Symbian maintains the code for an open source software platform based on Symbian OS and ... Nokia News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Symbian: The world's most popular smartphone OS, now 100% open

Advertisement

Symbian maintains the code for an open source software platform based on Symbian OS and software assets contributed by Nokia, NTT DOCOMO, and Sony Ericsson, including the S60 and MOAP(S) user interfaces.

Today Symbian Foundation announced that they've made source code for the entire Symbian platform available to everyone, free of charge. This comes four months ahead of schedule. What does this mean? Well for one, similar to Android we should soon start to see Symbian-powered devices from different manufacturers such as Samsung , Huawei and Sony Ericsson.

View the full press release or our blog for more information.

Read More

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    The one thing I am not sure about is the "The world's most popular smartphone OS"

But I am really glad it's open source now.

PIN/ID
    ask
    This isn't the case in the US, but world view.

Symbian has nearly as much market share as the rest of its competitors combined, with more than 330 million Symbian smartphones in use.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I hope RIM takes advantage of this
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    ask
    I'm hoping in future it works out and helps raise the bar for ALL platforms Android, Blackberry, iPhone, WM, Palm, etc.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I think they saw the writing on the wall. Think about it? They have been number one world wide for a very long time. Android OS has changed things for everyone. I really don't think they had a choice.

Smart move by Symbian. Now lets see what everyone can do with it to make it a more rich full features smart phone OS.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    I'm hoping in future it works out and helps raise the bar for ALL platforms Android, Blackberry, iPhone, WM, Palm, etc.
    Now, that's the challenge. Foresight is the best investment. Lets see what the future brings us!
    A very significant step Forward!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Change is good, especially if it spurs creativity and progress. More open source options means healthy competition in the industry.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4