Just wondering, why is there not a phone with a USB port that you can ... General Smartphones forum

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Phones and Thumbdrives

Advertisement

Just wondering, why is there not a phone with a USB port that you can plug your thumbdrive into? Is there a power issue? Seems like it would be a good way to view videos, store off your music etc. I'm just amazed this hasn't been done yet but I'm sure there is a reason.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    MicroSD cards are the preferred method.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I agree that it would sometimes be beneficial, but at the same time it would seem cumbersome to have that sticking out the side or bottom of the device. I use a wireless mouse on my laptop and im always worried about bumping or bending the thumbdrive.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    My SD card stores 8GB. Haven't run into a need to use anything larger and can keep a short USB cable in the car for those times I need to plug into a printer (such as at Kinko's). I personally don't see a use for a feature such as this but you never know what the market will bring.

Zo

Well what about those times when you're not near your PC or if your friend says I'd like to show you this stuff but it's on my stick drive so we'll have to wait until we get home? Seems like a damned good idea to me. Not everyone has everything stored off on their phone.

Would be no more cumbersome than having it sticking out of your notebook computer...

One other point, you could then transfer data back and forth from the stick to the phone and vise versa. I think it's a great idea personally and infinitely more useful than half of the silly apps I see.

PIN/ID
    nada
    You make a really valid point, and Im not disagreeing with you at all. For me, I dont like the thumbdrives sticking out of my laptop, so I wouldnt like it sticking out of my device, just my personal opinion.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I hear ya.

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    It is probably mainly to do with the size of the port necessary for a thumbdrive. phones are getting thinner and thinner and crowded for space already. Adding a port for a thumbdrive would undoubtedly cause some issues.

Maybe an adapter cable for the already existing data port on the phone? Of course this might require an app of some sort to allow for safe reading of the drive or a device update?
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I agree that it would sometimes be beneficial, but at the same time it would seem cumbersome to have that sticking out the side or bottom of the device. I use a wireless mouse on my laptop and im always worried about bumping or bending the thumbdrive.
    Here is the solution that I use, a very short USB cable. Plug one end into the computer and the flash drive into the other. Now if it gets bumped no problem. Also allows more room if your laptops USB ports are vertical instead of horizontal. For a mere $2.69 you can buy them via Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/USB-Cable-6inc.../dp/B000BSHJMI

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Here is the solution that I use, a very short USB cable. Plug one end into the computer and the flash drive into the other. Now if it gets bumped no problem. Also allows more room if your laptops USB ports are vertical instead of horizontal. For a mere $2.69 you can buy them via Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/USB-Cable-6inc.../dp/B000BSHJMI
    Good idea!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I have two very short USB cables for the last 2 or 3 years ! This is old news...! I found the convenience long ago ! Pinched one from a Samsung phone and the other at a store ready, ready to go to the bin. Now one is in the car the other in the briefcase. I even dangle the BB on it to the laptop when I'm in the car and I need to connect to the internet in an emergency... !
    Last edited by Delfim; 01-24-2010 at 06:55 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I hate to say this but I don't use Thumb drives much anymore.
    I have several and they all range in size but they just don't cut the mustard anymore. There are more efficient ways to move, keep, store data now.

I'm not saying they are not useful nor don't make things easier or anything like that. I'm just saying I used to use them daily and have several with me at all times in the past but now I don't. They collect dust. between Drop Box, MM, FlickR, Google Docs, etc, etc I've found myself not using them much anymore.

I think the last time one of mine went dead and I lost 4 GB's of data I began looking for ways to keep that from happening.
    Not long ago I never went anywhere without a Thumb Drive and now I never have one and don't miss it.

IDK?

I guess it just depends on what you are doing. I'm a small business owner and an amateur photographer. I have an external hard drive which does automatic backups constantly and I back up my files to my server all the time too. But, I think it's also a good idea to have all my business files on a thumbdrive device which I have in my pocket just in case. Worst case scenario I have my essential business files and my photographs in my pocket all the time.