I have had my blackberry pearl (8100) for over a year now and it ran ... General Smartphones forum

unstopabl3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile BlackBerry Pearl TrackBall / Select Button Gone Crazy!

Advertisement

I have had my blackberry pearl (8100) for over a year now and it ran just fine until recently. The select / trackball button started getting pressed automatically, selecting which ever menu / icon was highlighted.

I have tried resetting the phone, opening up the trackball compartment and cleaning it with alcohol swabs, re-installing to the latest OS after doing a "Clear Phone / Delete Everything Procedure" but still no fruit.

After this I experimented a couple of things with same results.

1) I took out the trackball making sure there is nothing on the select button sensor, still the phone keeps selecting and selecting and selecting ...

2) I've kept the trackball inside as it should be and it stopped selecting until I moved the ball up and down the same process began again.

Please provide your insight on this issue and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Take the trackball out of the device. When you do this you will see the little brass click button in the center. That button is curved so when you press it it flexes and connects the two parts of the button. Either the curved brass piece has lost its curve and is always connecting the circut or it has slide out of its normal position. Its only held on there by a layer of tape.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Ok I made a diagram to help lol. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Warning Do at own risk, There are no replacement parts for this solid online

Below is the bb8100 without the trackball. Circled in red is the brass button that is having issues.

1. Here is a basic run down on how the button works. The gold circles are what causes the button to send its signal the phone when they are connected together. The black half circle is the brass button that the trackball pushes down that give the click feel.

2. When you depress the trackball it pushes the brass button down and connects the two gold pieces together which inturn lets the singal through to the phone telling it that a button was pushed

So here is the problem

A. The brass button has lost its curve and is always touching the two gold circles

B. the brass button has slid over a little and is also connecting the toe gold circles

Like I said in the post before, this brass button is only held on by tape so you can pull it off and bend the button back to a normal curve or you can adjust the postion of it so its not touching both gold circles.

Thats really all there is about it.
    Last edited by jeffallen8; 06-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.