I'm curious, what do people believe is the dividing line between a regular cell phone ... General Smartphones forum

What is a Smartphone?

Advertisement

I'm curious, what do people believe is the dividing line between a regular cell phone and a "Smartphone"? What does a Smartphone do, or have, that distinguishes it from an average handheld?

My main phone is a Nokia 7510, which is considered just a "phone" I guess. The device I'm using to post this is my HTC Shadow, which would be considered a true Smartphone. Yet I see no real difference in capabilities. I'd be interested in reading some thoughts on the subject.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    good question.most phones these days are pretty darn smart. i would consider a phone to be a smart phone if in can browse the web(the actual web and not that watered down version) and handle 3rd party apps.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    To me a smartphone can use messaging, web access, organizer, calendar, phone, games, music, camera, etc

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    To me a smartphone can use messaging, web access, organizer, calendar, phone, games, music, camera, etc
    I agree with this and what catstide said about 3rd party apps. Merge those two posts together and that to me is a smartphone

mcaples no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've always figured the closer related to a PC the more it can be considered a smart phone...browser copy/paste FLASH PLAYER etc.

Ashhan no está en línea Stack level 1
    I figure the closer it comes to replacing my computer the more it is a smartphone. Apps, messaging, real web browsing, email, plus you know... Actually ringing like a phone sometimes.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    As new devices come out the standards for being considered a smartphone are going to get higher and higher. I remember when the first black and white sidekick with hardly any features was considered a smartphone. Now I can't imagine having a phone with at least a 2.0mp camera. I guess I could use a regular phone if I had no choice but it would break my heart.

VIOLATOR no está en línea Stack level 3
    The reason I got my BB in the 1st place. Something that lets me actually get work done while not physically in my office. Receive, review, edit, create and forward reports in real time and in universally compatible formats.

There is very little I am able to get done in my office that I can not get done on the road with my BB.

David

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Via Wikipedia: A smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality. There is no industry standard definition of a smartphone. For some, a smartphone is a phone that runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers. For others, a smartphone is simply a phone with advanced features like e-mail, Internet and e-book reader capabilities, and/or a built-in full keyboard or external USB keyboard and VGA connector. In other words, it is a miniature computer that has phone capability.

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    You know what? I have wondered the same thing a few times. I would have to agree and say I think of it as being a phone with computer-like capabilities.

I like the "computer-like capabilities" answers. One thing for sure, answers to this question are very relative. Like when li2327 mentioned the first B&W screen Sidekick - The 62xx and 72xx Blackberrys, when first introduced, were on the cutting edge of "smartphone". Now they are mere calculators with a few extra features - - Yet my favorite Berry is the 7290, and I think it's a smartphone. This must be a question everyone must ask himself, I guess.

Or, do like RIM - Change the name of the phone!! When the 8700g was first introduced in '04, it had OS 4.1.0.377. If you look at the "about" under Options, it said "Blackberry 8700 Handheld". When 4.2 came out in (I think I remember) early 2007, it remained a "Handheld". When 4.5 was introduced for it recently, did anybody else besides me notice that it became a "Smartphone"? True!