Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srl7741

I'm reading a thread on another board and figured it would maybe get a good ... General Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Maybe a good discussion: Is this stealing?

Advertisement

I'm reading a thread on another board and figured it would maybe get a good discussion going here. All opinions welcome.

Downloading and using a pirated app is of course theft.

What about using the ability to use wireless tether for free once rooted?

Is it? You pay for your data once, should you pay again to tether?

And lurkers/1 n zones, this would be a good time to join in.

My opinion, lol, yes and no. Yes because you sign a contract that agrees to it. However no because I feel that its a method for pure profit. I can USB together free. What extra expenses are there to wirelessly tether to the carrier? What about the nexus line that has native unblocked?

To me "unlimited" means unlimited for me. I wouldn't open up my signal for anyone else to jump on, but I feel that its my data to share with my devices.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, Jay.

It is and it isn't stealing.....IMO, it's more on the side of 'not stealing.'

Voice and data plan pricing is ridiculous anyway, then to have you add a tethering plan on top of that is even crazier.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Nickel and Dimming and Fee-ing a user to death with ambiguous hidden cost is Stealing. When that stops I will then and only then agree Tethering is officially Stealing. Till then more power to you. If you so chose to use what tools are available to make your life better your ok in my world.

RemyKirin likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I will admit I used it quite a bit when I had the tab. I always felt that I was using MY device and MY data. Isn't mine if I paid for it?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Its like this: if you use what you are contracted to use it's called "good". If you go and exploit what you contracted and stretch your rights it's "well, ok but don't over do it." If you go all hog and exploit what you can, the big guns say "steal" because you've just gone over what they consider is the "average consumption" they will concede to you. And here they don't like it at all. They think: give the guys a finger, they'll take a arm...it's all got to do with bandwidth they have bought from some one else, and they have to keep within limits.
    After all that that I've said (I actually admit its confusing, but that's the Italian Chianti) I say... stuff them. Go all hog. Burn their estimates, and free, free, free...
    Look at what "Free" is doing in France ! I'm sure even that can be bettered.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Here's another question along those lines. Is tethering stealing if your Terms and conditions say its not allowed unless specifically noted on your data plan, and yet the tmo reps all walk you thru how to tether on your device?
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Maybe it should be turned around to be the cell providers stealing from us? After all we choose a data plan based on number of minutes, and if we signed up some time ago we could choose an unlimited plan, then comes tethering and the companies see it as an opportunity to increase their income by adding a charge. I would like to know how using data is different depending on using a computer or a cell phone, both transmit and receive? Then take the case of the companies selling their 4G (which of course by true definition is not 4G) at a premium and then not having it available everywhere, surely if you sell something at a premium you should provide up/download speeds and if you cannot maintain those rates you should provide compensation/refund to the consumer, does this ever happen?
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Heck no, Dave.