Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By veronicalopz

Ok, so I have both. Swapping sim cards time to time. I love them both, ... General Smartphones forum

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

Question Galaxy S4 or Iphone 5. Which one do I keep?

Advertisement

Ok, so I have both. Swapping sim cards time to time. I love them both, but having a hard time deciding between the two. Let's start a non bios debate. I prefer Siri vs S Voice, but the S4 camera rocks. Especially after the IO's7 update cuts out a lot of the screen. See my point. Let's go Stackers......

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Which do you have more of an investment in?
    Cases, apps?
    When you use them which is used in a manner that is comfortable, without thinking?

Which do you forget is in your pocket but ready when you need it?

I can tell you to keep the s4. I don't know you. I don't know your prefernces. "Loving them both", if equal.....can be decided by a flip of the coin.

If you read here then you know what I would do. But I'm not you.

In the end the device should be invisible until you choose to see it. It should always be ready to provide the info you need without having to "try and use" it. Should always be fun and easy without being frustrating.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Jay, I think you sold him on the iPhone. Lol

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's like two great girlfriends. You'll have to dump one sooner or later. Nah, lol, you don't have to. Just roll the dice a day at a time!

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    It's going to be a very tough choice. Jay, I agree the Iphone feels good in the pocket and in ones hand. When I'm using my Iphone, I use my Ipad more often to read stuff for example on Flipboard. But when using the Galaxy S4, the Ipad gets forgotten. Would this be easier if Apple offers different size phones, maybe.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by visionthing View Post
    It's going to be a very tough choice. Jay, I agree the Iphone feels good in the pocket and in ones hand. When I'm using my Iphone, I use my Ipad more often to read stuff for example on Flipboard. But when using the Galaxy S4, the Ipad gets forgotten. Would this be easier if Apple offers different size phones, maybe.

OK, I'll make the case for the iPhone and to give you a little background, here's my setup. iPhone, iPad, rMBP and AppleTV.

I use the first three for both work and personal and the combination couldn't be better for me. I'll touch on some hard points that I think really make this combo stand out from the rest.

1) iCloud, while a lot of people want to compare it to Dropbox or Google Drive. It wasn't meant as such service. What it is meant to do is keep your Apple devices synced. That's it. It's not meant to be a cloud storage system, it's not meant o be a file system, it's not there to do anything more than what it does. Keep everything on the same page. That way when you read a book on your iPad and pick it up later on your iPhone. You pick up right where you left off. Photo's, Documents, Spreedsheets, Notes, Reminders. All in sync without having to do anything, there's no set up involved other than signing into your iCloud account on each one you want to sync. Needing cloud storage is not what this is for. There's DB and the likes for that.

2a) The ecosystem. Hands down there isn't one better out there. And having only one makes things much easier. I enjoy haven gone account that I can purchase any type of media on. It keeps multiple cards or one card from being too many places on the internet. I'm a bit paranoid about security on the internet and who has what on file. It's convenient to keep it all in one house and on one account. When I or my wife buys something, it's on all devices. Not just one, I don't have to worry about keeping my iPhone with me if I want to watch a movie, listen to a song or show photo's to guests from the last trip we went on. It's everywhere, and again, without me having to do anything, no setup, no additional accounts. No third party apps to use to try and sync. It just works.
    2b) Apps, There's no denying that most apps you can find on the app store can be found in the Play store. The gap has decreased in the last year but there's still no better place to find quality apps first. Most apps also have an iPad equivalent that comes with the purchase but is optimized for the iPad so your experience there is equally as good.

3) Airplay. This has to be one of my most used features of Apples and at this point I would't want to give it up. It goes back to having one account where everything is located. If i'm out and hear a song that I want own on the radio. I can pick up my iPhone and purchase it but when I get home if I want to listen to it I can play it through my home stereo system. If I'm cooking and want to listen to an album I can use any of my devices and play it through the house. I also use AirPorts for my routers and have an Express out on my deck hooked into the speakers out there. When we have guests over and grill out. I have access to all my playlists and music. I just recently got back from the Caribbean and wanted to show my parents and Grandparents the photos. Simply taking my AppleTV over to their house allows for the experience to be like no other. While it's nice to pass around the iPhone and iPad to show your photos or videos. It's much nicer having it displayed on the big screen where everyone can see it at the same time. There's much more that you can do with this also.

4) Apple Stores and customer support. There's just no substitute for this. If you have an issue, you can take it a store and have you problem solved by the company that actually makes your devices. No middle man, no carrier BS, no run around. Simply the best CS tin the industry from the people that use the same thing you're using. If you travel, and I do, this is something that leaves you with no worries when you do so. If you have an issue on the road, chances are there is an Apple store that you can go to to get it resolved. If not, a simple phone call to Apple can usually get you set up with delivery of a replacement where ever you might be.

5) The Experience. There's just not another OS out there that can give you the experience that iOS and OSX can across whatever device you happen to be using at the time. It's consistent yet different and optimized for each of them. But always delivering something enjoyable to use.

