The talks have been going on for several weeks now about whether exclusivity deals are ... General Smartphones forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

FCC May Bring Popular Phones to Everyone

Advertisement

The talks have been going on for several weeks now about whether exclusivity deals are hindering smaller carriers from growing and creating monopolies in certain markets as consumers flock to carriers for specific devices. However, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski is turning the focus to the consumer. The official word from Genachowski is that he intends to find out if exclusivity deals are keeping the top devices from consumers in rural areas where these carriers' coverage may be extremely limited or non-existent. He went on to say, "There are markets in the country where if you wanted an iPhone, if you wanted a Pre, you just couldn’t get it–from anyone,”.

Big Red (Verizon) fired back with a letter to the subcommittee overseeing the inquiry by saying, “Exclusivity arrangements promote competition and innovation in device development and design.” AT&T responded similarly with, “The popularity of the iPhone and its innovative features and applications…has provoked an unprecedented competitive reaction.". Seems only natural the two big carriers with more chances at exclusivity deals for the best devices would defend the idea, but Genachowski's big question is, "...is that consistent with broad consumer interests?”

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Another example government meddling where they shouldn't. What is so wrong with a carrier having the marketing clout to get manufacturers to make products just for them? It happens in practically every product business, how come its ok for government to interfere just because these are wireless phones?
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

MEEKO no está en línea Stack level 2
    GOVERNMENT, STAY OUT!!!! There is no need for them to be in the wireless phone business. If you want a Corvette, you have to buy GM, if you want a Mustang, you have to buy Ford. If you want an Iphone, you have to buy AT&T. Seems to me that the Feds have more important things to do than tell the phone company what to sell to who.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by MEEKO View Post
    GOVERNMENT, STAY OUT!!!! There is no need for them to be in the wireless phone business. If you want a Corvette, you have to buy GM, if you want a Mustang, you have to buy Ford. If you want an Iphone, you have to buy AT&T. Seems to me that the Feds have more important things to do than tell the phone company what to sell to who.
    Difference being that I can buy a Corvette or Mustang anywhere in the country. I can't necessarily do the same with a Pre or iPhone unless I want to pay an exorbitant price. Not exactly fair that I should pay through the nose for a device that another consumer can get for 1/4 of the price, when I can't even get service from that carrier in my area.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

johnb51780 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree there has to be someone in control of these carriers or they will do whatever they want just because they have a phone that's popular
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I guess I have a slightly different opinion... Att is subsidising the iphone price for its customers... That's like a specific dealership offering a mustang in houston for $5000 cash back while somewhere in let's say small town texas another dealership just isn't offering a cash back...

I think if a carrier wants to offer a discount on a wireless device they should have the option to... And if you don't want that carrier, then you pay the full tag... If u want the mustang for cheap, go to houston, otherwise pay more in lil town texas...

Most carriers outside of the US, canada and europe do not offer subsidised prices on phones... I paid $800 for my bold... If you want it bad enough, pay for it... Otherwise, don't get it...

Just my humble two cents...
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.266 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179

PIN/ID
    Ask
    The question the FCC was raising here was what if you can't get service from that carrier in that area? Should you then be forced to pay the full cost of the device to be able to use it? If exclusivity deals were non-existent, it would give everyone a chance to utilize them, no matter what carrier they were on. At that point, if your carrier didn't offer a subsidy, then yeah, I'd say you either buy it or switch carriers.
    How to upgrade your OS

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Okay, here we go. I'll be a short winded as possible. I agree with strawder ^^ I do however agree with the majority opinion as well of, "government stay out". But, logically speaking, come on guys, we ALL know, the government is NOT going to stay out. As I'm sure most of ya'll have already heard, the government is trying to put a ban on "free radio" the same concept driving that is behind the wireless communication. But, its just as simple as this, you go to walmart and you buy groceries, you have a choice to buy a product, for instance, Kraft Minute Rice for 5$ or u can choose the Great Value Walmat brand for 3$. JUST like Red was saying. Its a consumer choice. But, yes, government please do stay out. Although I don't always agree with ATT and their dealings, I have to side with ATT and Verizon on this. And really, if you are in an area with little or no service to support these kind of device (unless u frequently travel) what's the point? Instead of sticking their nose in and causing feathers to be ruffled, why not instead encourage these carriers with an incentive for expanding their coverage areas instead of JUST focusing on densely populated areas.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Ok, I have to say something.
    First off, exclusivity deals are something I don't like. When RED got the Storm I almost imploded.
    Second I think these bs exclusivity deals are AT&T and Big Red's way of stayin around. Believe me if you could take your Iphone and pay 50 dollars a month for unlimited everything wouldn't you? No person is so loyal to a company that they'll spend more just to get service from them.(Unless of course that company offers service in an area that another does not)
    Come on Uncle Sam! I want an HTC Hero and with your help I can get one on Tmo! Ha!
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by kayhites717 View Post
    Okay, here we go. I'll be a short winded as possible. I agree with strawder ^^ I do however agree with the majority opinion as well of, "government stay out". But, logically speaking, come on guys, we ALL know, the government is NOT going to stay out. As I'm sure most of ya'll have already heard, the government is trying to put a ban on "free radio" the same concept driving that is behind the wireless communication. But, its just as simple as this, you go to walmart and you buy groceries, you have a choice to buy a product, for instance, Kraft Minute Rice for 5$ or u can choose the Great Value Walmat brand for 3$. JUST like Red was saying. Its a consumer choice. But, yes, government please do stay out. Although I don't always agree with ATT and their dealings, I have to side with ATT and Verizon on this. And really, if you are in an area with little or no service to support these kind of device (unless u frequently travel) what's the point? Instead of sticking their nose in and causing feathers to be ruffled, why not instead encourage these carriers with an incentive for expanding their coverage areas instead of JUST focusing on densely populated areas.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102
    One of the things highlighted in that article from the chairman was that there are areas of the country where good mobile service (data and voice) are available from one carrier, but the one that carries the device you want may only have roaming agreements which result in extra charges or limited use. The major contention here do these deals allow companies to monopolize on parts of the market? Remember, it's not the carrier that has developed the device and technology, but the manufacturers.
    How to upgrade your OS