By: Android pit, you should find it to be a good read. LCD LCD displays ... General Smartphones forum

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5

smartphone displays compared, what are the pros and cons of each ?

Advertisement

By: Android pit, you should find it to be a good read.

LCD

LCD displays start with a backlight that’s always on, and require light in order to create black, white, and colors. High end LCD’s have the reputation for creating the most accurate colors and “grays”, but are often calibrated (on purpose) to produce weaker red, blue, and purple colors to keep power consumption down. LCD screens also age slower, and can easily withstand thousands of hours of use.

OLED

This particular type of screen requires no light in order to produce black, but only needs it to produce white and colors. Because of this, it can be considered as a battery saving display. OLED displays are often brighter, but can often suffer from oversaturated green colors. They also age a lot faster than LCDs, with red and blue colors deteriorating faster than green. That might not sound like a big deal, but it can cause the color balance to suffer over time. OLEDs are also more expensive to make, which has caused many manufacturers (HTC for example) to switch from AMOLED to LCD displays.

Super AMOLED

Don’t let the title “Super” fool you. This is simply Samsung’s proprietary name and approach to making OLED displays. In other words, Super AMOLED=Samsung OLED. Super AMOLED, Super AMOLED Plus, and HD Super AMOLED only really have one major difference: sub pixels.

Screen pixels are generally made up of red, green, and blue sub pixels that combine to create other color combinations. For example, Samsung’S Super AMOLED uses Samsung’s PenTile layout, and the same pattern of red, green, blue, and green sub-pixels, which typically has fewer sub pixels than the layout used in LCD displays. The larger sub pixels are effective in letting in more light, which lead to brighter and smoother images, which is seen on the Galaxy S2, Samsung Droid Charge, and the Samsung Infuse 4G. Super AMOLED HD is simply the same PenTile Super AMOLED display, but with a higher resolution of 1280 x 720. These screens are featured in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, and the new Samsung Galaxy S3.

IPS and Retina

IPS , which stands for “in plane switching, is actually a premium LCD technology that’s known for having a wide viewing angle and clear picture. You can find this display in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. The “Retina Display” that Apple uses is based on IPS technology, and if you’ve ever seen an iPhone in action, I’m sure you can attest to how great the screen is. The Transformer Prime features an IPS display, and I can personally attest to how great the colors are. The newly announced Transformer Infinity will feature a "Super IPS" display 1920 x 1200.

And the best display is?

So which type of display is best? There’s no real answer for that, as it will most likely boil down to personal preference. I personally prefer IPS and Super AMOLED displays, but that certainly doesn’t mean that any one display is better than the other. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses, with some having more textured and brighter colors, while others produce colors differently to reduce battery consumption.

So next time you’re browsing around the shop looking at different phones, try to see if you can spot the differences in the displays. Keep in mind that this article was only to provide a brief overview of the key differences of the displays, as there are obviously other technical factors that come into play with their individual construction. With some you might see nothing, but for others you might notice a considerable difference.

KTW
    So according to the information above, which is your preferred/favorite display type ?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    KTW, geez we can't keep up with you.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Cut n paste king...

KTW
    I personally don't really mind about the display, but I've seen that with some AOLED displays you have ghosting (faint image burns on a blank wite screen) .

So I'd say if I had a choice (same device with two different screen type options) I'd pick IPS, not that it bothers me too much , but I must admit that the colours on AOLED are very nice, I like them overdone. But I'd still opt for IPS.

Last edited by KTW; 09-02-2013 at 10:15 AM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Struggling?
    You post then reply to yourself.

Personally I'm a little sick of it. I'm out.
    Good luck. Good luck to everyone else. See ya in 2 weeks.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    KTW we know you're trying hard to get to the prizes. I don't think it's advisable for you to post new threads just for the sake of doing so, or even answering them yourself, since no one seems to be interested in your topics...except for Jay, who does so just to show his displeasure at all this.
    So as much as you want to win, which we recognize, we at PS want as much for your threads and posts to be coherent. Understood?

KTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    KTW we know you're trying hard to get to the prizes. I don't think it's advisable for you to post new threads just for the sake of doing so, or even answering them yourself, since no one seems to be interested in your topics...except for Jay, who does so just to show his displeasure at all this.
    So as much as you want to win, which we recognize, we at PS want as much for your threads and posts to be coherent. Understood?
    Sure, sorry, got carried away a little, what topics are generally enjoyed on PS ?, I though that tech related stuff was a must have as pinstack is a tech website...I mean the topic of display technologies is very interesting for me so it's hard to tell what the general interests of pinstack are. Also I am very passionate about my apps/software and hardware, so I share as much I can. Just wish you guys would be more specific in explaining what exactly is wrong with my posts as they are definitely relevant considering that this is a smartphone forum and major tech geek website. I mean I made the effort when I was alerted that my posts were annoyances. I started to post relevant post that display wanted information (in my opinion). What can I say...we are worlds apart. We have different interests and opinions which are very hard to compensate for but I try my best . I am aware that pinstack is a United States owned website. Send me a pm, tell me what I can change for the better and I'll do it. That goes for you too J, send me a pm , tell me what's bothering you about my posts...I'm sure you all know that I have made every effort to abide by the rules of pinstack, I have followed all of them with the utmost integrity. It's frustrating to keep getting told more or less the same thing about my posts after I've made multiple efforts to fix them, please just send me one pm so that we can get over with this and let it became the past and make it stay that way.

And when you pm me please use examples (posts that offended you ,which I made)
    Last edited by KTW; 09-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Dankie boet!

KTW
    If anyone is wondering about a TFT display. It's what the early version of the LCD was ,if I'm not mistaken.