I'll leave it there and close with this. We've all seen the Apple commercials and the Jony Ive videos where they talk about what they try to achieve and what they believe in. The main thing that if you look back through those is a statement that I believe Apple does better than anyone. "...technology is at it's best, when it gets out of the way..". I think this sums up what Apple ttys to do with it's products. You shouldn't feel like you're using an iPhone to watch a movie,read a book,play a game or read the latest sports scores. The content and apps should take center stage. Android has come a long way in the last year and a half and yes, there is much more "customization" available on the S4. You can make it look like no one else's S4. But that's not what I do with my iPhone or iPad. I don't worry about if Joe has the same phone as I do. I don't care if his home screen looks the same. Why does it matter? Because when I use my iPhone I use it for what I want to do, not worrying about if Joe has the same thing. I use to spend hours tinkering with my Androids, constantly changing things to get a different look,make it faster or trying to prefect the setup. Now, I use my device and when I'm done. I put it away until the next time I need it to do something for me. Constantly changing things is fun, I agree. But it doesn't allow me get the tech out of the way and actually use my device, after all, that's what there there for. To be used.

While Android does somethings that iOS doesn't and somethings better than iOS. The whole package is better overall IMO. Especially if you own more than one device. The ecosystem from Apple can't be beat, and the further you dive into it the better it gets.

That's my thought's on not what you should keep but why I choose Apple and why it works best for me. If you have any questions, please do ask.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    BHP, everything you state is the + of iOS. That's why i like it, and for the same reasons. But, foremost is this:

" I use my device and when I'm done. I put it away until the next time I need it to do something for me. Constantly changing things is fun, I agree. But it doesn't allow me get the tech out of the way and actually use my device, after all, that's what there there for. To be used. "

Lately, or for the last 6 months or so, that factor has become extremely essential for me. I'm not wanting to run Android down. It has the greatest of OS's available, but I got tired of tinkering and tuning it. I could never get it to satisfy me. Never.
    So, iOS's greatest fault, the lack of freedom to tinker and change, is it's greatest virtue.
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    chokem likes this.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Having never held a iPhone in my hand other than at the dealer, and being a S4 user I would go with iPhone. Everything I've read, heard and seen tell's me that you can't beat the combo of what the device has to offer, specially if you are hooking up with a iPad, or any other Apple device. I'm just saying don't think you can go wrong.

I like my S4, but I haven't had the opportunity or probably never will have to get a true comparison of what the true difference's are. Once my son switched to the iPhone and iPad for work and play he swears by Apple and will never look back

Just my take for a non-bias attitude

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Thanks for you input BP41. Really well stated. I also have to agree with you and Delfim about the customization of Android. I spend way too much time redesigning my phone. To a point where its almost taking my life over. I do also have Apple Tv, so this do make sence.

I do have ask what is a rMBP? Your deck outside set up sounds great, when can we all come over for a cook out. It starting to get could here in Massachusetts.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by visionthing View Post
    Thanks for you input BP41. Really well stated. I also have to agree with you and Delfim about the customization of Android. I spend way too much time redesigning my phone. To a point where its almost taking my life over. I do also have Apple Tv, so this do make sence.

I do have ask what is a rMBP? Your deck outside set up sounds great, when can we all come over for a cook out. It starting to get could here in Massachusetts.
    I also spend much to much time fiddling with my home screen...the main reason I'd leave Android...if you really want something with a fine camera try the lumia 1020.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Retina MacBook Pro.

Yea, getting cold down here in SC too. Just not NE cold. Haha. If you're in the area, shoot me a PM.

veronicalopz no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's really a difficult question to answer. I think it depends upon your preferences. As per my preference i'll go for S4.
    PapaMag likes this.
    Crazy for smartphones

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Preferences, that's it. Regarding one other important aspect which is pertinent for those of you that keep their phones for a long while, value is better assured with an iPhone. Just check resale value of used good condition iPhones, regardless if the phones are the 4, the 4S or the newer series and you'll find their value far exceeds any other make, be it Android or WP, even BB.
    So if you are seeking a higher trade in value or selling a smartphone on eBay or Craiglist, the best is any iOS smartphone.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    BHP, everything you state is the + of iOS. That's why i like it, and for the same reasons. But, foremost is this:

" I use my device and when I'm done. I put it away until the next time I need it to do something for me. Constantly changing things is fun, I agree. But it doesn't allow me get the tech out of the way and actually use my device, after all, that's what there there for. To be used. "

Lately, or for the last 6 months or so, that factor has become extremely essential for me. I'm not wanting to run Android down. It has the greatest of OS's available, but I got tired of tinkering and tuning it. I could never get it to satisfy me. Never.
    So, iOS's greatest fault, the lack of freedom to tinker and change, is it's greatest virtue.
    Ye of little control. Don't tinker unless you want to. It works great out of the box but is easy and fun to tinker with for those who choose. If you can't control yourself and continue to screw up your phone get an iPhone....and for heavens sake don't jail break it!
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks