Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While not published information, I have a relative in the US auto industry who has ... General Smartphones forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Smartphone life expectancy

Advertisement

While not published information, I have a relative in the US auto industry who has talked about being in meetings where the useful life cycle of a car was discussed and targeted to ~100,000 miles for an average customer... do our smartphones have similar expectations from their manufacturers?

If so, whats the going opinion on life expectancy for (with comparable use across the varying platforms)....

BlackBerries

iPhones

HTC touchscreen devices
    I'm a born again Androider

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    i think the "life expectancy" is very high with phones. Other than the normal wear-and-tear (i.e. cracked cases, screens, etc..) the phone should last as long as the software (apps, updated OS's) doesnt get too heavy for the hardware to process.

now if you keep into consideration the cases, screens, etc...the phone will only last as long as the owner can keep it from dropping LOL
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Probably about 2 years, length of contract...or slightly less. Although they still can be useful beyond that time period, usually their batteries no longer hold a charge and their capabilities are long surpassed by newer models. Right now things are changing and growing so fast in this industry that within 6-12 months some devices already start to seem antiquated....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Right now things are changing and growing so fast in this industry that within 6-12 months some devices already start to seem antiquated....
    That's why I never keep a phone for the length of the contract. I've had my Bold for over a year and that is by far the longest I have kept a phone. I can't seem to find a Blackberry that is good enough to replace it.

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    He must have worked at GM if they're expected to only last 100k lolololol.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I look at the question a litle different. I see the life cycle as a very short one. 1 year would be the average from my point of view. Software and hardware change so much that 1 year will be the average a person would want to keep using the device.
    I'm sure it's good for much longer but Technology changes or actually advances faster than that. In order to remain happy I look at the cycle of 1 year.

I know phones will last much much longer but will it still do what u want? It's a natural thing to request more. Remember dial up modem speeds? The dial up modem was great but then soon came faster speeds and while we could still use dial up modems at 36k we still wanted broadband.

For me the life cycle is 1 year. I know....... I'm a little off your topic or have stretched it a bit but that is how I see my own uses for any one phone.
    Two years is a long time to keep one phone and not want something more current. Think of it another way. Two years ago Android was?.......
    now look at Android devices. Huge change in just two short years. Have u seen the new 2dot1 Evo? Wow.

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4
    2 years IS a LONGGGG time with 1 phone. This is my first BB, an 8130 pearl. Don't get me wrong I love my lil phone, BUT!!! When I see my friends with their nice, shiney new "toys", my lil pearl seems like a rotary dial phone, ANCIENT! Now as far as how long it will actually last, I've had it almost a year and a half and it still works just as good, if not better (only because I figured out how to fix and deal with memory issues) than it did when I first got it. I did have to replace the trackball assembly, insurance coverd it. But other than that, it could go on for years. Just like my old RAZR. With all of the perverbial crap I put that phone through, it still works just fine, and its over 7 years old. The phones themselves will last as long as the owner takes care of it, much like a car. I actually had a Chevy Blazer with over 350k miles. The original engine, transmission, etc. Ran just as smooth as when I bought it brand new in 1992. So again, it all depends on the owner, and how well they maintain their device. Of course, with the ever changing industry, after a short time the device may be outdated, but it will still work. LOL!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    The longest i kept a phone for was for one year and when I upgraded I felt like I was living in the dark ages . Phones need to be upgraded on a constant basis sorta like gf's oh snap! Just kidding ladies
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    6-12 mos is what I think, but some carriers actually think they should last 21 mos of a 2 yr contact, and yet they only have a 1-yr warranty, what is wrong with that picture????
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've actually tried to plan out not having any one device for more than one year (give or take a few months). It hit me a few years back when I was thinking about it.
    It's an exciting time for the smart phone and it's development. It's moving forward quicky and the changes are enough to warrant newer devices.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Here manufacture warranties are 2 years, by law. Contracts with providers are usually for the same period .
    Smartphones last, in my hands, about 4 months, except for this 9700 which I've had since the launch. A record...
    Otherwise, if something new and better comes out, it's off with old and welcome the new ...unless I decide to keep it for my collection.
    As far as life expectancy, I think maximum should be 2 years expected. It's not the fact that the smartphone will die, but because of the constant improvements on the OS and new functions, I don't want to be saddled with an old horse...

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think that sometimes we(us forum dwellers) forget that we are the minority. The life expectancy for us is much different than most. We are the extreme power users. But think of how many people use their devices for basic personal information management, address book, calendar, keep up with emails on the go....and that's all they need. Many of them never even load a 3rd party theme. For example, take a look at this article, the only blackberry in the list is the 8300 which was released almost 3 years ago, yet it still made the list as one of the most actively used devices last month.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Good point^^

The typicle main stream customer is a much different type of user which there are millions of

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I agree! The 8300 is still popular and still selling. It does exactly what users what it to do and for most users, that's all they need. I think the device lifetime span is 2 -3 years

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Has anyone ever purchased a new device and then after using the new one for a month or so pulled the older one back out and tried to use it?
    What was your reaction?
    Did anything strike you as funny or odd?

I pulled my first gen Pearl out after having used a Bold 9000 and the iP and got a chuckle out of it. The Pearl keyboard and screen was so tiny and I had to ask myself "What was I thinking?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast