Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

when I got my phone (HTC Snap S521) it worked very well. no freezing, no ... General Smartphones forum

KTW Guest

aging tech

Advertisement

when I got my phone (HTC Snap S521) it worked very well. no freezing, no lagging, very responsive, no crashing. well well well...almost 2 years have past and now it lags, crashes, and isn't that reliable. how do you... well stop a cellphone from aging to keep it functioning beautifully, I know about registry software but as far as I know that's only for computers. Any suggestions ?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The software is normally the cause of the poor effects. Best bet to keep the original software on the device and not add any new Apps or OS. They are not meant to run on the older hardware specs and tend to make things slow down or lag etc.

KTW Guest
    my phones specs ain't terrible. its still better than the average bb.

my phones specs:
    528 MHz processor.
    192 MB of RAM.
    the os is still the original one that came with the phone.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Have you added any new Apps over time? They may cause it to slow down depending on what they are? It should not just slow down due to age something has to be causing it.

On the other hand if you pick up a new device and compare it to an old one both factory default w/everything your going to notice the old one being slow or sluggish but there is nothing wrong with it. Devices become smoother and quicker as they are released.

When I turn on my original iP and hold my iP4 in the other hand and interact with them you can see just how slow the old iP was even tho at the time it did not seem that way. Technology simply gets better over time as does the new hardware.

lak611 likes this.

KTW Guest
    The only problem I can think of is...well its been ages since last I updated my software. the phone has been asking me for the past 8 months to connect to the internet so that the software can be updated. Could this be the problem?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    that could help. as srl said it is most likely some app that is causing your problem. my suggestion would be to do a factory reset,update all the software and add back apps a few at a time over a period of days. that way you may be able to pinpoint what the problem app might be.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

KTW Guest
    I do factory rests almost on a monthly basis. the problems start to appear after about 30 minutes. I've tried scaring for viruses about 2 months ago but found nothing. I think my phone is just in desperate need of an update. it gives me update reminders...tells me to connect my phone to PC...Then I select connect on the cellphone and nothing happens. (it runs on windows mobile 6.5 standard os)

PIN/ID
    wut?
    do the problems come back 30 min after a reset even with no 3rd party apps installed?

KTW Guest
    only third party app I've got is opera mini. But rather more like 27 minutes.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    we need to get that software updated some way. have you tried not installing opra mini after a factory reset? i'm not familiar with this os so i'm just trying to suggest some general fixes. if you've done all these things i'd suggest taking it back to your carrier.i'm sure it's out of warranty but they might be able to update your software for you.if all else fails it might just be time to step it up and get you a bright and shiny new device.

KTW Guest
    I've got my sites set on the HTC sensation. It will be months before I'm due for an upgrade.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    sounds like a good choice. are you with verizon? take it in and let them check it out. i have went in with a bad device and they let me upgrade early because my phone was messed up and out of warranty.

KTW Guest
    Uh...Version ?
    if I'm not mistaken, isn't that in the US ?

KTW Guest
    I have a contract with Nashua Mobile and my service provider is CellC. I live in Johannesburg/South Africa if your wondering. Here I don't think I will receive service that good.

what device do you have ?

KTW Guest
    Finally ! I had the chance and time to get a software update :-D. 2-3 days ago my phone was almost...unusable. then I took it to lab88 and got exactly what the phone needed...a good old software update... now it runs as good as new.

thanks for your help cat :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast