Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Ever since del mentioned that I ought to take up iPhone and Droid Theming I ... General Smartphones forum

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda

delfim Has Me Pulling My Hair Out

Advertisement

Ever since del mentioned that I ought to take up iPhone and Droid Theming I have spent endless hours looking for any kind of software that would allow me to make something I could even be remoted comfortable about asking someone to test out for me. Everything I have found so far is very simple with no room for special effects other than the icons and home and lock image.

I am thinking the only way to do this is to be sporting an iPhone, not that I wouldn't like one but I just don't see it happening. Thanks del I was a bit bored and you have now replaced that with frustration lol.

If anyone has any ideas of where I can get some pc software with a reasonably good simulator please let me know. Thanks in advance, I have been scanning the forums but notta so far
    jfcooley likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    can't wait to see your iPhone theming
    :) iNurse :)

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Dont do it Papa. Ive got a tmo Cliq 2 I will donate. Funds froyo but will be something to start with.
    PapaMag likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You do theming for iOS or Droid, I'll buy. Knowing the quality you always show with your themes its a sure thing.
    Regarding your hair, although its cheaper than going to the barber, its painful...
    iNurse likes this.

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    .........getting excited!
    :) iNurse :)

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Thanks Jay not sure where to go with this yet, but I'll be working on what I can do with it, and del thanks. Lora don't get too excited yet I'm a long way away from iOS and iPhone, but I appreciate your excitement

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I find this thread an interesting cross roads for someone. Let's think about your considerations for a moment and break it down so you can begin to make the best choice for your passion.

1. Where is RIM going, OS, Handsets etc
    2. How many current RIM users will follow over to 2013 RIM products
    3. Of those who is interested in Themes

Just a few quick Q's I'm sure others can add some more below.

One of the first things that comes to everyones mind when discussing Android is how it can be customized. Even people who know nothing about smartphones know this and it's what attracts them to it. This is where your new audience is and they are activating something like 500k new phones a day.

iOS is sort of in the same boat with Jail breaking. Both younger and older generation users are all aware of it and explore it. I think if you can find a way to focus on Android or iOS you will end up with much larger following that has a future.

The transition may be painful at first ($) but it may prove to be fruitful?
    PapaMag, Delfim and jfcooley like this.

Give you an idea how popular turning is or just customizing is, look on the market for gothemess, adw themes, etc. Theress even an app that allows rooted users to open up an apk and change it as they please. I can change Gmail icon permanently. (Ninjamorph)

One thing nearly ALL android users do is Chang something to personalize their device.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I agree 100%, truth be known I am making a tad over $100 a month in AppWorld and thinks have been picking up as of late, mostly in the Asian and European Markets. Here are the plain and simple facts and roadblocks that prevent me from attacking with great vigor.

1 - I have been without work and forced into retirement since Aug 2009 and am approaching 61.
    2 - My wife is being forced into retirement in about 2 weeks, therefore we are now on a very tight and limited budget.
    3 - I do not own a Android Device or a iPhone for the purpose of building loading and understanding the themes I would be creating.
    4- I have been building themes since I started with PinStack in 2006 and have a good understanding of what will and won't work even though I don't own the device, only the 9700 Bold.
    5 - There really isn't any software available for iOS that gives me the opportunity to even build a theme or test it in a simulator before asking someone to test it on their iPhone.
    6 - As for Droid I think I could probably get that one rolling with a droid in hand, but you still need the text coding for individual droids to create the img.png.

Trust me I would like nothing better than to venture into these areas

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Not the best device but it could get you going. My offer stands, just let me know.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Jay I appreciate it and will take you up on it and probably return it when I get rolling figure things out.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Jay I appreciate it and will take you up on it and probably return it when I get rolling figure things out.
    PM your adress. Can't mail till Monday.

Didnt realize I had already posted. Sorry.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 03-01-2012 at 01:29 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I agree 100%, truth be known I am making a tad over $100 a month in AppWorld and thinks have been picking up as of late, mostly in the Asian and European Markets. Here are the plain and simple facts and roadblocks that prevent me from attacking with great vigor.

1 - I have been without work and forced into retirement since Aug 2009 and am approaching 61.
    2 - My wife is being forced into retirement in about 2 weeks, therefore we are now on a very tight and limited budget.
    3 - I do not own a Android Device or a iPhone for the purpose of building loading and understanding the themes I would be creating.
    4- I have been building themes since I started with PinStack in 2006 and have a good understanding of what will and won't work even though I don't own the device, only the 9700 Bold.
    5 - There really isn't any software available for iOS that gives me the opportunity to even build a theme or test it in a simulator before asking someone to test it on their iPhone.
    6 - As for Droid I think I could probably get that one rolling with a droid in hand, but you still need the text coding for individual droids to create the img.png.

Trust me I would like nothing better than to venture into these areas
    Well? There's so much I could say and don't know where to begin? Given your current status I would hold pat and let what is in place continue. I would begin to reduce the number of new BB Themes released going forward to open up valuable time to focus on exploring Android and/or iOS options.

I don't feel your going to suddenly bust a nut all the sudden and bump that $100 a month up by any new Theme or RIM device and that says a lot when thinking about the future. It's very, very hard now to make a Theme appear as though it revolutionizes a RIM device unlike in the early days of Themes. (hope that makes sense?).

Side note: RIM really missed the boat with Themes back in 05-06 but that's another long story for another thread.

Pause a bit and begin learning more about what is needed along with the associated cost. I'm sure something will pop up allowing you to get your hands on an iPhone or numerous Android devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast