Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Below are some of the most common questions I am asked during the day regarding ... iPhone Guides forum

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid

Iphone FAQ'S

Advertisement

Below are some of the most common questions I am asked during the day regarding the iPhone 3G:
    Im going to continue to modify this based on what comes up and other questions that are commonly asked.
    All items in discussion that take place on a computer are in a Windows enviroment, I have a Mac but dont use it so unless it specifically says this is for a Mac assume that it is going to be in Windows.

Does the ipod touch apply to any of this info?
    Yes, The iphone and ipod touch run the same software so pretty much everything that doesnt mess with the phone should work on your ipod touch.

Can I use my iPhone on another carrier other than AT&T?
    yes and no, if your phone is not jailbroken you cannot without the use of a turbo sim or equivalent. There are a few requirements to software "Unlock" your phone.
    1. Jailbroken
    2. OS 2.2 or lower (2.2.1 with bootloader version 5.08)
    3. yellowsn0w
    Once you have met these requirements you are able to use your phone on any GSM carrier.

How do I Jailbreak my Iphone?
    http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/7

What is yellowsn0w and how do I get it?
    Yellowsn0w is the first software unlock for the iPhone 3G. With yellowsn0w you can unlock your iPhone 3G and use it with other carriers besides AT&T. You can download it by adding the yellowsn0w repo to your Cydia sources.
    The repo URL is http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com.

How do I know what Baseband I have?
    To check what baseband you have go to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware on your iPhone 3G.

How do I know what Firmware I have?
    To check what firmware version you have go to Settings > General > About > Version on your iPhone 3G.

How do I unlock my Iphone 3G?
    http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/11

I want to unlock my phone but I am on a phone with baseband 2.30.03 and bootloader 5.09?
    you can use a device such as a turbo sim to achieve this but it can be fairly complicated.

What is cydia and does it come on all iPhones?
    Cydia is a package installer/manager for the Iphone and Ipod Touch. Cydia is usually installed on an iPhone via jailbreaking; it is included in QuickPwn as an item that the user can select.

How do I get free paid apps on my Iphone?
    http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/8

What can I do if I download installous on my iphone and it doesn't work?
    Well you can either try reinstalling the app, changing the install method to "dirty", or do it the old fashioned way and visit http://appulo.us/ on your computer that you sync your iTunes to. On the site you do the same as you would as on your phone search then download. Once you have the file downloaded to your computer, open iTunes click your iPhone then click sync apps tab on the top right and choose to sync all apps [this step only needs to be done once!]. once you have setup your iTunes to sync apps double click the file you downloaded to add to your itunes library and the next time you sync your phone the app will be installed onto your iphone.

What is Winterboard?
    WinterBoard truly is the modern replacement for SummerBoard. It is a program that allows the customization of your phone.

How do I SSH into my iPhone?
    http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/12

How do I setup my iPhone so that I get a better battery life?
    Turn off the following:
    *Bluetooth [if not in use]
    *Location Services
    *Push email service, instead set it up to fetch in scheduled intervals.
    *3G - especially if you are in a bad coverage area
    Turn on your auto-lock if not in use

I've Jailbroken my iPhone now what are can I do?
    If you follow this link, http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/10 , you will find some essential programs to download once you have jailbroken your phone.

Im tired of the same old stuff in cydia, is there any other places to find stuff?
    here is a big list of sources to add into cydia to get more apps, http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/13.

Where is a good place to get themes?
    cydia sources that contain extra themes not included already are: www.ipod-touch-themes.de/repo & http://ispaziorepo.com/cydia/apt/ & http://apt.guardiansofchaos.com

I hate the touch screen keyboard, I wish it felt more like a real keyboard?
    well you just may be in luck! there is a program called HapticPro that is available that gives a slight vibration when ever you touch the screen. It makes you feel as if you where typing on your trusty old BB that your iPhone replaced. It is available for download through the cydia store for $2.99 USD.

I live in a rural area and cant receive high speed internet is there anyway I can use my phone for internet at the house?
    your in luck there are many programs that allow you to tether to your computer either via wifi adhoc connection or usb connection. PdaNet, modem & tether are the ones that come to mind for programs. I recommend PdaNet it allows for USB & WiFi connections whereas the others only offer wifi. Here is how to setup and use it http://neorabid.com/iphone/archives/14. The cost is $29.95 USD and can be attained through cydia.

I want to use a video as my background, is there any way to do this?
    yes, through the use a program obtainable through cydia called "vWallpaper". This program allows for the use of .mov files to be used for background pictures.

What can and can't you do on iTunes if you unlocked & jailbroke it?
    You should be able continue to use iTunes as normal if your jailbroken, unlocked on other carriers may pose a few problems.

Can you choose what programs you want to run in the background with that background program or will everything always be on?
    With the program "Backgrounder" you are able to choose what programs run, you simply run backgrounder once then to put a program in the background you just open the program then hold the home button for 3 seconds and it is put into memory. If everything was in the memory you wouldnt be able to do anything there would be none left.

If I have wifi on and I'm talking on the phone, will IMs (assuming I'm running the background program) and e-mails come in or will they come in after I'm off the phone?
    Your phone should allow for emails to come in without running backgrounder. The IMs will continue to come in if you have your IM program running in the background.

Can you copy & paste or do you have to download a program for that?
    You have to have a program such as Clippy, hClipboard, or CopiercIN to have this function until OS 3.0 comes out.

If I have a BB data plan can I use it on the iphone and vice versa?
    If you are using the BB data plan on iPhone you should be able to do everything but visual voicemail, If you are on an iPhone plan and you switch your sim to a BB you will only be able to use Media Net and will not be able to access the BB app world.
    Last edited by neorabid; 05-14-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

sadie84 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Since I'm (well... will be) a brand new iPhone user, thought I'd help out and think up some questions for your thread

1. What is cydia and does it come on all iPhones?
    2. What is Winterboard?
    3. If you're using the iPhone on a different carrier than At&T, can you still use it with iTunes? I was told not to by one person because iTunes would then lock the phone; then another told me it was okay to..??
    4. Is it true that if you put epc.tmobile.com in settings>> General>>network>>Cellular Data Network>> and where it says VPN you'll be able to use the blackberry data on T-Mobile?
    5. What's a good place to get themes?
    6. If you can't use yellowsn0w to unlock your phone because of the bootloader, what other options do you have to unlock it?
    Last edited by sadie84; 05-04-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Like the angel you are you laugh creating a lightness in my chest,
    Your eyes they penetrate me,
    (Your answer's always 'maybe')
    That's when I got up and left.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    bump for sticky

also if anyone else has some more questions that you feel everyone else has please dont be afraid to ask.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Great stuff, it should really help as people continue to learn and still have questions.

May consider adding after Jailbreaking how to use with other carriers and what does and does not work.
    For example: Verizon is still out and with TMO 3G will not work with the iPhone however Edge & WiFi will.

ps. If Sticky and locked please delete my post to help clean up the FAQ's.
    Last edited by srl7741; 05-06-2009 at 12:04 AM.

PIN/ID
    ask
    oh i thought of another one:

What can and can't you do on iTunes if you unlocked & jailbroke it?

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    i got one!!!! what can i do if i download installous on my iphone and dont work because anything i download dont show even thogh i downloaded mipath as well? why is this happening to me!!!

PIN/ID
    ask
    more questions:

• Can you choose what programs you want to run in the background with that background program or will everything always be on?

• If I have wifi on and I'm talking on the phone, will IMs (assuming I'm running the background program) and e-mails come in or will they come in after I'm off the phone?
    • Can you copy & paste or do you have to download a program for that?

btw, Neo you rock for doing this and being so helpful! :d

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    for some reason I cant edit my thread anymore?

What is the most apps I can have installed at a time?
    144 max apps at a time on screen without installing Categories. Theoretically you can download however many apps your phone can handle in storage but without installing categories you are only going to be able to have 144 active icons at a time (not including the dock).

Can I sync to multiple iTunes on different computers?
    Yes and No, without jailbreaking your phone you are stuck to one computer syncing of non-iTunes purchased music? (ive never bought any music off of iTunes so I dont know if your computer is authorized if it will allow you to download and sync on the new one as well). If you are jailbroken however, you can download a program called SwapTunes which allows you to swap back and forth from different itunes folders similar to a RollSwap program for taking pictures into different folders.
    Last edited by neorabid; 05-26-2009 at 03:39 AM.
    Quotes to live by:

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Normally I'm pretty good with different phones and how to use them and have a pretty good basic understanding of how things work under the hood.

HOWEVER!

Today I purchased a new still in the box 1st Gen iPhone (16GB) so I Jail Broke it and unlocked it. I also installed the newest OS 3.0. Things seems to work great and there were no surprises.

The down side is I have no clue (who, what, why, how) to use any of it. I think I'm going to put it back in the box and put it in the drawer for another day.

For now I'm headed over to neorabid's to read.

Why did I ever do that? (sigh....)

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Going to Update my post to reflect OS 3.0 changes soon.
    Quotes to live by:

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Normally I'm pretty good with different phones and how to use them and have a pretty good basic understanding of how things work under the hood.

HOWEVER!

Today I purchased a new still in the box 1st Gen iPhone (16GB) so I Jail Broke it and unlocked it. I also installed the newest OS 3.0. Things seems to work great and there were no surprises.

The down side is I have no clue (who, what, why, how) to use any of it. I think I'm going to put it back in the box and put it in the drawer for another day.

For now I'm headed over to neorabid's to read.

Why did I ever do that? (sigh....)
    Well if you have any questions or anything, PM me or something. I'm generally around a computer for most of the day burning time on forums.

hyphen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30BCDAA6
    so i couldn't figure out why if i turned my phone off i couldn't get it to turn back on to i went back to basics i have the 3.0 os on a 3g iphone with the baseband of 4.42 or something "idk phone is downloading right now"

so if you want the free apps and you do this as followed if my phone ever restared or tuned off it wouldnt come back on so what i did was ....

you must install in this order:
    1: miPatch Firmware 2.2.1 " i didnt install this one and phone wrks perfectly now..... "until the next fn bug i find"

ne one know what the miPatch Firmware 2.2.1 is for?
    how vain it is for me to sit down and write when alot of you yahoo's never stood up to live ps give thanks when ur helped if you dont ur the yahoo i talk about... sorta

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    so i couldn't figure out why if i turned my phone off i couldn't get it to turn back on to i went back to basics i have the 3.0 os on a 3g iphone with the baseband of 4.42 or something "idk phone is downloading right now"

so if you want the free apps and you do this as followed if my phone ever restared or tuned off it wouldnt come back on so what i did was ....
    LINK DELETED

1: miPatch Firmware 2.2.1 " i didnt install this one and phone wrks perfectly now..... "until the next fn bug i find"

Please get rid of your link, as all that info is about pirating software on the iphone which isn't allowed here. miPatch firmware 2.2.1 is one part you needed for the 2.2.1 firmware to allow you to use cracked apps without paying for them... but again I won't go into more detail as it's illegal.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post

allows the syncing of itunes and the installed programs. mipatch doesnt work on os 3.0
    Quotes to live by:

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

Nursing School Students and Medical Students

Hey I thought this would help as well-

My daughter goes to the Ohio State University College of Nursing, now listed as one of the best in the USA!, They require the students to have a Multi-Media device so they connect to the Universities Server and stream Media Live at a Lecture-

She used a HP edia Mate at first, we then migrated to a AT&T Tilt, (Any normal parent would go "Tilt") nothing but big troubles with them all-

We were notified a couple days ago that the School has migrated to the Apple IPHone or Touch for the Students, their software venndors finally came through with the right stuff, and they work FLAWLESSLY, compared to the other stuff available-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast