Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I currently have an iPhone 4, but am due for an upgrade in Feb and ... General Smartphones forum

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3

iPhone VS Android Atrix?

Advertisement

I currently have an iPhone 4, but am due for an upgrade in Feb and have been thinking that I would move to the iPhone 5. My husband just upgraded his iPhone 4 to the Android Atrix and LOVES it. Now I am giving some consideration to doing the same when I get my upgrade. However, I don't really know if his enthusiasm for the Atrix is just the fun of having new tech or if it really is a superior phone. I know that we don't yet really know much about the iPhone 5, but I was wondering if the Atrix is essentially comparable to what we have in the iPhone.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    My advice-give him a couple of weeks and see how he likes it. I tried an HTC Inspire for three weeks and sold it, went back to my i4. I loved it at first, then the newness wore off and I started noticing the little things-bad battery life, glitches in the OS, email not working correctly and freeze ups. I am decidedly an Apple guy, so this is my opinion only. I suggest see what he says in a couple of weeks, play with it for a while and decide which one you like better. The Atrix may be for you!?
    PS I would definitely wait till the i5 comes out before I burned my upgrade.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I would also suggest waiting if your upgrade is not until February. By then, there will be some newer and better Android devices too, in addition to the iPhone5. Both the Atrix and iPhone4 will be outdated by February.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    My advice-give him a couple of weeks and see how he likes it. I tried an HTC Inspire for three weeks and sold it, went back to my i4. I loved it at first, then the newness wore off and I started noticing the little things-bad battery life, glitches in the OS, email not working correctly and freeze ups. I am decidedly an Apple guy, so this is my opinion only. I suggest see what he says in a couple of weeks, play with it for a while and decide which one you like better. The Atrix may be for you!?
    PS I would definitely wait till the i5 comes out before I burned my upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I would also suggest waiting if your upgrade is not until February. By then, there will be some newer and better Android devices too, in addition to the iPhone5. Both the Atrix and iPhone4 will be outdated by February.
    Yes, very good points. Chockem, I agree at how great my Apple phone is. I had a BB before this one and while I loved the first one that I had, once I upgraded, they started going to crap. So, my iPhone was wonderful when I made that switch. So, I am hesitant (and feel somewhat disloyal) at even considering another jump to a different device because I have not had any problems with my iPhone 4.... ever. I don't intend to do anything now. I am just curious and I suppose, itching for new tech myself.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    You always want to upgrade, not downgrade
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^and for that reason, Android is the choice.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Let's not forget there is also a new version of the Atrix on the horizon as well.

Our man Delfim reviewed the Atrix when it came out. While it's a powerhouse of a device, I believe you said, Del that the device didn't feel as solid in your hand as you would like. After comparing the two in the store, I would tend to agree. If they beef up the Atrix, then it may be worth the consideration, but I just love the solidity and overall feel of the i4. Can't wait to see what's coming from Apple and Motorola.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The overall feeling that I got from the Atrix was that although it was a fine smartphone, there are better choices.
    At the moment the quality belongs to HTC (especially the Sensation) and to the never say die Samsung Galaxy S II. These are superb.
    But in the next couple of months there will be others and better choices available. I especially am waiting for the new Nexus Prime by Samsung.
    So, if the upgrade is only due in February 2012 the concern should be what OS to opt for.
    I personally believe Android is far superior. And not because of the games you can play. Google supplies the user with every conceivable application that facilitates your professional needs. And you don't need special knowledge of any special tricks or skills to make it work well. And its economical. Self reliant...this is important.
    Last edited by Delfim; 08-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Del, when I went from the BB to the iPhone, I was amazed at the simplicity of the user interface. I have often said (to my friends that are tech challenged) that the iPhone is the easiest phone that I have ever used. Are you saying that the Android is even easier? If so, can you maybe share an example or two? I know that there are probably many reasons that you have come to this conclusion, but I would love to learn some specifics.

Like I said, and you guys have pointed out, I have until Feb to make my choice. It's fun to consider now though.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    To start off with, and if you are used to the BB OS, both the iOS and Android ARE USER FRIENDLY. Easier than these you don´t get. They are on par.
    iOS, even with the up and coming iOS 5 will still be behind the Android when it comes to the initial setup and app utilities, like switching on and off of wifi, bluetooth, accesing apps, sms, mails, etc. It's always one-more click on the iOS. The Android which is based on widgets is more direct. Multi tasking I find it easier on Android. Simple to open another app while you're busy with something else. And then you can go back exactly to where you where. The iOS, although also good in multi tasking, is an in and out and restart the app all the time. The app buttons on iOS are always the same. You can move them around, but that's it. On Android you can make home pages (usually up to 5 and some up to 7), with different widgets, big and small. Each home page can have a function: I have Mail and Communication, News, Media, Social Services, and one entirely for Web. One for the weather and other News. One for Fast contacts, Calendar and Mail. To cut a long story short the Android is YOUR Android. You customize as you wish.
    The apps are cheaper on Android Market, and some are free, even though they usually come with ads. I just bought BeWeather for ,69 cents (euro). How much does it cost on BB ? Another great feature of Android is undeniably FLASH. You simply have it. It's very useful especially if your environment is PC. iOS doesn´t have. And it's when you need it that you appreciate having it.
    Last but not least, with iOS you are stuck, like having an umbilical chord, to iTunes. That I don't like. Android is freedom. Easy sync, wirelessly, all the time. That is contacts, mail (push-mail like BB), calendar, to-dos, web favorites etc I haven't connected the Sensation to the PC since I bought it. And if you want music on your phone, almost any music player is compatible.
    Note that I'm talking about standard iOS and Android. Jailbroken iPhones are different, but then compared to Rooted Androids, the difference continues to be considerable.
    I hope this clarifies it. A little biased, obviously.
    Last edited by Delfim; 08-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Yes, that is some great information. Thank you!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    If anyone thinks that Android is as easy to pick up and use they are fooling themselves. I'm not saying its rocket science but it is no where near iOS. Be very careful about picking a android device. Updates come from the phone manufacture. Not google.

I don't know why everyone hates iTunes ??? It's beyond easy. As far as the OS goes. You'll enjoy uniformity across the OS. This CAN NOT be said for Android. Add to that the they are the most targeted for mobile Malware and updates that one only hopes gets released in a reasonable time. On top of that, guess what, that android powerhouse you just bought is now outdated. In one month.

There are some good android phones out there. But if you're looking for ease of use and a solid platform, Apple , hands down.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    ^^^ Ageed! Excellent post.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I'm going to have fun with this,
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    To start off with, and if you are used to the BB OS, both the iOS and Android ARE USER FRIENDLY. Easier than these you don´t get. They are on par.
    While the first part is true, the bold is far from the truth, Android doesn't have the consistancy of iOS throughout the OS.

, even with the up and coming iOS 5 will still be behind the Android when it comes to the initial setup
    Um, no, iOS 5 has to be the easiest OS to setup. You swipe to activate,you select your language, enable iCloud if you wish and off you go. If we're getting in to email, then iOS all the way. Gmail on both is very easy, but when we start talking Exchange, iOS, period. To top it all off, you get a free @me.com address with iCloud. Guess what, NO ADs. If you use a Mac it gets even better, you're native Mail app is in tune with you iPhone and iPad. If you check your mail on one it knows you read it on the other. Yes Gmail does the same but when I get home I use my Mac. Not the brewer either.

app utilities, like switching on and off of wifi, bluetooth, accesing apps, sms, mails, etc. It's always one-more click on the iOS. The Android which is based on widgets is more direct. Multi tasking I find it easier on Android. Simple to open another app while you're busy with something else. And then you can go back exactly to where you where. The iOS, although also good in multi tasking, is an in and out and restart the app all the time.
    I will address this in two parts, First, the swathing on and off on wifi and bluetooth. Why do I need to switch them off??? To save battery on Android is the answer. I always leave Wifi and Bluetooth on and my battery last ALL DAY. From 6 am to 10:30 pm, easy. On both OS if you're in a area where you need to jump on a unfamilar WiFi network you have to go into the settings and select the network. The difference being is that you'll need to turn on WiFi on Android first if you have it off. How do this save a click Accessing apps,mail,sms, etc is the same. one click.

Lets get on to multi-tasking, on iOS its simple, in any app you're in you double click the home button and the task switcher appears,select the app you want to go to and you're right back where you left off. iOS doesn't restart the app, it freezes it where you were. Simple and fast.

app buttons on iOS are always the same. You can move them around, but that's it. On Android you can make home pages (usually up to 5 and some up to 7), with different widgets, big and small. Each home page can have a function: I have Mail and Communication, News, Media, Social Services, and one entirely for Web. One for the weather and other News. One for Fast contacts, Calendar and Mail. To cut a long story short the Android is YOUR Android. You customize as you wish.
    I think this section depends on what you do and want. Widgets take battery because they always run on Android. If i want to check the news I open the news app. News that rocks the world is pushed through the app snow and shows up on screen. In iOS 5 you'll have the latest top news stories in the notification center. Customize as you like. If you get a tweet or whatever it is on FB it shows up in the notification center and on the lock screen if i happen to be away at the moment. I can then choose to look at it later and leave it in the NC or look at it then which takes me to the app with one click.

You have pages on iOS, Put the apps that you want and correspond to each other on them. Main page. Most used, second page, games, then lets separate them into categories with folders on that same page, third, news...etc. I have all my pages organized with all the apps that relate to each other. Not just the main ones. Say i want to create an shopping list, then lets say i want to look of coupons and look at recipes for what I might make that night. All these apps are on the same page. How does it make it easier to have one app i use but then try to find the one I wan through a sea of everything I have on my device. I doesn't. The reason that Android has pages is to try and organize the mess they created by grouping all apps in a drawer. This is the same as if I took all my bills and shoved them into one desk drawer and then moving to most important ones to the desk top. Doesn't make much sense to me.

apps are cheaper on Android Market, and some are free, even though they usually come with ads. I just bought BeWeather for ,69 cents (euro). How much does it cost on BB ? Another great feature of Android is undeniably FLASH. You simply have it. It's very useful especially if your environment is PC. iOS doesn´t have. And it's when you need it that you appreciate having it.
    Apps are free on the Market because these AdMob. Googles mobile ad agency. I would much rather pay $0.99 for a app with no ads then get if free with ads. Apple has iAd. Same thing, some apps use it, most of the time you have the choice of getting the app with iAd or paying for it with none. There's nothing more frustrating then accidentally hitting the ad when you're doing something.
    FLASH, please, I heard this so many time's it getting a bit ridiculous. I've ahd first hand experience with ALL the smartphones and Flash, guess what. It works....sometimes, and when it does it skips and is buggy. Only those that have a issue with the fact Apple doesn't have it will say it plays fine. Hell, it doesn't play fine on my PC!!! I have yet to see where flash would benefit me. In side by side comparisons between iOS and Android HTML5 kicked it rear. Yes same site, iOS loaded it's version and because Android has Flash it loaded the flash version. It's overrated just as it has been for the last 5 years. The web is moving to something better, Adobe is moving to something better. iOS has the biggest user base. Companies realize this, they also realize that more and more people are moving to mobile platforms to access their sites. Do you honestly think their going to leave the biggest base out??? No that's why you see iOS compatible sites. On 80% of them.

Last but not least, with iOS you are stuck, like having an umbilical chord, to iTunes. That I don't like. Android is freedom. Easy sync, wirelessly, all the time. That is contacts, mail (push-mail like BB), calendar, to-dos, web favorites etc I haven't connected the Sensation to the PC since I bought it. And if you want music on your phone, almost any music player is compatible.
    Note that I'm talking about standard iOS and Android. Jailbroken iPhones are different, but then compared to Rooted Androids, the difference continues to be considerable.
    I hope this clarifies it.
    Not sure why some don't like iTunes, it's easy and has everything in one place Some just need to get away from that and complicate things i guess. Me I like having it, Everything I have is in one place. If I want to watch a TV show I downloaded i can, on my iPhone,iPad,Mac or TV through the Apple TV. If I want to rent or buy a movie I can, and play it on any of these devices. With iOS5 I don't have to sync my music or tv shows from one device to the next. It does it for me. If I purchase music on my phone and get home and want to play it through my home stereo from my Mac, it's there already. If I use my iPad to purchase a album and then I wan tot take it with me on my bike ride with my phone. It's there. If I buy a universal app on my iPad, the app auto downloads on my iPhone. Music players all try to be the standard music player on a apple device.

Mail(pushed,like BB, on all 4 accounts), Contacts and Calendar all stay in sync from Mac,iPhone,and iPad. If i change something on one it changes on them all.

The last thing i'll add is about the ecosystem. This is what it is all about. You will find no device that is as easy to use, set up and maintain than a apple product. Across multiple platforms. While we here these specs on Android devices about 2GHz this and 2GB RAM that, how does that relate to user experience ?? I love my Porsche GT3 Turbo, and while it is one of the fastest and best handling sportscars on the planet that you can buy, I don't want to drive it everyday. Sure it faster and more powerful than my A8, but the Audi is luxurious and refined. It works, day to day without a hiccup. Much is the same with iOS and Android. With iOS I don't worry about maintaining it, it just works.

I'm a little biased, obviously.
    Me too, hope both of these posts help you make the decision that's right for you

BHP77 and delfim... thank you very much! You have both given excellent perspectives and different POV's from mine. It's very nice to see such thorough arguments from both perspectives. You have each given me a lot of food for thought and while I still have a while to make my decision, this is a good foundation to start with. Thank you!

I do have to say, that right now, I am leaning towards continuing with the good luck that I have had with my iPhone and using my upgrade for the iPhone 5. However, I think a lot of that has to do with how much I love my current phone, but I want to see what (if any) issues my husband has with his new phone. It has some aesthetic features, that I really like. One of the things that I miss the most from my BB (crappy though they ended up being) is the LED light. My day to day work environment is one that frowns on employees constantly checking their phones. However, I have a 2nd job that requires me to be in regular contact. So, when I had the LED on my BB, it was really nice to not have to physically pick my phone up to know if there was a message of some sort there. So, it's been missed on the iPhone, even though I have learned to live without it. Having said that, it's not something that would make me jump ship and move right over to the Android, Matrix either. That's why I am looking further into it. I just can't see that being the deal breaker for me. I love my iPhone and have learned to live without the LED and can continue to do so... it sure would be nice though. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast