISTENTLY come to RIM for that.
    I agree that RIM does have a very large market share and well they should. They all but invented the category and own the enterprise space. Thus the reason they still have market share. Large corporations do not replace their phones like private individuals do. Nor do they care about anything other than basic functionality as a messaging device. This is where RIM still leads. I know I've had more than my share of BB's. The reason I quit using them is that RIM lost my trust. I bought a 7130c new when released, it was a great phone. The problem was that after just a few months RIM up and replaced it with the tiny Pearl. It's rubbery keyboard and tiny keys are fine for little fingers but not those of an average american male that does a lot of email. So when released I bought a 8300 and it was great, then an 8320 and it was great. Then a Bold 9000, great hardware but crappy OS. Nothing but a joke. The OS crashed, RIM failed to take resonsibility, so one had to waste a lot of time trying different "leaked OS's " to try and find one that was stable. Why did they NOT have this problem on the prior BB's I had. They just worked and were excellent. Then RIM screws the customer again by abandoning the Bold 9000. Once again the true loyalists such as myself were screwed over by RIM as they came out with the "new mini bold". 9700 the same size as a Curve ... what? That's like Cadillac hyping the "New Escalade" and shrinking it by one half! WHO would put up with that? No one and hence they don't do it. But today RIM is all over the place. Cutting corners here and there. 109mm x 60mm is the size of the shell that contains over five models? How cheap is that? A Bold Price for a Curve 109mm x 60mm form factor.. no thank you! No other maker came out with as many handsets in the last 14 months as RIM. What's that about? I think they are hunting for success in the wrong place. After all they've been promising a new browser for well over a year. Hello RIM? it's 2010 and the rest of the world is way ahead. So yes, they might look good from a market share standpoint but it can't last forever. Personally I would enjoy going back, but not until they put their money where their mouth is. Too many promises and no action.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ^^ I agree completely with EVERYTHING you've said......the way that they have been going with the tediously incremental hardware upgrades is unsustainable; however, with the merging of the Tour and Bold lines I see that they may be coming to their senses. I have owned a Bold 9000, and my wife has a Tour 9630 and I think that the new Bold 9650 is of ample dimension to satisfy those who enjoyed the Bold 9000. Also, I suspect that the Bold 9650 will come in CDMA and GSM variants before all is said and done.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...some are idea chasers, others are leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by btompkins0112 View Post
    ^^ I agree completely with EVERYTHING you've said......the way that they have been going with the tediously incremental hardware upgrades is unsustainable; however, with the merging of the Tour and Bold lines I see that they may be coming to their senses. I have owned a Bold 9000, and my wife has a Tour 9630 and I think that the new Bold 9650 is of ample dimension to satisfy those who enjoyed the Bold 9000. Also, I suspect that the Bold 9650 will come in CDMA and GSM variants before all is said and done.
    Unfortunately the Bold 9650 is only 2mm wider than the Mini-Bold 9700. A far cry from the 66mm width of the Original Real Bold 9000. The extra 6mm width of the Real Bold over the Mini Bold, allows a very nice sized keyboard for professionals that use their BlackBerry's for work and the one thing that RIM does right - email.

I used to be able to handle 40 or 50 emails per day when traveling, something that is a miserable task on the Mini bold. The minor increase of two mm, ads only 1mm per side from the center of the keyboard, an amount so small it's not going to make any difference.

If RIM had no plans to keep the Real Original Bold 9000 in the lineup, then why did they lie to us and tell us it was the flagship of the line and then drop it after a measly 11 months?

This is what's wrong with RIM, they choose to be erratic, and unreliable.

Here are some models and sizes:

114 x 66 - 9000 Original BOLD

112 x 62 - 9650, 9550, 9640

109 x 60 - 8520, 8900, 9700 Bold ? !

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...some are idea chasers, others are leaders!
    Yes, and then there is RIM spinning tales.

Archer2 no está en línea Stack level 2

The BlackBerry's Days Are Numbered

It was great while it lasted, but now RIM's days are numbered. In denial and out of touch, their party is over.

http://mobile.computerworld.com/devi...pageNumber%3D1

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, the article is not very objective, is it?

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    I tend to think that millions of BlackBerry users think otherwise. Including myself. I think RIM has a lot of improving to do but you can never really count them out. Besides, if Windows Mobile can hold on RIM can do a lot better.
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    No doubt RIM has a lot to prove to redeem itself as a leader in the industry but to say they're done is a bit of a stretch.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    i wouldnt say RIM is done- yes they have a lot of things that need change, browser, media as an example- but they are not done
    Hopefully with 6.0 coming soon it will change a lot of ppls mind
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I am counting the days...progressively ad infinitum. Geez so much giberish is allowed to be written today...

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Blackberry for life, sorry no iphone for me!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

C.Ambrosio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2581694A
    Wow that article was biased ;/ Ever since I picked up my BB I have been hooked. I have played with other smart phones and even considered going to a iPhone at one point. But I just can't make the switch, something in my gut tells me that the BB is always going to be the way to go
    Chardonnay Luv

Taking one day at a time and becoming the person I know I can be.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    The article is very one sided, pitting an iphone fanboy against comments from a blackberry fanboy. I refuse to be an Android fangirl, but rather an enthusiast. There is no perfect platform, things are changing faster than we can keep up. I loved my BBs for years but I was ready for a change. Now I love my Droid but I am not counting RIM out in the future. There are things that they do very well but there is also room for great improvement. Every platform has areas that it shines in and others where it stinks. I could pick my favorite aspects of each and roll them into one perfect phone........but my idea of perfect is different than someone elses. Who knows what my next phone will be
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    BB is going no where. They are simply sharing some of their market - albeit unwillingly - but its not game over because the market size will double in a few years anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12