Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've got a BB Curve and I'm a long time TMO customer. I'm rethinking the ... General Smartphones forum

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Best Internet Browsing?

Advertisement

I've got a BB Curve and I'm a long time TMO customer. I'm rethinking the whole phone thing these days as the internet on the BB just plain sucks. I want something faster and better. I don't need any of the stuff that the BB offers such as the calendar, etc. I have zero need for apps. I just want a phone that I can also use to browse the web and do some very light email like yahoo and hotmail. My domain account I could access through mailtoweb if necessary.

Now, I could jump ship if need be. My contract with TMO is not up until December but I don't really care. I'll swallow the penalties. Honestly, when I signed up with them seven years ago one reason was because no other company had good reception in our remote corner of MA but nowadays TMO is probably the worst. So at this point ATT or even Verizon would probably serve me better.

So what do you folks recommend these days as the number one mobile internet browsing experience?

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    It depends on you yourself. Me personally, I use bolt. You could try bolt and opera and see which you like better and keep. If you get blackberry from verizon or even att there really isn't much a difference, expect for service performance.

Well that's just it... I'm ready to dump BB. What about Droid, iphone, etc?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Heck that's an easy one. The iPhone with Mobile Safari is awesome. I know others will debate that but you were pretty specific and asked about mobile browsing and a mobile browser

Look at any stat from any site and u will see Safari wins.

I think in a year from now it will still be the most used mobile browser also.

But don't discount Androids Browser b/c it's also great.

I think in addition to the browser you should also consider the screen your looking at. Even Safari or Android's mobile browser would be horrible on a small screen.

The one thing we do 100% of the time we use mobile devices is look at the screen. The screen size is very important.

Ok.... Let's hear from some Droid users now.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

I should mention that every month or two I get a day where my phone stops reading "tmobile" across the top and says "unicell" instead. When this happens my calls get messed up and my voice mail rolls over to the mailbox rather than letting me access it. When I have asked about this to the tmo people they act all stupid and have nothing to say. But obviously they must be sharing a tower with unicell or something and the network gets screwed up periodically. It's a pain in the butt though.

Not that I wouldn't consider the iphone but the lack of access to the battery really bothers me as do most design features of Apple products in general. I hate sleek and minimalist and that is all they seem to offer. My personal prejudices aside though, does it really have the best browsing capability? I will have to play with one for longer than 30 seconds to get the feel of it I guess...

Doing some more research and I really like what I see with the Nexus One. Damn! This looks like a fun toy and has that internet connection that I'm looking for. I think I'll be looking into it more this week and see if I can find one to try out. Best of all I wouldn't have to change carriers...

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm sure the Nexus phone would be a good choice plus as u mentioned (same carrier). It's a phone with a future.

Well the big question is, I have 11 months left on my contract so not sure I could get a discount or not on a Nexus. I already threatened to jump ship and upgraded my contract last time to get the Curve. So will they do it again? Or do I have to get the phone from Google and pay full price? I already checked it on Google's site and they would not let me upgrade my plan.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You would need to buy it outright for $529.00 from Googles website. TMO can't make any deals to upgrade early.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Thanks for that clarification.

OK, so if I buy it then how do I get it activated? Is it just as simple as swapping the Sim card? Can I drop my blackberry Add on portion of my plan or is that the data part that the Nexus One will need? As you can tell, I'm a bit fuzzy on this stuff because they make it so friggin confusing.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Heck that's an easy one. The iPhone with Mobile Safari is awesome.

Ok.... Let's hear from some Droid users now.
    I currently have three Smartphones I use (just for variety and the fun of it).

1) iPhone 3gs
    2) Droid
    3) BB 9000

I agree 100% with srl7741 currently nothing beats an iPhone 3Gs for web use.

That said, the Droid is a near equal, which I believe may very well surpass the iPhone in a very short time.

There is no better time than the present to watch the Android platform closely, as it matures into what I believe may be the very best of all smartphone OS's in a matter of months.

Well, I just may sit and wait a while more. I will be looking to make a change in the fall when my contract is closer to done. By then who knows, might be something even better than the Nexus One.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    TMO doesn't have an adjustable ETF, so if you cancel in the fall, you will still have to pay a $200 ETF.

Well I'm doing some more reading and it looks like maybe an unlocked and activated N1 will work with my current plan since I already have the BB data plan. Right? Somehow I'm getting the feeling that I might not be waiting until fall after all. I must say, it would be cool to be able to switch back and forth between phones which is what a lot of you folks seem to be doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast