Can anyone tell me what definitly makes a smartphone a smartphone. I currently have a ... General Smartphones forum

xtraheat no está en línea Stack level 1

What is a Smartphone?????

Advertisement

Can anyone tell me what definitly makes a smartphone a smartphone. I currently have a Blackjack through at & t. I am due for an upgrade. As of 9/6/09 when you upgrade with at& t and you get a smartphone you are required to get a $30 data plan. When I got the Blackjack I got it because I liked the way it looked. I don't use any of the data stuff. I only use it for texting and the phone. I want to get a new phone but I don't want a smartphone. I am currently looking for unlocked phones but I want to make sure I don't get a smartphone. I know blackberry and palm are smartphone and some basic flip phones are not. What about the samsung Impression or Eternity. Man this has become long winded. I guess I want to know what determines if a phone is a smartphone or not and can anybody give me suggestions on any cool phones (touchscreens, candy bar etc) phones that are not smartphones and run on the gsm network.

Thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Here ya go (definition of smartphone)!

As for what phones are NOT, you should go into a store and talk with the reps about what might suit your needs, then play around with the different models they offer to see what feels comfortable to you.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's a pretty good question, I have not seen that one in some time. I think the definition has changed and currently I'm not sure what each carrier will consider a "Smartphone". I'm going to take a stab.

A Smartphone will do one or more of these things:
    Data enabled
    GPS
    Email

Have you considered buying a used phone that you can take into a store and activate without having to commit to all the bells and whistles?
    Another option may be to purchase something like an iPod Touch. It's everything the iPhone is but not a phone and there is no monthly cost to use it. You can install Apps from the App Store and actually make it a Phone. Using WiFi will allow you to use it for free also. The iPod Touch is a Text Machine.

xtraheat no está en línea Stack level 1

used or unlocked?

Do you mean if you get a used or unlocked phone you are not required to get a data plan???

Quote Originally Posted by xtraheat View Post
    Do you mean if you get a used or unlocked phone you are not required to get a data plan???
    Of course not. You may have needed to get the AT&T Data plan in order to get the best price on the phone, but to use the phone for what you want to use it for, only get a data plan if you want one. Every "Smartphone" that I've ever heard of or used can be used very well without a Data Plan. I've used several models of Blackberry (for personal use) without a data plan; I get a great phone with all that implies (Contacts, speed dial, speakerphone, Text messaging, everything -); all the PIM functions (Calendar, Notepad, Password Keeper, Tasks, and every other organizational tool imaginable); the camera and the MMS service (which comes without the Data plan on a Blackberry with OS 4.5 or newer) all at exceptional quality.

The term "Smartphone" is a generic term that means different phones to different people. Folks that use Media-oriented models, like the Nokia Music Xpress line, think they have the smartphones and sneer at the businessmen. Those with Blackberrys think their devices are the smart ones. Frankly, I think they're all pretty darn smart.

I used to use a Blackberry 8700g (T-Mobile). On all Blackberrys you can get basic information be menu-ing to a screen called "About". When I first got this 8700, it had OS 4.1, and in "About" it claimed it was a "Mobile Device". I upgraded to OS 4.2, and "About" changed its mind and identified the phone as a "Handheld". Then, a little over a year ago, OS 4.5 became available for the 8700 and, lo and behold, the 8700g became a "Smartphone!"

"Smartphone" is in the eye of the beholder.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I had to look it up and found different answers:

A smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality. There is no industry standard definition

Electronic handheld device that integrates the functionality of a mobile phone, personal digital assistant (PDA) or other information appliance

A generic name for voice centric mobile phones with information capability. The Ericsson R380 Smartphone is an example of such a Symbian OS phone.

A telephone that provides additional information accessing features. Any mobile telephone that combines voice services with e-mail, fax, page

smartphones - are cell phones that are no longer limited to making voice calls. This category includes devices such as the BlackBerry, the Razr, the iPhone