It seems like every new phone that gets announced is either 3G or gets criticized ... General Smartphones forum

Khalnath no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2096DDEC

Do all phones need 3G?

Advertisement

It seems like every new phone that gets announced is either 3G or gets criticized for not being 3G.

Personally, I think there's room in the market for both EDGE and 3G right now, with both having advantages. 3G is faster, but EDGE phones have better battery life, and tend to feature UMA support if they have wifi. 3G phones do not currently support UMA even if they have wifi support (like the Bold, for example.)

I think 3G is awesome for power users such as myself and probably most stackers, but most people just use their phones for talking and texting. Even most BlackBerry users probably don't use much more than email and IM, for which EDGE is perfectly adequate. (My last BB was an 8100 Pearl.)

For that matter, 3G is such a new technology that some BlackBerry developers have been surprised at my bug reports that their software deliberately disconnects when I'm on a voice call, because they weren't aware that the 3G Bold is capable of simultaneous voice and data.

What do you think?

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    In before " 3G is overrated "

I don't believe that every phone has to have 3G, but I do believe that if a maker of a cell phone want's their new model of phone to be competitive in today's market they have no choice but to go with the 3G technology.

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    personally i think that edge is perfectly fine for most things that are done on a blackberry. however, that being said, i will upgrade to a 3g model the day tmo catches up to yesterdays technology. for me, the reason for that will be to get my slingbox working how it's supposed to, and not just on wi-fi.

streaming radio works just fine on edge, i don't need youtube, i think that edge is just fine, but then again, noone would want to go to gprs when edge is available...so if 3g is available, not many people are going to want to stay on edge for much longer.

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    3G is definitely the future standard, I just think it's not quite ready for widespread adoption. Once the chipsets available to manufacturers are better optimized (and include UMA support), EDGE will start getting pushed out. I don't think 3G is so much overrated as it is a tradeoff. Get more speed, give up some other stuff. Whether the tradeoff is worth it or not depends on your usage.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I keep my 3g turned off on my g1. I'd rather have better battery life. For the websites I browse EDGE suits me just fine.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Do all phones need 3G? No absolutely not.
    Smart phones are a little different question. The Bold is a great example of how 3G can be beneficial and a big selling point. You can be talking on the phone and still be receiving emails and txt messages.
    I'm starting to think 3G is here and gone already b/c 4G is already being advertised and discussed everywhere not to mention tested. 3G is a short lived technology and will be all but gone next year.

Let's hope 4G is really 4G for everyone and not like 3G has been (a Perk, if your lucky) enough to be in a larger city.

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    From what I hear, 4G is even more premature than 3G was. IMO it's also pretty unnecessary... what phones have the horsepower to render fast enough to make even 3G worthwhile? 4G isn't necessary until we start seeing more powerful smartphones or carriers start shilling cellular modems harder.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i do use my phone for browser than anything else and im on EDGE at all times, and i have to say that it is really fast (its a bold) but sure 3g is the next standar...
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

johnb51780 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think 3g is nice but not really needed I've been using my BB on tmobile edge for years now and it works perfect its always there while my buddies are whining cause they lost there 3g connection (damn att)I have no issues at all

CrunchDude no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by aldie View Post
    personally i think that edge is perfectly fine for most things that are done on a blackberry. however, that being said, i will upgrade to a 3g model the day tmo catches up to yesterdays technology. for me, the reason for that will be to get my slingbox working how it's supposed to, and not just on wi-fi.

streaming radio works just fine on edge, i don't need youtube, i think that edge is just fine, but then again, noone would want to go to gprs when edge is available...so if 3g is available, not many people are going to want to stay on edge for much longer.
    You're going to LOVE SlingPlayer for BB.
    It's all about the Berry! BlackBerry Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.314 w/ BBM 5.0.0.33...works like a final build| ...awaiting release of BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ HSPA 7.2! :D

lucywong no está en línea Stack level 1
    about 3G phone, indubitability it give our life more convenient, but for others,maybe the 3G do not make sense.No matter what they say, 3G's appearance is symbol of technical progress.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    If you live in an area where 3G is a rumor, its a huge kick in the pants. Carriers like AT&T make you pay full price for phones and plans that can't function as advertised on their networks because the company won't spend the money to upgrade their network outside of the major metro areas. I would consider a 3G device if it would actually work where I live.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Personally, I'd like to see all BB's have 3G and Wi-Fi/UMA (UMA being carrier specific) support. The inclusion of all of these means the phone would rarely, if ever, be out of touch.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Now that I have an iPhone I must admit I do like having the 3g on. I like getting my emails and instant messages while I'm talking on the phone. I've gotten use to it now.