does it matter if a update comes out for a different cell phone provider but ... General Smartphones forum

agent47 no está en línea Stack level 2

Upgrades

Advertisement

does it matter if a update comes out for a different cell phone provider but not yours?
    example: an update comes out for sprint but isnt available for rogers....can you still use the available update from a different company with your phone even tho your not with that company but have the same phone?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    In regards to blackberry yes you can if its for the same model, just need to delete vendor.xml and good to go.

For others I'm not so sure.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thats the thing...i have a HTC touch...i dunno if you can help me but heres my problem

they have windows mobile 6.1 available, my cell phone company is rogers and i found the update for sprint but its not available with rogers...does that make a difference?

I can't because I simply haven't used that device.

If I were to guess (and I am, please keep that in mind) I'd say "maybe". Big help huh?

Don't have any idea if this comes into play with winmobile, but sprint is cdma, what is rodgers? As posted in your other thread if they differ it could affect network performance.

Your best bet would be to be patient and see what else is posted. Perhaps see if anyone else has your device and had successfully upgraded.

rogers is gsm

I just did a quick search and some scanning of the results and I MAY have an answer for you. Yes its possible, but even having some experience with devices I'd not do it.

When I say possible I mean to flash another carriers ROM, still not 100% sure on the cdma/gsm thing.

Here's a site for you to visit:
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25335

Read it very carefully. If you decide to go that route good luck.

Hopefully that isn't the last word on what you'd like to do. Someone may come along with something new.

Hope it helps.

Jay

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    The "phone" software for Sprint wouldn't work on a Rogers device because the hardware/radios are different. But you might be able to mash something to work. In general though, trying to get device software for one wireless technology to work on a different wireless technology is very technical and not for the average user to try.