Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Hi all! I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for a few years now, but lately ... General Smartphones forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Tethering Apps?

Advertisement

Hi all!

I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for a few years now, but lately I find myself getting more and more fed up with how slow the mobile web is, slow response times, and the lack of apps that I want which are only made for other devices. So I am entertaining the idea of switching to another smartphone, but I have one major concern I need to get figured out before I can even start looking into another device...

I have to be able to tether the device to my laptop so I can use the device as a modem when needed and do so without having to pay my carrier a monthly fee. Right now I am doing this with my BlackBerry using Fixmo Extend and it has worked very well for me.

Otherwise it seems like I can get many, if not all, of the other apps I use daily on just about any smartphone. But having this one is extremely important to me.

So does anyone know of other smartphones that have the same kind of app available?
    If so... what smartphone and what is the name of the app?

Thanks in advance!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Any android, and I will send you the Alps if needed. One requires root, the other doesn't.

If you root sometimes custom roms unlock it for you. Usually you can get a stock rom with just root and unlocked hotspots. Any androids you may be interested in, give the device/carrier and I'll check.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Any android, and I will send you the Alps if needed. One requires root, the other doesn't.

If you root sometimes custom roms unlock it for you. Usually you can get a stock rom with just root and unlocked hotspots. Any androids you may be interested in, give the device/carrier and I'll check.
    Thanks for the reply jfcooley!

I've not even begun looking into any particular device yet because I wanted to make sure I focused on ones I knew I could get a tethering app for. But I will check into androids and see what my carrier (Verizon Wireless) has. As for the rest of what you said, that was like trying to read German to me LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Stay away from Motorola......
    Samsung is best in my opinion. Del will vouch for the galaxy nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Stay away from Motorola......
    Samsung is best in my opinion. Del will vouch for the galaxy nexus.
    Well it looks like I might be in a pickle because I would really like to keep my physical keyboard and the only device Verizon offers with one is the Droid Pro by Motorola Otherwise I will have to go with a slider, which usually (in my experience) ends up being junk. Plus it looks like everything is touch screen and I'm not sure if I would like that. Only one like that I've used is my BF's droid and it had me frustrated after about five minutes because every time I touched it something would launch LOL

I have a Storm2 I was going to have my service switched to, but after a day of playing with it I hated it. The all touch screen was really annoying, which may just have been because I'm not used to it, but I couldn't stand the virtual keyboard.

So I may have to put this bright idea on hold for a while because Verizon has a crappy return policy
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Welcome back JB! Either a Droid or an iPhone will enable you to tether. You'll have to jailbreak the iPhone to do it there but we can help you with that.

I always thought I couldn't live without the keyboard but you'll get use to it.

I would take a bit and play around with touch. Will never be as good as a physical keyboard but you can get pretty good with one. There are a few different keyboards available for androids, with feedback and without.

Then again there are the blackberry 10 devices, may end up being pretty good.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    There are droids with keyboards but I won't advise any of them. Writing quickly on a touch keyboard is a relatively short learning cycle.
    The iPhone is easier at first.
    The Droids though have many keyboards that you can try out until you find one that suits you. I'm with Swiftkey X 3 , and that to me is the best. The 3 is in beta (it's incredibly fast with fab dictionaries) so if your choice is Android we can help you out there as far as choosing a kb.
    Now, as far as tether, the Droid over the iPhone. It's simply built in ( Samsung Galaxy series and the Note and the new Galaxy S3 being launched on May 3). The Galaxy Nexus also. And there are multiple apps available that will serve as alternatives if the stock one isn't up to scratch.
    I find that the need for an iPhone to perform better, it must be jailbroken is a nuisance and annoying.
    And I'm writing this on one... But my pref is Droid.

http://db.tt/T5IddVVt
    FoxFi

No root needed. I haven't tried it but it supposedly works.

Know you aren't ready for it, but in case you want to try it with your bf phone.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Much as I don't like to see another person leave BB, the new Samsung will be out soon, if you really want a physical keyboard you could always use a bluetooth portable keyboard there are quite a few on the market then you would have the bigger screen for those Apps you don't get on BlackBerry

I believe Tether is a cross platform program but it isn't free
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I wouldn't compare a BlackBerry Storm 2 to any other touchscreen device. The clicky touchscreen is not found in any of the other devices. The Storm and Storm 2 were junk. The 9850 is much better than that.

I did not think I would adjust to a virtual keyboard either, but after using my Nokia Lumia 900 for 3 weeks, I would never return to a physical keyboard.

I also recommend Samsung Android devices.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
    Hi all!

I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for a few years now, but lately I find myself getting more and more fed up with how slow the mobile web is, slow response times, and the lack of apps that I want which are only made for other devices. So I am entertaining the idea of switching to another smartphone, but I have one major concern I need to get figured out before I can even start looking into another device...

I have to be able to tether the device to my laptop so I can use the device as a modem when needed and do so without having to pay my carrier a monthly fee. Right now I am doing this with my BlackBerry using Fixmo Extend and it has worked very well for me.

Otherwise it seems like I can get many, if not all, of the other apps I use daily on just about any smartphone. But having this one is extremely important to me.

So does anyone know of other smartphones that have the same kind of app available?
    If so... what smartphone and what is the name of the app?

Thanks in advance!
    Does you laptop have a WiFi ?

Many HTCs come with the ability to become WiFi hotspots like my evo for example.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Good point KTW, Phones with the WiFi hotspot capability will certainly remove the tethering worry.

If you are going for a touch screen go and try them out, I personally felt that the IPhone had the best touch screen capability, well it did a year ago, there may well have been an improvement with the other devices since. One problem I have with touch screens is when the weather here is really cold my hands get really dry so dry that there is not enough moisture to allow the conductivity on the screens to work, so I am grateful that I actually have a phone with a keyboard, this of course can be fixed by having a portable keyboard available or carrying a stylus for such occurrences, also useful when your hands are greasy from working on equipment etc.
    KTW likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

KTW, she was looking for a way to tether without paying.
    The only way to use a native hotspot without that excessive charge is to root. Otherwise you need to use a separate app.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Dose that app not come pre installed on the sense 3 devices. I got my EVO with it pre installed and use it now and then. Did your EVO not have this pre installed ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast