Hi. I was unsure where to post this message. I'll try to be brief. I'm ... General Smartphones forum

MartyKoons no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie Stuff

Advertisement

Hi. I was unsure where to post this message. I'll try to be brief.

I'm a pro IT developer and I have some down time. I'm running thru the tutorials on blackberry.com. 'Writing your first application'. etc...

This site gives no information about how to maintain the blackberry device. That is, I know you must connect with the USB cable, then copy the compiled programs somewhere... but where?

I tried deleting an application from the main workspace, but pressing the wheel does not provide a menu, it simply launches the app.

So, once I copy a program to my BB. how do I get rid of it after testing?

I'm concerned that I may FUBAR my BB.

Is there a document that I can download that explains exactly how these programs are to be arranged and maintained on the BB?

I've already backed the BB up to my PC, but I'd rather there be a better way than to be constantly backing up and restoring my BB.

Thanks for any input.
    Marty

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    If you go into Options >Advanced > Applications, you can delete any apps from there. Reboot your BB after you remove it and you'll be good to go.

thanks Digg.

I kind of assumed that I could connect the phone to the computer with the USB and have the phone appear in my windows explorer as a device. this does not seem to be the case. I also assume that there is a directory structure on the BB and I copy my java programs into that folder. then they are displayed on the 'desktop' with the rest of the apps.

But there is nothing in the way of documentation for any of that. (?)
    Marty

Well, if you have a memory card in your BB you will be able to see it as a flash drive, but to install applications, you either have to do it through Desktop Manager, or OTA, not through to a specific folder...

sorry to be so confused by this, but once I do it the first time, I'll have it forever. Desktop Manager seems to want an ALX or ALI file. I'm guessing this is a kind of 'setup kit' for the BB. Can the BDE create one of these files? Also what is OTA?

GOT IT!!! Thanks again Moto

I'm going to have to defer on this to someone else that is more knowledgeable on the subject. I've never done any software development.

Nothing ever has to stay on the BB forever. You can either delete it from the applications list, or by using DM. As far the files you need to use, yes, you need to use an alx file if using on DM...I'll see if I can find someone to help out here.

Well, that is, I got it to copy onto the BB. It appears in Options->Advanced->Applications->HelloWorld. However, it does not appear on my desktop. I cannot activate the program. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Marty