Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i rather have no apple. if i'm in a store to check some mobiles, what ... General Smartphones forum

okeee no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

i rather have no apple.
    if i'm in a store to check some mobiles, what are the functionalities I should look for? to evaluate them. and for usability, what should I look for, except the keyboard (if it correctly registers touched keys).

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Depending on your carrier, get a phone capable of handling 4G data reception that is coming down the pipe eventually, if not already where you are. Android is a good choice for web browsing. Most Androids with the big screens can be set to view web pages in desktop mode and you can pinch to zoom in. I find the web experience top notch. I'm partial to HTC because I like the Sense interface. With Sense, copying an pasting is easy, as well as searching the meaning of a word in a web page (just touch to highlight). I switched to vanilla Android by turning off Sense, and found that copying, pasting and searching was not as easy as it was with Sense turned on. That's just my opinion. Be sure to pick up a car charger or extra charger/ battery, because these full screen phones use more battery than a blackberry, for example. I get about 8 hrs. of heavy use with Sense turned on. About 15 when using "vanilla" Android or with Sense turned off.

Ive seen mobiles that are very cheap but there is some monthly subscription it seems, and ive seen mobiles that are simlock free. not sure which one is better. I wont often make phonecalls, and wont use the internet for hours, just to look up stuff now and then. So which should I choose? Anything else I need a subscription for with a provider, just for calling and internet?

Techie_Jr no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile

Another site that may be helpful in choosing a smartphone: Smartphone Review

I would say you should definitely look for at least a 3G capable phone. I would also suggest going into the stores and feeling/handling the phones before you decide on one. Getting a new phone usually locks you into at least a 1 year contract with the carrier, which means you need to be content with the phone you have for at least a year. Understanding that, you should also make sure the carrier has good coverage in your area too. Blackberry is a great phone to have because of it's e-mail push system but the downside is that they are behind in technology. iPhones are great entertainment devices but lack a physical keyboard. I definitely wouldn't suggest you go for a Blackberry Storm because they're crap. lol I just switched from a Blackberry to a HTC HD7 and am still trying to get used to the touch screen keyboard... though I've been playing with it for about 2 weeks now.

Oh, and you should also consider battery life of a phone. I can say that on my Blackberry Curve 8900 my battery drain was significantly less than the new HD7. I think with any touch screen phone (maybe minus ones with a keyboard, but I'm not sure) battery drain is inevitable because the phone must constantly power the whole screen of the phone and any processes that run on it.

Hope this helps.

Ok, about battery use, using the phone for how many hours would be considered 'good' or 'sufficient' ?

ok, for example i saw some phones which had 330 min. thats about 5 hours, and these phones are kinda new. isnt that really low?

Determining what is "good or sufficient" for battery life really depends on what type of user you are. For me, I'm on twitter and Facebook and spend a lot of time on my phone phone accessing those sites, so I always have to keep my phone plugged in because of the battery drain. That's different than someone who only uses their phone for e-mails though. Most smartphone users get into the habit of charging their phones whenever they can... even with a good battery.

Is it better to buy a phone in combination with a subscription with a provider?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes. You'll definitely get a better deal on the phone if you buy in conjunction with a plan.

That question depends on you and what your budget is. The good part about getting a phone as a part of a new contract with a carrier is that you get the phone at a much cheaper price than what you'd get if you bought it full price. The bad part is that it locks you into a contract and you probably won't be able to upgrade your phone (getting a new phone at a discounted price) for at least a year. If you don't like contracts and have the money to spare (around $500 for most smartphones) buying the phone might offer a little more flexibility down the line.

If you are thinking about getting the phone on a contract you should look at the phone deals on amazon. Often times they're promotions are much better than anything you'll find on a carrier's website.

dockishen no está en línea Stack level 1
    hi okee,
    I have this problem where i have to get every " smartphone" and i seem to have a collection of them , from the iphone 4, the blackberry torch , the BBcurve , Nokia N8, the nokiae51, HTC HD, HTC3600, ZTE and LG dual sim phones . and that is just my current crop of phones.
    i tend to use the BB torch and the iphone4 often.
    the advantages of BBtorch are fantastic battery life and five hours is the average time you can 'speak' on the phone the standby time is important as well and any blackbery will give you two days of light use and you can internet search and change themes, and its cheap and easy to use .
    iphone you said you were not interested in so i wont mention it.
    the nokia N8 is fantastic in so far as the battery life sucks and its advanced functions stump even someone like me ( used to mucking about phones)
    the best advice i can give you is to go into a shop and feel the phones and then read reviews on them and ask on here !!! which you have done already hope this helps

ok thanks, ive checked some, and i'm looking for the blackberry 8820, although its quite hard to find it as new, since its a bit old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12