I use a Eee PC Netbook for my laptop computer, and it shipped with Windows ... General Smartphones forum

Android is Linux?

Advertisement

I use a Eee PC Netbook for my laptop computer, and it shipped with Windows 7. I replaced Win7 with Ubuntu, a free Linux distro, and turned my netbook into a supercomputer. The difference in speed and accuracy is astonishing. I will never go back to Windows again. Then, while studying through Linux and how it is being applied, I discovered - - that Android is derived, and may be a distro, of Linux! As a 9700 user, I've had fun bashing Android devices - but now, seeing how well Linux works on my Eee PC, I may take a closer look at a device switch. If Android is as strong as the Linux distros available for computers, then I need to give it a second look!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I love ubuntu as well. I have xp and Linux currently running on my machine. Great OS hands down. But I wont go droid well not yet at least
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Android is the best OS. I've used all of them: windows, bb, iphone, symbian and Android is the most powerful one of all. Also have win7 64bit n ubuntu on desktop

Obviously this is MY opinion so all the bashers sit back and relax

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The biggest difference I have seen with the Android software and Linux is the amount of modifications and the number of locks the manufacturers of the cell phones themselves put on it. As open as Android is supposed to be, companies like Samsung, Motorola, at&t, etc..... lock the software down so the end user loses what makes Linux and open source so wonderful. Sad to say they do it partly to increase the ease of customer use so more users will be able to adopt and keep using the units....

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    The biggest difference I have seen with the Android software and Linux is the amount of modifications and the number of locks the manufacturers of the cell phones themselves put on it. As open as Android is supposed to be, companies like Samsung, Motorola, at&t, etc..... lock the software down so the end user loses what makes Linux and open source so wonderful. Sad to say they do it partly to increase the ease of customer use so more users will be able to adopt and keep using the units....

Zo
    So basically in Android, you're getting the Linux kernel without the GNU (open source software, etc). So one can't call it GNU/Linux. So it acts like a straightforward, hard-nosed OS, and not the wonderfully adaptive Linux we get on our PCs.