Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm looking for a smartphone, but I dont know much about them. I just want ... General Smartphones forum

okeee no está en línea Stack level 2

smartphone selection

Advertisement

I'm looking for a smartphone, but I dont know much about them. I just want to be able to use the internet, check email and websites. what other functionalities should I look for ?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack! You've come to the right place and will definitely get some good opinions on what to look for.

First, who is your carrier? You should really go into a local store and check out all your options. See what feels good in your hands and suits the needs you describe above.

I'm a BlackBerry devotee, but there is a world of excellent smartphones out there so it's really about your individual taste and then what you feel comfortable with.

well there are so many stores and phones to select from, I have no idea what to look for, and which functionalities are useful. I'm ok with any smartphone, just no apple.

So you have no carrier and you can go anywhere you want?

First question you need to ask yourself then is which carrier in your area has the best coverage. Nothing will frustrate you more than to have this high tech smartphone and not be able to use it because you can't get a signal. Talk with your friends who have smartphones and see what carriers they're on and how they like the service.

Once you've gotten that narrowed down, most carriers will give you 30 days to exchange devices as many times as you want to get the one that feels right.

Do you want a physical keyboard or a touchscreen, or a combo of both? You said you don't want an iPhone, so that pretty much leaves you with BlackBerry, Android or a Windows phone. Personally, if you really don't want an iPhone, then I'd choose between BlackBerry and Android. Verizon currently has way more options for Android, although AT&T just came out with the Motorola Atrix which looks really nice. T-Mobile has some good choices as well.

i'm from europe and in this country most providers have the same signal range. about the keyboard, i'm not sure. which is more convenient and faster to use (ergonomic), or which can cause more errors in typing (not properly registering when a key is touched). blackberry and android is the operating system right? what is so bad about the windows phone?

Some people love the virtual keyboard, but IMO you'll be more prone to errors with the virtual keyboard over a physical keyboard.

I don't have any experience with Windows phones, but BlackBerry, iPhone and Android are way ahead of the game with regard to smartphones.

ok, about internet use, what exactly can you do with a smartphone that you cant do with a normal phone?

I noticed some smartphones have qwerty keyboard layout, whats the use actually, because you can't really type as on a normal keyboard?

Not sure what you mean by "normal" phone, but most smartphones offer screen sizes anywhere from the low 3" range up into the high 4" ranges, which you won't find on a normal phone. If you're looking to spend a lot of time on the internet, you'll definitely want a larger, higher resolution screen that you'll only find on a smartphone.

As for the keyboard, if you're used to the layout of the QWERTY keyboard on your laptop or PC, that will make the transition to typing on the smartphone keyboard easier. Yes, you'll only be able to use your thumbs for the most part, but as I said, if you're used to the QWERTY layout, you won't spend as much time hunting and pecking the keys on the phone.

except for the better visibility, are there any websites I cant use when I have a normal phone? Or typing emails.. Not sure if I'll use the internet much, but I do want to look up information often.

Do you know a reliable website that you can select features, or more importantly deselect features(cuz i probably wont need a lot of the features), to choose a suitable smartphone?

I know lots of websites here in the States. None in Europe, sorry.

Oh thats ok, im just interested in the model, then i can go to the store and check if they have it. But important is that I can (de)select features im (not) interested in.

I don't know what country you're in, but surely your carriers there have websites where you can look at the devices they carry.

ah yes, but I was more looking for a website that compares all smartphones, not just per brand. So I can compare their features or select 1 I need.

This site looks interesting.

Candypants no está en línea Stack level 1
    It depends on your budget! If you have enough money,then Iphone!
    Hi,all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast