Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

to use a cellphone or computer to do internet banking and why ?... General Smartphones forum

KTW Guest

what's safer?

Advertisement

to use a cellphone or computer to do internet banking and why ?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Honestly I still refuse to use either.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Personally I wouldfeel safer on a PC going through a secure modem rather than free Wi-Fi, with a double check on Password of at least 8 characters with various combinations of numbers letters etc, in addition to good antivirus anti mallware software. Basically I feel I can take more precautions on a PC than on a phone, plus phones are easier to lose, people don't password protect them, and often don't logout of websites or clear cookies thus leaving easy pathways for those who want to get into your bank

Things can be safe if you follow all the rules
    lak611 likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i use both...i'm a fool with very little money so the risk is not too great
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I just prefer to walk in. I know, old fashioned. However when the bank dropped the ball and double charged me for a money order, I had a face to put to the screw up. The branch manager was better to deal with in person then some email tech support or phone support.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I use online 99% of the time. I have a local branch that I do business with but haven't stepped foot in there in about 4 months. I use my phone to do deposits and the Mac to do the budget. Everythings set up on auto pay when the bill comes in, so I don't write checks. I never use public wifi so it's no worries. Also, I have email and text alerts set up so any transaction over a certain amount on each account is flagged and sent to me. Biggest thing is I don't use Paypal or EBay. Two easiest ways to get your card number stollen. What I do have is a pre paid credit card that I use to make online purchases. When I purchase something online I transfer money to that card. Never do I use my debit or CC online.

Be smart and you'll be ok.

KTW Guest
    say, without using wifi but just the built in modem of your cellphone, would it not be safer because viruses and mallware are mostly made for computers. I had a friend who got a virus on his phone, all that happened is the phone just said something like: "virus detected" and did nothing. so perhaps just get some outdated phone with outdated software so that it won't be compatible with viruses might be the best option. think about it most viruses and mallware are made for windows computers or popular OS's on cellphones like iOS and Android, perhaps even Black berry 6,7and Symbian. if you were a producer of mallware you would only target the most used platforms,
    it all makes sense. HTC sense 3.0 to be precise. LOL

KTW Guest
    who agrees with me on this one?

KTW Guest
    look at this way: Anti-viruses are only made for things that get viruses. Have a look at how many Anti-Viruses are on sale for computers. Now look how many are available for cellphones such as Android or Symbian. Now look at how many are available for much less used and old platforms, I don't remember seeing a single one. I only saw Norton and it was for Android. Kaspersky I saw also which is available only for all new and popular platforms. but even with just 2 anti-viruses, look at how many are available for a windows or MAC computer. I think about...27 world wide if not more.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    BlackBerry is one of the safest devices out there, but I still have SmrtGuard on it.

KTW Guest

Smile

"Why Your BlackBerry May Be Buggy" I have never had a "buggy" BlackBerry. Currently there is a thread actively growing in the Bold 9780 Forum (click on "Forum" above) where it is becoming evident that many people have buggy RIM products, and I may have just been lucky. Here is a very interesting article written by Jonathan Geller at BGR that may shed some light on what the issue, or part of the issue, may be: Launching new products is always difficult. Launching new products with hundreds of different carriers is exponentially more difficult. Apparently there is an easy way and a hard way to do things, however, and RIM has been making carriers offers they can�t refuse. BGR has learned from a trusted source that RIM has been strong-arming several carriers, essentially forcing them to approve devices they normally would not move through the Technical Acceptance phase. Here is how it works: once an OS software build (bundle) has been tested internally at RIM, and the OS performs well, it moves up to be a Technical Acceptance candidate. The OS is then sent to the carrier to test and approve, or test and reject. If a carrier rejects a build, it can take weeks to get a new build tested and approved, and it can slow down a device�s release by months � as evidenced many times with different BlackBerry products in the past. What�s the problem, then? We have been informed by a very reliable source at a major carrier that RIM has been putting an enormous amount of pressure on carriers to approve the upcoming BlackBerry smartphones like the BlackBerry Bold 9900 � phones that have to hold RIM over until its next-generation platform launch in 2012 � and that certain carriers will be approving the devices, �no matter what � with bugs and problems.� Additionally, RIM is putting huge pressure on its internal engineers to deliver Technical Acceptance bundles even when there are serious problems with the OS. In short, RIM is pushing unfinished OS builds from its engineers to the carriers, and demanding that the carriers approve them. The thing is, this isn�t something new, and it�s part of the reason your BlackBerry is so buggy, reboots randomly, and there are possible signal and connection issues. There have been multiple devices, we have been told, that have been forced through the Technical Acceptance process with multiple carriers, and it�s one of the reasons some carriers launch devices sooner than others (barring any exclusivity arrangements) � some play ball but others won�t. Remember how Rogers was one of the first carriers to launch the BlackBerry Bold 9000 while AT&T didn�t launch the device until November? The device constantly failed Technical Acceptance on AT&T, but Rogers pushed the device out anyway as a result of pressure from RIM. And Rogers is most certainly not the only carrier that has found itself in that position. Spokespeople from RIM and Rogers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An AT&T spokesperson declined to comment. markstone@pin stack.com
    how can it be the safest device or has Black berry improved ?
    Last edited by KTW; 11-08-2011 at 11:22 AM.