here is my problem. I wonder if there is a solution or utility to help. ... General Smartphones forum

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

is it possible to check what area code you are in?

Advertisement

here is my problem. I wonder if there is a solution or utility to help.

I live in Ottawa, and travel a fair bit between Toronto and Montreal. When I drive back to Ottawa I might need to make some calls. But if the call is not a pressing I will wait till I am within the city limits so its not a LD call.

but sometimes I make a call "thinking" I am close enough to my own area code, but I am still outside and get hit with LD charges. what also makes it hard is that allot of surrounding areas of Ottawa share the same area code, but its still LD.

so is there a utility or a way to check if you are back in your own area code?

thanks

P
    Last edited by paulypaul; 08-10-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fixed typo

VIOLATOR no está en línea Stack level 3
    That is a very sensible question that I have never seen asked before. I do not have an answer but great question!

David
    F'em and Feed'em Fisheads!

Twitter

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    I don't know of an app for checking that but if you use bb maps or an app like poynt, you could update your location and then search for say, gas, nearby and it will show the location and phone number w/ the area code - then you'll know
    Who told you, you could eat my cookies? Put that cookie down!... Now!
    Courtesy of the Govenator

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
    here is my problem. I wonder if there is a solution or utility to help.

I live in Ottawa, and travel a fair bit between Toronto and Montreal. When I drive back to Ottawa I might need to make some calls. But if the call is not a pressing I will wait till I am within the city limits so its not a LD call.

but sometimes I make a call "thinking" I am close enough to my own area code, but I am still outside and get hit with LD charges. what also makes it hard is that allot of surrounding areas of Ottawa share the same area code, but its still LD.

so is there a utility or a way to check if you are back in your own area code?

thanks

P
    I don't know of an app that will do this for you, but I can see where it would be extremely handy. You get charged for long distance on your device? Roaming I could see. If that were the case, you could just set the device to only work on your network in Options > Mobile Network.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS