I just wondered if anyone has considered possible problems of not having any locally stored ... General Smartphones forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question Solar Flares and Cloud technology

Advertisement

I just wondered if anyone has considered possible problems of not having any locally stored data, or software locally installed, instead relying on the Cloud capability of various websites, particularly with the recent solar activity and probably solar flares possibly hitting the earth, disrupting the grid and signal transmission?

Or am I being a worrywort???

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Never-ending thought problem... which I never felt concerned with. Maybe because of my relative ignorance on the subject.
    But now that you bring it up, yes I think I'm concerned in saving information that I trust to the cloud programs. Besides the fact that I backup everything I do as a habit, I'm not sure if something that catastrophic won't send all my best laid plans to destruction.
    Nothing is full proof I reckon... and if it happens, and we have the normal brain working, nothing, or very little will be lost. Except for the details ... but nature also takes over. And we'll soon be able to remember and recover what we need !
    And find that our excessive care to keep things forever, is superfluos.
    My 2 cents...
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-24-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: ,

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    As always bakcup locally is extremly important, and to that once you have backed up your data, take the disk off line and unplug it. Solar flares can cause major power surges which can brick the disks, surprisingly enough I had a UBS system that was bricked (but saved the computer) during a major electrical storm in Texas. Losing pictures, music and most of all data can be catastrophic, and until it happens, it is often in the back of the mind (yeah I must backup my computer tomorrow, but as they say tomorrow never comes and people forget to do it).