NPD: Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones Posted Aug 4th 2010 10:46AM by ... General Smartphones forum

raton no está en línea Stack Professional

Thumbs up NPD: Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones

NPD: Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones
    Posted Aug 4th 2010 10:46AM by Vlad Savov

Step aside, BlackBerrys and iPhones, the American consumer has voted with his wallet and picked Android as his favorite flavor in the quarter just gone. NPD's number crunchers have just announced their findings for Q2 2010, concluding that 33 percent of phones sold during the period had Android on board. This marks the first time in eons (Q4 2007, to be more precise) that RIM has not held the crown of most purchased smartphone OS on US soil, with its BlackBerrys accounting for 28% of the market and Apple's iPhone occupying third spot with 22%. Motorola and HTC are the key suspects fingered for Android's continuing ascent, with the "large screen allure" of their handsets playing well with the buying public. Skip after the break for a more detailed breakdown.

Disclaimer: NPD's Ross Rubin is a contributor to Engadget.
    Show full PR text
    The NPD Group: Motorola, HTC drive Android to Smartphone OS lead in the U.S.

Android now installed in one of every three smartphones sold at retail. BlackBerry OS share drops 9 points to 28 percent.

PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, August 4, 2010 - Riding the wave of new handset introductions and wide carrier distribution in the second quarter (Q2), the Android smartphone operating system (OS) continued its upward climb in the U.S. consumer mobile phone market, according to The NPD Group, a leading market research company. For the first time since the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2007, RIM fell to second position, as Android took the lead among operating systems in handsets sold to U.S. consumers.
    NPD's latest wireless market research reveals that Android accounted for 33 percent of all smartphones purchased in Q2, ahead of RIM (28 percent) and Apple (22 percent).

"For the second consecutive quarter, Android handsets have shown strong but slowing sell-through market share gains among U.S. consumers," said Ross Rubin, executive director of industry analysis for NPD. "While the Google-developed OS took market share from RIM, Apple's iOS saw a small gain this quarter on the strength of the iPhone 4 launch."

Based on U.S. consumer purchases of mobile phones in Q2, the top 5 Android smartphones were as follows:

Motorola Droid
    HTC Droid Incredible
    HTC EVO 4G
    HTC Hero
    HTC Droid Eris

"Blackberry 6 will soon offer features that have been popular in recently launched Android handsets, such as support for capacitive touchscreens and a WebKit-based browser. However, the Blackberry Torch lacks the large screen allure that has characterized the best selling Android devices at its price point, including the Droid Incredible and EVO 4G," Rubin said.

Model selection and promotions continue to play a role in the race for carrier dominance. According to NPD's Mobile Phone Track, Verizon Wireless has maintained its lead among top carriers for the last three quarters comprising a third (33 percent) of the units sold in the U.S. mobile phone market in Q2, followed by AT&T (25 percent), Sprint (12 percent), and T-Mobile (11 percent). In Q2 Verizon Wireless continued their buy-one-get-one (BOGO) offers on all smartphones, including both RIM and Android models.

In spite of an overall decline in the number of mobile phones purchased year over year, the ongoing popularity of both messaging phones and smartphones, which are generally more costly than standard feature phones, resulted in slightly higher prices for all mobile phones in Q2. The average selling price for all mobile phones reached $90, which is a 3 percent increase since Q2 last year. Smartphone unit prices, by comparison, averaged $143 in Q2 2010, which is a 9 percent decrease over the previous year.

Data Note: The information in this press release is from Mobile Phone Track – NPD's consumer tracking of U.S. consumers, aged 18 and older, who reported purchasing a mobile phone. NPD does not track corporate/enterprise mobile phone purchases.

Source: Engadget
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Is this really a fair comparison when 1.) The BlackBerry OS for most of its life and Android have different purposes? (one for business use, the other for multimedia/personal use) 2.) The Blackberry OS is available on only one manufacturer's device, whereas Android is available on at least Moto, Samsung and HTC (and probably more); and 3.) the Blackberry OS dominance has been driven by Corporations and mass-purchases, whereas Android has not.

I'm not saying the results are skewed, but it might be more appropriate to compare the BlackBerry OS with Symbian or Eye Phone (because they are device specific) and compare Android with Windows Mobile (because they are not). Just some thoughts . . .

I think it is a fair comparison because it shows the total market. Although the various systems may target different areas they all try to do everything. 80% of the consumers that use a blackberry don't need a enterprise targeted phone. Plus, this is what consumers are buying and it shows that blackberry are jumping ship to mainly android. These I feel are the die hard berry fans that are just fed up with seeing all the things a smartphone can do nowadays blackberry is not leader in tech anymore. (hasn't been since 07 if you ask me). Android went up and so did apple. Only slightly but were talking one device(now two), one carrier vs the onslaught of androids out there on every carrier. The majority again went with verizon and they do have the best coverage right now for 3G speeds. If you look at it rim is losing big. The small percentage of enterprise users will not keep them in business. They have a new os, they need a new device with a new sdk and start pushing apps out. They will continue to fall until they relize this.

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    I think it is a fair comparison because it shows the total market.
    If you want to compare total market, then I agree: however, BlackBerry has been so targeted to the corporate user throughout its history that a "total market" comparison makes the RIM OS look much stronger than it really is. A good percentage of BlackBerry users are employees of large corporations that don't have a choice on OS and phone. What that means is that in an accurate comparison, which should only include people that have a choice, I think Android is much, much stronger than this comparison indicates.
    Although the various systems may target different areas they all try to do everything.
    Well, no, not really. As time is going by, this statement is getting closer to being true, but Android was never designed to emulate the BlackBerry OS or do what the BB OS does. It was targeted to a completely different audience. I think now that Android is in wide use, and is popular, the RIM OS is trying to compete (with the intro of 6.0), but they were never designed to do the same thing.
    blackberry is not leader in tech anymore.
    They never were. They did lead in the application of technology at times, but BlackBerry devices have always been a couple of years behind other manufacturers. The 7290 and the original Moto RAZR were contemporaries! (grin). I think the comparison quoted by Raton makes BB look stronger than it really is in the marketplace, again, because a goodly portion of BlackBerry users were not given the choice - they had to accept their corporate Berry. Additionally, there's some other issues that I mentioned in my other post - for example Android being on several manufacturer's devices whereas the BB OS and Symbian and others are limited to one brand, etc.
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 08-05-2010 at 08:14 AM.